Author Topic: Abbey Meads  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Abbey Meads
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
Abbey Meads
2011 Local Election Candidates

Peter StoddartConservative
Mark VinerLabour
Aneta GolebiewskaLiberal Democrat
Gary BelbenUKIP
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:09:56 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Drone

Re: Abbey Meads
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:27:08 AM »
From the Adver:

Peter Stoddart (Conservative) IN THEIR OWN WORDS: In Abbey Meads it is only the Conservatives who work all year round, where we regularly deliver newsletters and resident surveys, knock on doors, organise public meetings and lead on the key local issues.

My experience is essential in fighting inappropriate development, which is crucial with the proposed Tadpole Farm development. I am never afraid to fall out with developers, and will take a hard-line to oppose inappropriate and poor quality development. We have supported expanding every single school possible in the Northern Sector, organised annual schools admission public forums and are pressing for additional land for Isambard to expand.

Challenging: Gary Belben (UKIP) IN THEIR OWN WORDS: I live in Abbey Meads and really care about where we live. I seek to improve the ward for all, resolving problems and making sure that our council works for us. The years of Labour and the Coalition have seen us paying more, but getting less for our money. The burden of red-tape from unelected EU bureaucrats accounts for 50 per cent of the local government regulations in Swindon and is rising every day, along with excessive immigration that puts further strain on our local services. Lend me and UKIP your vote and you will get someone that will work for you.

Aneta Golebiewska (Lib Dem): IN THEIR OWN WORDS: As a very open and friendly person I have ability to talk to people and I think all together we can certainly make some changes from protecting the poorest and small local businesses to protect our environment to make our lives better and easier.

In Abbey Meads I see our priorities as being parking and community facilities. Some areas of Abbey Meads have severe problems with parking and many streets have problems to the extent that buses cannot safely access roads and buggies cannot get down the pavements. The council made a mistake in not pushing for more off-road parking in much of the northern development. Many people have told us that the lack of community facilities means that we have not developed the community spirit of other areas, I would tackle this.

Mark Viner (Labour): IN THEIR OWN WORDS: We need a new vision of regeneration in our town centre, which takes into account some of Swindon’s history that can attract to new business to our town. As someone who is looking start a family, I worry about what schools my kids are going to go to in the future, and I can’t accept what this Tory-led coalition is going to do to Sure Start, services which has helped so many.

Living in the ward of Abbey Meads, all I have seen are broken promises from the developers and local politicians. Any future development must have stricter scrutiny to make sure that any potential negative effects on the local infrastructure, particularly the roads and schools, are addressed before work begins rather than dealing with it after they have finished. Telling the developers what we want done, rather than them telling us what they are prepared to do in our ward
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Drone

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:28:35 AM »
So main campaign issues:

Conservatives - local development; Lib Dems, local parking; Labour, local infrastructure.

UKIP - EU Bureaucracy and immigration.  They do know they are standing in local elections, right?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
UKIP - EU Bureaucracy and immigration.  They do know they are standing in local elections, right?

So Drone have you or anyone else for that matter actually seen any of them on the campaign trail?

I certainly have seen no evidence of Bob FM here in Shaw and yet he promised me a Vibrant Campaign, making him seem like our Council Leadership whom he seeks to displace.

Not looking good for UKIP.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Drone

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
None yet, unless you count the comment pages of the Adver website. This obsession with EU bureaucracy makes them look like a single issue party. I always thought they were, but have tried to keep an open mind. They've made no effort to discuss local issues with local voters and be willing to pound the pavements and knock on doors. Why is that? Unwillingness to discuss politics with other people? Tendency to fight evr election in exactly the same way? Disinterest in local issues?
derp derp herp herp derp