Author Topic: Jobs, a section for talkswindon  (Read 15286 times)

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
Re: Jobs, a section for talkswindon
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »
Surely your first port of call would be the College?
Yes have done that and they were quite negative. I do have a list of courses which require certain education standards and in my estimation do not support an apprenticeship study as far as diplomas etc. My personal view being there are many youths out there who may not have a great education but do have good skills. Sometimes where practical skills involve mathematical skills as well this has been overcome through electronics which removes complex calculations. I have always found people if they use machinery they soon learn how to set or adjust them and learn to use measuring equipment. The general thought being learn the theory then the practice. I believe in a teaching method where a trainee is explained the basics and when a mistake is made they are shown why that mistake. In other words put them on basic jobs where a cock up would not cost a fortune. People are quick to remember their mistakes. Something like a driver who goes out on icy roads for the first time and hits their brakes; usually remembers not to do that again. I do not need extra staff right now but as the profits are ok I would rather take on some apprentices which would be paid for
out of the tax savings. I would like to see other companies introduce apprenticeships again and not as cheap labour schemes govts favour.
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
What type of work does your business do Mikbrains ?
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »
What type of work does your business do Mikbrains ?

Small to medium components for furniture suppliers in metal,plastic and wood. Sounds dull but wide variety.
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 12:50:51 PM »
Well, I'm looking for work:

I'm a 40 year old chap with ten years experience in PR and marketing communications for a large telecoms company.

I've also worked as a journalist, writing news stories for an aviation/aerospace documentary production company (for whom I also read the news for a cable TV channel broadcasting in the US!). Other work experience has included working as a staff manager for a market research agency, freelance PR, freelance work for the BBC and charity fund-raising.

I'm currently an active youth mentor for a local charity, where I'm also a trustee - and am attending Bath college where I'm studying two days a week for a qualification in stone masonry.

I'm looking for any work! Ideally, I'd like a professional full time position, but in the meantime, being a practical chap, I'm up for any part-time work, from PR consultancy to gardening, DIY or site labouring! Anything to avoid cabin fever and to keep the financial wolf from the door.

A CV is available on request - send me a Private Message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There we go - what about having a section on TS for local people to advertise their availability for work? That gets around spammers - but potentially provides an extra canvas for people looking for work to display their skills.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Brandon

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Local employment and vacancies are sorely sought after. It is a shame that not more community projects advertise for people to donate their time. I am currently out of work and I utilize my day and time effectivly to the best of my ability.

There should be further employment and training opportunities - but unfortunately there aren't.

It seems the best jobs are already taken.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »
"It is a shame that not more community projects advertise for people to donate their time"

We do Brandon, often, however most community projects are calling out for people who live in the same area - neighbourhood - that is.  Voluntary Action Swindon and Swindon Volunteers is a good place to start, but pop into your local community centre  and if it's run by a local comkmittee, no doubt they would be able to find something for you to do, then there is the Ranger Volunteers, and many outdoor projects  in Swindon.  Most charities in swindon are looking for treasurers, with accountancy skills but most don't need any skills. The opportunties are endless and there is a real shortage of volunteers.

Or you could just do the David Cameron thing , get a black bag, a pair of litter pickers and clear up your own area.  It's a good idea to get an Hepetitas 'B' jab too and keep yor tetanus jobs up to date. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Brandon

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
Thank you Muggins for your wisdom and experience in these areas. You have advised me and I have done plenty of volunteering in my time, although there is an area of sociable hardship where some people suffer from disabilities and mobility difficulties. What advice would you offer those sorts of people in society if they were looking for job oportunities and to further their skills?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »
One would hope by now that, after all the  legislation brought in and hard work done by the disability groups in Swindon in campaigning, that that problem would be less than it used to be. 

I would still direct you to those places in my previous posting - I take it that the job centre would also direct those less able to the places that would support them most in their quest.

I would expect after the edict earlier in this governments term about getting the disabled back to work, that somewhere they have pumped some money into making that happen. 

Although I have not heard so.  And we all know it's eaier said than done. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bassettina

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
Thank you Muggins for your wisdom and experience in these areas. You have advised me and I have done plenty of volunteering in my time, although there is an area of sociable hardship where some people suffer from disabilities and mobility difficulties. What advice would you offer those sorts of people in society if they were looking for job oportunities and to further their skills?

The Volunteer Centre should be able to offer advice and most good voluntary groups/organisations using volunteers should be welcoming and supportive. Pop into see the centre - the people there are very friendly and helpful.

Any particular roles or sectors you are interested in helping?

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
It seems the best jobs are already taken.

Hi Brandon, being made redundant at the start of the year made me realise a few things....

1. There's not many well paid job opportunities to be had.
2. What jobs there are are mostly part time
3. If your under 24 your pretty much forgotten about

Best of luck with the job hunting.

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
What is real lunacy is the idea of forcing older people to work longer at the very time when youth unemployment is rising to such a high level.

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »
I think there is a need for a jobs section where companies could post vacancies.
But that they shouldn't be posts that can be replied too.

Maybe they could send posts to admins or there could be a read only topic.
Maybe there could be a similar topic for links to online CVs?

There should be a jobs discussion topic tho..  so people out of work could discuss methods of finding work..
Remember that girl who stood in the Magic Roundabout..

I'm sure people with similar skills could help each other..

How about a weekly or monthly job club meeting at a pub or coffee shop?
So people could talk about their problems and perhaps help others with CV's letter etc..

There are plenty of pubs, restaurants offering meal offers..
Anyone want to meet up and talk about jobs?

Offline kenskorner

• Hello !
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:51 PM »
 :-\ well, there's no hope for moi then? over the hill, and far away. It's a good idea for anyone to start a job slot some where, but as per usual, there will always be some one or some thing go wrong. BUT it's still a good idea..........and anything to get work is great in my eye's. I like the idea.

# Anyone got work for an apprentice served gas lamp lighter?~ just jest but it would be worth a try and possibly cheaper than these 'job agencies' who get paid at the cost of the workers pocket.

Offline tinpot10

• Hello !
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 01:55:36 AM »
As you know I have been looking at various jobs for a while, and to my surprise have found myself in the fortunate position of being offered a couple. Only being able to do one at a time, I know of at least one job that is going for grabs and have been asked to get it out on my 'network' to see if anyone is interested. I am not sure whether this is appropriate or not on this forum.

I just wondered if it was worth a jobs thread. If you hear of any jobs put them on the thread. a quick description and a contact, then who ever is looking for a job can take it from there.

Is this a good idea?

Administrator Comment It's not easy to find a good job now. I think the best way in this case is using search online so that you can find many businesses which are suitable with you.
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.azluxurylawns.com]fake lawn[/url LINK DISABLED

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:11:02 AM by Gooch »

Offline hugdin71

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 03:13:44 AM »
Great! This web site is a professional and has a creative and useful design. Absolute professionals! Keep with good projects and good work!
Administrator Comment
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.bean-bags-r-us.com.au/]Bean bag[/url]
[url=http://www.bean-bags-r-us.com.au/]Beanbag[/url]
Link disabled
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:21:20 AM by Pig Hill Resident »

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »

Wanted !

A job for a 17year old male .
Previous experience - door to door marketing for Safe Style Windows !

Reason for leaving ...... He was out all hours earning only £35  a week some weeks.

Seriously, does anyone know of any jobs going where an apprentice is required.
It's regarding my Son , he is good with practical work .

PM me if you have/ you know of any vacancies anywhere.

thanks 

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 04:24:11 PM »
Does anyone know of any good website designers - preferably ones with a bit of SQL knowledge (or even where to go looking for one!) ??

Many thanks TSers!  :wink:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
Count me out.

Is SQL text speak for squirrel?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
Jobs, a section for talkswindon
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
Count me out.

Is SQL text speak for squirrel?

Only if they know that it is structured query language for databases :-)

Maybe they send one another encrypted messages as to where their squirrel neighbours store their nuts !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 06:14:44 PM »
I do enjoy a nice bit of SQL.

I don't really have the eye for design which is required for building a good looking web site though (and believe me, I've tried) so I'm probably not the person you're looking for.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)