Author Topic: Shaw & Nine Elms  (Read 55025 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Shaw & Nine Elms
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:31:22 AM »
Shaw & Nine Elms
2011 Local Election Candidates

Gary PerkinsConservative
Mike HealLabour
James FarrLiberal Democrat
Bob Feal-Martinez UKIP
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:57:36 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

robert feal-martinez

Re: Shaw & Nine Elms
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
I am pleased to inform the residents of Shaw and Nine Elms that I am now officially the candidate for my party in the ward. I have spent time just wandering around the ward and talking to people and it seems to be that there is a recurring theme of rubbish and graffiti which Swindon Council appear to ignore, this is clearly a source of great frustration and one could say anger amongst residents.

This is made all the more so by having as a ward Councillor the Deputy Leader of the ruling group. I have heard he rarely answers emails or replies to other forms of communication and has only ever visited the ward during election periods. He also claimed when he was first elected that he would relocate to the ward. This he has failed to do.

I will make no such claim, as I am required due to the nature of my business to live at the Carpenters Arms. What I will promise to do however is hold regular surgeries across the ward, and report the concerns of the residents to the Council.This is the basic minimum performance residents have a right to expect from their Councillors which clearly is not being delivered in Shaw and Nine Elms.

I am sure the voters are aware of Councillor Perkin's involvement with what is now known as the Wifi Mesh Soap Opera, as a Director of Digital City. This waste of valuable tax payers money, is simply just one example of the 'criminal' waste by this Council, and no sitting party can escape blame.

I am told by the political 'elite' that one should not seek to engage in collective blame, well I am one of those simple individuals who believe that a ruling Council cannot continue to waste tax payers money, mislead the voter, or be self serving without the acquiesce of all those present when decisions are taken. If a Councillor really does believe issues of malfeasance or criminality have occurred then not only do they have a legal obligation to take action but they have a moral obligation.

As Chairman of UKIP Swindon I can promise you that if any of my local group becomes a Councillor they will follow the basic 'Tenent' of honesty, integrity and openness, a principle enshrined in the core believe of the United Kingdom Independence Party.

I welcome comments or questions from the residents of S&NE, and I will do my best to provide an honest answer. I am seeking to arrange a series of local hustings in order that you can best judge who to vote for.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »
As a resident of Shaw and Nine Elms I welcome your candidature as there is nothing like having a choice and your comments about engaging with us are most welcome.

Is this the opening statement of your leaftlet as it is pretty powerful stuff and nothing like the bland, I am hardly ever in your ward and don't answer emails, Conservative Councillor and Deputy Leader of the Council first leaflet?

I understand how Scottish Crofters feel when they have absentee landlords.

I am surprised at the levels of detritus and other maintenance in this once nice area as Councillor Keith Williams is the Lead Member for Streetsmart and represents and lives in this ward.  Keith Williams' tenure as a Councillor was given a boost by the Shaw Residents Association who co incidentally have just re launched their new website, or so I am told as I cannot find it!! 

Robert I would advise you to make contact with the Shaw Residents Association as I believe you may well be able to help them in their quest to improve our unsatisfactory environment which you have already found for yourself.  I understand there is a litter pick on Saturday April 9th at the Shaw Village Centre at 10.30am bags and litter pickers provided,  Will UKIP be there in force?

I look forward to hustings and meetings as I have witnessed for myself the spital flecked rantings of your oponent in the Council Chamber, something that caused me considerable disappointment.  I wonder how other people in the ward would react if they had experienced it for themselves?

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
have just re launched their new website, or so I am told as I cannot find it!! 

www.shawresidents.org.uk
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
As a resident of Shaw and Nine Elms I welcome your candidature as there is nothing like having a choice and your comments about engaging with us are most welcome.

Is this the opening statement of your leaftlet as it is pretty powerful stuff and nothing like the bland, I am hardly ever in your ward and don't answer emails, Conservative Councillor and Deputy Leader of the Council first leaflet?

I understand how Scottish Crofters feel when they have absentee landlords.

I am surprised at the levels of detritus and other maintenance in this once nice area as Councillor Keith Williams is the Lead Member for Streetsmart and represents and lives in this ward.  Keith Williams' tenure as a Councillor was given a boost by the Shaw Residents Association who co incidentally have just re launched their new website, or so I am told as I cannot find it!! 

Robert I would advise you to make contact with the Shaw Residents Association as I believe you may well be able to help them in their quest to improve our unsatisfactory environment which you have already found for yourself.  I understand there is a litter pick on Saturday April 9th at the Shaw Village Centre at 10.30am bags and litter pickers provided,  Will UKIP be there in force?

I look forward to hustings and meetings as I have witnessed for myself the spital flecked rantings of your oponent in the Council Chamber, something that caused me considerable disappointment.  I wonder how other people in the ward would react if they had experienced it for themselves?

Hi Richard,

I will see what I can do to muster support for the 9th, I will of course have to check with the organisers and the legality of UKIP taking part, as I am sure my opponents would complain if it was not 'legal'

Offline Ringer

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Hi Richard,

I will see what I can do to muster support for the 9th, I will of course have to check with the organisers and the legality of UKIP taking part, as I am sure my opponents would complain if it was not 'legal'

How can they stop anyone form picking litter in a public place I am sure the police can confirm that is not a legality if the organisers do not? Personally I would have thought anyone could turn up and pick up litter in a public place it is a public spirited thing to do is it not. I would not  be surprised if the MP and other councillors are not there: http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=475.0
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »
Hi Richard,

How can they stop anyone form picking litter in a public place I am sure the police can confirm that is not a legality if the organisers do not? Personally I would have thought anyone could turn up and pick up litter in a public place it is a public spirited thing to do is it not. I would not  be surprised if the MP and other councillors are not there: http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=475.0

Believe me there are an abundance of rules, anyone of which could get a candidate disqualified. Opponents normally wait until after a result is declared. If the result is to their liking then nothing happens, if not they complain.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
As Chairman of UKIP Swindon I can promise you that if any of my local group becomes a Councillor they will follow the basic 'Tenent' of honesty, integrity and openness, a principle enshrined in the core believe of the United Kingdom Independence Party.

I have 2 questions......

Are you scared of the words you put in 'quotes'?

When you say 'tenent' do you mean tenet? or indeed ' tenet'?

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
No I am not afraid of words, and I asked for the word to be be corrected, as I didn't spot the mistake. Someone graciously PM'd me, rather than post to make issue of my mistake.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Hi Richard,

Believe me there are an abundance of rules, anyone of which could get a candidate disqualified. Opponents normally wait until after a result is declared. If the result is to their liking then nothing happens, if not they complain.

Oh, you must pop along to the litter-pick Bob, Shaw Residents Association promise that:

> Saturday 9th April: Meet at the Shaw village Centre at 10:30. Bags and litter pickers provided. All welcome!!!

Ringer rightly suggests that it's almost certain that Garry Perkins will make one of his four yearly incursions into the ward for the litter-picking photo opportunity.  I'd then expect a leaflet to be out in Shaw & Nine Elms within 10 days showing what 'sterling work Garry is doing on the residents behalf'.

I'd turn up on the day and, whether Garry Perkins, Bob Buckland & Keith Williams are there or not,  I'd pick litter anyway because it's another good opportunity to get to know some of the residents you wish to represent. 

You don't have to publicise what you do, but if your opponents do, there's no reason why you should not also do so.  If members of the public decide to publish photographs of you clutching tongs and a black binbag that's up to them - I don't think you could be accused of blatant electioneering.

A cogent 2007 example of which* can be found here: Councillor Caught Cleaning Up In Shaw Village Centre 

Offline MikeHeal

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

Administrator Comment

Starting here - Posts #10 to #28 in this thread have been split from UKIP Confirmed Candidates for 2011 Local Elections and merged into this one - Shaw & Nine Elms

Dougal

As we need balance here I would like to inform you all that I am putting myself forward in the forth coming local elections to stand for the Labour Party.  As a resident of Shaw and Nine Elms for the past ten years I want to be able to give the residents of Shaw and Nine Elms the opportunity to have a strong voice on Swindon Borough Council.
I feel it is important that a councillor should be a resident of the area in which she or he stands for, or as in my case sits!
For too long the conservative party has seen Shaw and Nine Elms as a “save Seat a soft touch”. Parachuting a candidate into the seat, regardless of his homes geographical location.
It is also wrong in my view to have Councillor Nick Martin, a long time resident of Shaw and Nine Elms using his familiarity within the ward to secure voters, while the candidate is nowhere to be seen.
As for UKIP, the odd surgery, taking on board residents views simply is not enough. For too long this ward has been let down by the Conservative councillors who have used the voters as a tool to a seat on the council with no or very little return it is time for someone who as a resident and a parent of children who over the past 14 years have attended both Shaw farm and Greendown playgroups as well as Shaw Ridge primary School. Been a school governor and still has an active involvement with both Shaw Ridge Primary School and Greendown Playgroup, but more importantly loves living in Shaw is willing to offer a clear and loud voice for our residents of all ages, and be willing to stand up (or sit down) and debate the needs and concerns
We are not calling for independence here(UKIP), just the right to be treated equally with the rest of the borough.
The cuts being made to our New Sure Start Programme, the wasted money given to Digital City Ltd for a none existing Swindon wide WI FI, the complete closure of the councils homecare department with the job losses and the massive effect this will have on those who have come to rely on these fantastic men and women who do their jobs with fantastic care and consideration.
Plus the many other ridiculous cuts and spends that follow a council that has over the past term thrown away money on projects that have done nothing for the welfare and well being of the people of Swindon.
I am sure that in the next few weeks we are going to hear a lot about the success of the present council and I have no doubt that they will seek to aline themselves with the launch of the New space Programme launched in Swindon on the 28th March 2011.
What we should be doing is asking the serious questions about how £450,000 of council tax payer’s money was given to a company with little or no experience in setting up or running a borough Wide WI FI network?
Why that same company was and still has offices and fittings provided by the council in the Town centre?
And
How the Deputy Leader of the Council, the sitting councillor for Shaw and Nine Elms is a member of the board of this company?
How the council can through its internal structure charge one of its own departments 3 times as much as a private sector provider and by that accounting axe the department and make redundant all of the employees?
How despite the trumpeting of the success and launch of a new Sure Start centre the council can justify a 30% reduction in overall budget to Sure Start over the next 5 years?
UKIP, might be a party for a national election where their rhetoric over Europe and the effects of the laws and rules passed in Brussels stunt our ability to as they say trade with the rest of the World. But, here and now at this time and in this election a UKIP vote is not only a wasted vote but a way of ensuring the return of a none residential conservative councillor in Shaw and Nine Elms.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:33:48 PM by Dougal »

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:29:16 PM »
Mike, you have given only one reason why people should vote for you -that you live in the area, and then contradict yourself by saying that was not a good thing for the ward when they voted for Cllr Martin.

The rest was reasons why the ward should not vote for other parties.

Be a good Labour person and tell them why they SHOULD vote for YOU.
What are you going to do for them that will be better..............
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 03:28:43 PM »
Out of interest, does being a Councillor, which appears to attract a salary/payment, constitute employment?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
And you've just dis-credited any potential UKIP voter by saying its a wasted vote, which is a bit silly, cos now any UKIP voters in Shaw and Nine Elms will ignore your leaflet and adopt the 'F-You' mentality.

Good luck though.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
Welcome to my thread Mr Heal :angel: :angel: :angel: One always takes solace from ones political opponents who introduce themselves to a thread by attacking the author. I note you believe as most in the 3 party system do that the UKIP with close on a million votes in the last election, with 22.97% of the vote in the 2009 Euro elections well ahead of Labour, the Greens, Libdems, in Swindon have no right to stand in a local elections.

I on the other hand believe in representative democracy, where every voter has a right to have their vote count. Were this the case as in Scotland UKIP would be sharing power with the Tories, and Swindon would look totally different. I also note you appear to have been nominated to the seat back in January, so I guess S&NE should already know you were Labours selection, and joined the site in February, a glance at your other posts leads one to conclude that you a a believer in the State as a crutch rather than a walking aid.

Is it not that very dogma that got the country in the mess we are now. Would you accept that it is right if someone has no intention of working that they should receive no benefits, or do 'community' work in exchange for the benefits.

One last thing for clarity please state for the record if you have a disability, as you imply it twice, I only ask because if and when I get a venue for a hustings I would hate to feel that you would be prevented from debating with this no hoper candidate if the venue was unsuitable.

You do realise Mr Heal that you have only 51/2 days to complete the nomination process or is that done for you by the party machine.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
And you've just dis-credited any potential UKIP voter by saying its a wasted vote

Yup, that's what Justin told me so that's something you have in common.

Have you any idea just how conceited that sounds and indicative of why politics and too many of it's exponents are no longer fit for purpose?

Positioning yourself as a fresh alternative to the existing authority is commendable, gawd knows it needs putting out of our misery, but to support that with what sounds suspiciously like corporate party speak echoed by your supposed opposition illustrates perfectly for me why I find it impossible to vote for any of the big three.

It is not your right to dictate or opine on what is, or is not, a wasted vote. The only wasted vote is the one is that not cast.

Get a grip please. 3 out of 10, see me after class.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »
and a nice picture of Streetsmart Lead member Councillor Keith Williams in his Sunday best probably on his way from or to the Church.  Was it Councillor Keith who scuppered your idea Bob?

As for litter picking, now if you were just to turn up you would

1. Know what the Conservatives were doing and

2. Who was there and what Photo Opportunities were purloined and

3.  most important of all your presence would embarrass them wouldn't it?

Directing operations from South Marston is not an option you need to get your message across on the doorsteps.

You know it makes sense, go on go for it Bob!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »
Admins shouldn't this thread be joined with the Shaw & Nine Elms one?

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »
I'm still trying to work out whether picking up litter is seen as a good thing or a nasty thing, or does it simply depend on who's doing the picking?  :-\
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:38 PM »
Mart, did you just compare me to Tomlinson?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."