Author Topic: Central  (Read 10040 times)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
Re: Central
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
No LibDem candidate?

I'm satisfied with the way that Bob Wright has conducted his role as Central Ward Councillor. I've witnessed him putting forward, and defending my views particularly concerning Coate.

However, I have zero confidence in Derique Montaut.

How does my vote effect Bob Wright's councillor status if I don't vote Labour at this election?

Seems that Drone missed some of the Advers article. He it is in full and there is a Lib Dem

CENTRAL
Defending their seat:
Derique Montaut (Labour)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS:
I am currently the Leader of the Labour Group and have been highly critical of the Conservative administration’s policies on town centre regeneration, the privatisation of public services, and cuts to low income families and the vulnerable.
If re-elected as a Central ward councillor, I promise to: Work to empower local communities Fight to establish a 20mph zone in all residential areas Call for more developers to be used within the Ward And fight for a new school in the Central area.
I have held all the high offices of the council, with the exception of being council leader, including being the Mayor of Thamesdown Council in 1990.
Challenging:

CENTRAL:
Garry Porter (Lib Dem)
IN HIS OWN WORDS: Garry Porter retired from the RAF last year after 32 years, following a long flying career. As an air commodore, he commanded all RAF forces assigned to operations in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2005-6; more recently, he ran an international think-tank, one of a number of ground appointments in high level planning – he is no stranger to difficult situations. Garry has maintained a residence in Central Ward since 2007 – a district similar to the urban area in Bristol where he was raised. He is particularly keen to see more attention paid to improving Swindon Centre – the fact that Swindon is plummeting down the league of desirable shopping destinations (Swindon Advertiser Jan 2011) is a disgrace and indicative of a lack of imagination and drive by both the Conservative Council and the ward’s Labour councillors! We need to continue the Liberal Democrat led action to sort out parking, especially for residents, and take a hard look at regeneration across the town centre to ensure we build a thriving and attractive community for all. Garry would also work for greater transparency in Council decision making – too much goes on behind closed doors and voters’ views are too often taken for granted rather than sought!

Karsten Evans (Independent)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS:
No matter which party candidate gets elected, it always ends up the same with ‘Promises, promises’! I can not promise anything, except to do my best for people in Central and to find out more of what happens in SBC.
I stand FOR: Town Poll on residents parking, an elected mayor, a development ban near Coate, more openness regarding Freedom of Information requests, political reform.
I stand AGAINST: Nuclear power plants, unfair parking fees at the hospital, housing developments on Greenfield land, cuts to vital Swindon’s charities, costly town centre regeneration projects that should be postponed until economy. recovers.

Paul Gregory (Conservative)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS:
I represent ‘Equalities’ on a number of borough council committees including Swindon Children’s Trust Board and have been a governor at Churchfields School in Upham Road for three years I believe that the Central Ward needs a stronger voice within the council, the ward can be better represented by an active Conservative councillor who can ensure that Central’s problems and assets can be more effectively highlighted As I work and live in the centre of town I have witnessed firsthand the blight of empty shops, offices and vacant building sites. I would make it my priority to tackle these. Our local planners must prioritize regeneration of the Swindon’s Centre before allowing any further development on greenfield sites around Swindon

Robert Oliver Heritage (Green)
PARTY PROFILE: Bob has been a member of Swindon & District Green Party for 20 years. He has stood several times as a candidate in local elections.
As someone with both a visual and hearing loss Bob has managed to cope with these disabilities and champions the rights of disabled people. He is especially concerned with issues of safe mobility - clean affordable public transport in both urban and rural areas. Also for the provision or adaptation of appropriate housing that is properly insulated and heated to the highest environmental standards. He is keen on music especially folk, jazz, blues, country and western. He takes a keen interest in both local and national politics and is knowledgeable about the history of social and radical movements both in the UK and worldwide.

Eleanor Jane Pomagalski (UKIP)
IN THEIR OWN WORDS:
Married 27 years, five children. Living in Swindon past 24 years. Christian home-schooling mum. Passionate about people and their quality of life. UKIP put country before party. Our freedoms are being eroded, let us choose how we spend our limited funds. In cost-cutting times there is still so much waste.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
I don't think Drone missed it, I think the adver ran an apology later saying they had misssed it off. They gave him his own spot if I recall.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline bobwright

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 07:15:02 AM »
Still around 'I Could Do That'. Busy in the Ward and elsewhere.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26:20 AM »
I note that Karsten's against Nuclear power plants.

Is one planned at Coate?  :-\
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
That's the spirit.
Might see you soon, if nothing happens regarding my neighbour (reported) flytipping  :)
Proud to be gone

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
I note that Karsten's against Nuclear power plants.

Is one planned at Coate?  :-\

Hope not.. SBC are thinking of a Gassification plant I have heard.  Which I am also against.
That will probably be proposed to be built near the tip not on Coate.

but Hinkley B will be replaced by Hinkley C and OldBury is set to become a huge depot for spent fuel.
It might have gone unnoticed that Fukushima has released 1/10th of all the raditation released from Chernobyl in just a few months. 
Chernobyl is 25 yrs this year and Swindon still have kids from Belarus coming to stay with host families just so they can have a break from the constant threat of radiation.
Do you eat Tuna?  Who catches most of it, where has most of the Fukushima radiation gone?
Did you know they have found small quantiies of Iodine from Fukushima in Oxford?
It wasn't supposed to be possible.
Do you remember GreenPeace climbing up on Dunreay unhindred and protesting?
Bin Laden is Dead.   Somewhere in Europe there is supposed to be hidden a russian afgan nuke.
(WikiLeaks)
What if it was set off near a nuclear power station or there was a terrorist action against a Plant?
Do you think the UK and BNFL are better prepared than the Japanese?
The UK is ringed in by nuclear power plants.. you'll be hard pressed to get 50 miles away from one.
Oldbury is 48miles by road but less than 40 as the crow flies and upwind of Swindon most of the time.

Nuclear Power is unsafe! Fukushima and Chernobyl, should be enough warning

Offline Karsten

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »
It seems Gary Porter is the LibDem candidate in Central and “the only serious candidate that lives in Central Ward”..
NOT!
Gary lives in Rushy Platt where there is no residents parking.
I live in Central ward too, but in Controlled Parking Zone K.  :bash: :censored: :argh:

and the LibDem claim to have gotten expiry dates off vistor parking permits...
NOT.   
The expiry dates were taken off as sales fell, but no one has had a letter about it or telling them to keep their expired tickets.

Of course I have more in common with Roly than other candidates as I think SBC is full of ....
so perhaps I'm not as serious as the other candidates.
I could use the job though as I’m unemployed, the other candidates aren’t.
If people voted for me I would give them their money's worth for the £7k expenses councillors make!

Yours truly,
Karsten Evans, Independent candidate Central Ward.

My main issue is Residents Parking.
I want residents parking put back to what it was prior to 2003 when it was a ‘Resident Parking Scheme’ and not a cash cow for SBC.
That is what I stood for last year and in previous years.

I also think SBC act like a load of  ‘bollocks’ talking nonsense, so if you want to protest at ‘bollocktics’, SBC and the standing councillor, go against the flow vote Independent just for once.

It 's not like you can change anything by voting or is it?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 12:04:50 AM »
Karsten I thought Rushey Platt was part of the Central Ward.

You posts are interesting but what relevance do they have to the people of the ward please?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Karsten

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 12:47:03 AM »
Karsten I thought Rushey Platt was part of the Central Ward.

You posts are interesting but what relevance do they have to the people of the ward please?

His election leaflet claims he is the only candidate living in the ward.
I've lived in Central since 95 and I am the only candidate that lives in a resident parking zone..   
the Lib Dems claim success at removing the expiry date on guest parking tickets.
Both claim are incorrect.  They also claim they are the only ones that can deliver change.

As I'm standing as a candidate in Central Ward where I live, I thought the relevance was obvious.
I've been protesting about SBC using parking as a cash cow since 2006.
I personally have not heard much from the LibDems about residents parking before.

Drone

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 03:31:42 PM »
Central

Derique Montaut  Labour 1829 Majority = 1358  (+929 since 2007)
Paul Gregory  Conservative 471 00.0%
Gary porter  Liberal Democrat 213 00.0%
Robert Heritage  Green Party 155 00.0%
Eleanor Pomagalski  UKIP 95 00.0%
Karsten Evans  Independant  55 00.0%

Bad luck, Karsten!

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
It's essentially pointless anyone standing against Labour in Central Ward.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
Looks like Parking was not quite the issue Karsten thought it was judging by the result?

Never mind better luck next time
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »
Looks like Parking was not quite the issue Karsten thought it was judging by the result?

That's a bit patronising. Nobody stands much chance against Labour in Central Ward in any case.

However, to apply your logic further, it could be argued that WiFi, The Radio 1 Big Weekend, Tory cuts, dodgy loans, pissoirs,  Tabernacle Stones and all manner of supposed personal failings and flaws are also issues that, while important to some, seem to have been largely ignored by the wider electorate.

I'm still quite stunned at the Tory results both nationally and locally. To have actually increased their total number of council seats, nationally, is really quite astonishing given the state Labour left the country's economy in and the timing of these local elections.

Offline Karsten

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 07:32:03 PM »
2800+ turnout as opposed to 4500+ in 2010.

Seems like its back to 2 party system , each as bad as the other and Voter apathy.

What needs to be done is get people more involved.  Leafleting is so old fashioned and only works when next to none turn out, so a few 100 votes can change things.

Like when Mr Dickinson got in with 18 votes more than Labour and only 750+ votes.
That was in 2003.

The internet and email notification can do this but SBC's election dept. needs to do it.

I might look into a data protection complaint and claim that SBC have no right handing out my Electoral role information.
Perhaps its better to break things that work badly, so you can get something that works properly.

PS  Adam Kula (Pradvatiser) asked me why I stood and kept paying..
It cost nothing..
no leafleting no printing
I just stand as its sort of become a hobby, and I believe elections with 20% turnout are NOT democratic.
Its odd that the political parties use an AV system to choose their own leaders but they are so scared of proper demo'crazy  :wink:
Probably would have got 100+ if I'd done some canvassing but as one man band couldn't do any.
You need the money resources of Labour/Cons. to do proper canvasing that makes a difference.

the results do show that although TS is very up on the tricks of SBC Joe bloggs is ignorant of them.

TS should do more to raise its online profile.
Some SEO optimisation would probably help.

Going to see if WatchDog know about the dodgy awards for SBC/DC and the Wi-Fiasko.
They might be interested.

Offline Karsten

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »

Actually Labour have had Residents Parking as an 'promise' on their leaflets for quite a few years.
There are 3 lab. Central Ward counsellors and they have a few meeting attracting a few residents and talk a lot but there is never any action.

It's just that people don't protest until they are pissed off.
4500 votes down to <2000 shows 2500 pissed off voters didn't turnout this year.
THere was something better on TV or they were on Facebook.

TS needs a Facebook SEO optimised page..

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 08:05:52 PM »
Seems like its back to 2 party system , each as bad as the other and Voter apathy.

What needs to be done is get people more involved.  Leafleting is so old fashioned and only works when next to none turn out, so a few 100 votes can change things.

See, I'd actually disagree with that.
social networking/media means that getting the message across should be cheaper than ever, especially if you know who you are targetting.
also, I am more aware now of the smaller parties, and their policies, than ever before. greens, ukip and even bnp are getting mainstream press airtime, although sometimes perhaps not for the best reasons.

the libdems have had as good as a public visibility as any party after the last election - okay maybe they lack the goverment nouse of the tories and have suffered as a consequence - but you can't deny nick clegg and vince clarke could have any interview with any journalist they wished...

is it spin doctoring consultants from the big 2 parties... no, I don't think so, spin doctors have been majorly discredited over the last two years.

perhaps. scarily, it is the understanding and communication of the 2 parties that has meant they still command the interest of the public at large.

or, perhaps just the diehards - I'm not sure.

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Hello !
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »
also, swindon.org.uk, that's not the way to attract and educate your time constrained floating voter.

why not the classic " 3 messages, each less than 6 words" practice that you learn on a powerpoint course?

distill your pledges down to highly attractive, graphic soundbytes and capture the interest of teenagers and pensioners? just a thought.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 08:45:28 PM »
Karsten i would say no to a facebook page as facebook would only let you register with a real profile and anyone who follows that page would create speculation as to who people were on the site, which i think would be more unhelpful than helpful.

But thats Just me and my paranoia.  :-\
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
I believe elections with 20% turnout are NOT democratic.

Zimbabwe had a turnout of over 99% and some would say that wasn't too democratic either.

I understand the point you make but democracy manifest itself in many different ways and one is the right of people NOT to participate, in this case NOT to vote.  It's a little condescending to suggest that the 80% who chose not to vote were not exercising their democratic right - or am i wrong?

To force them to vote is hardly the hall mark of democracy

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 09:38:39 PM »

Karsten, I'm all ears as to why you think TS isn't well indexed?

Always open to suggestions although, and this is just my personal opinion, I've never been bothered about promoting TS via Facebook except as an interest gauge for certain topics.