Author Topic: Jobs, a section for talkswindon  (Read 15296 times)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
Jobs, a section for talkswindon
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:22:21 PM »
As you know I have been looking at various jobs for a while, and to my surprise have found myself in the fortunate position of being offered a couple. Only being able to do one at a time, I know of at least one job that is going for grabs and have been asked to get it out on my 'network' to see if anyone is interested. I am not sure whether this is appropriate or not on this forum.

I just wondered if it was worth a jobs thread. If you hear of any jobs put them on the thread. a quick description and a contact, then who ever is looking for a job can take it from there.

Is this a good idea?

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Jobs, a section for talkswindon
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
Anything that secures employment for someone seeking it has to be  a good thing O0
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
As you know I have been looking at various jobs for a while, and to my surprise have found myself in the fortunate position of being offered a couple. Only being able to do one at a time, I know of at least one job that is going for grabs and have been asked to get it out on my 'network' to see if anyone is interested. I am not sure whether this is appropriate or not on this forum.

I just wondered if it was worth a jobs thread. If you hear of any jobs put them on the thread. a quick description and a contact, then who ever is looking for a job can take it from there.

Is this a good idea?

That is a fantastic idea if you ask me  O0
Well done Rich !

What do you recon Geoff ?
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »
I know this sounds silly but, I wouldn't recommend it for Talkswindon,. But that's just my view, good idea but I'd object
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »
I know this sounds silly but, I wouldn't recommend it for Talkswindon,. But that's just my view, good idea but I'd object

Thats a good honest answer Mellon  :)
... and put nicely too  O0
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »
at one level I think it's a great idea.

However my concern would be that it might attract phishers and spammers to TS...  if the admins could think of a way to restrict it to keep undesirables away I'd be happy.

Moley

Offline Theteach

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:20:18 AM »

Is this a good idea?

I would have to say; any forum used for informing others of employment opportunities has to be a good idea.

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »
Administrator Comment Please discuss it a bit more - Spammers and phishers are not a large security risk to the forum itself, but the possibility of scammers joining TS to promote advanced-fee scams - like the one below - pyramid sellers and 'brilliant opportunities to work at home' does exist.

There is always the chance that a TS member or reader might not recognise a scammer before another member or admin has done/said something about a suspicious posting - please discuss the potenial benefits vs disbenefits

Provided members can produce a self-protection guide for members and readers to follow, including a brief 'how to' guide to using the forum Personal Message system, (PM's), and forum email system - the idea has potential.

Dear Dougal McDougal,

Our Company has new openings!

We found your resume on-line and we want to offer you a Payment Processing Agent position.

The requirements for an applicant:
       18+ y/o;
       Computer at home;
       24/5 internet access;
       Availability by phone during the day (starting 9 a.m. your local time)

Benefits:
1.      Competitive salary and commission;
2.      Free training
3.      Bonuses;
4.      Flexible schedule;
5.      Both part-time/full-time employment;
6.      Healthcare benefits;
7.      Home-based;

If you're interested in such an opportunity for high earnings, independence and full benefits, please reply to this message with your full name, country of residence and a phone number to reach you at, and our manager will e-mail you from our corporate e-mail address to discuss this employment opportunity in details.

NOTE: This Google Mail account is used to protect our corporate mail domains from receiving spam e-mails.
Thank you very much for your attention.

We wish you good luck in landing a perfect job soon!

Sincerely,

Nick Ronalds
Renaissance Inc.

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:23:27 AM »

I've installed a Jobs board to see what it might look like.

Currently it is 'reply only' so only admins may start threads within it.
www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of what Rich said, and like informal networks in job finding exist, my experience of jobs being available is still around word of mouth in some trades/professions. Someone I know works in the building trade and most of the work is via people talking in the pub/cafe who already work on sites/projects etc! Usually if the work is secured a couple of pints/breakfast soon follows the one giving the tip off.

I think Mellon made a good point. I do not want to wade through spam. Maybe set up a poll and TSer can vote on it?

Having a board on here may be a revenue opportunity for TS why advertise jobs etc for free? Others charge to advertise jobs? Just something I thought I would throw in for the discussion.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »

I think Mellon made a good point. I do not want to wade through spam. Maybe set up a poll and TSer can vote on it?

i didnt make a point, you are mistaken
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »

Is this a good idea?

A good idea in principle, subject to some caveats as others have mentioned.

This Google Mail account is used to protect our corporate mail domains from receiving spam e-mails.

:WTF: That's just technobabble. Although I'm not involved in recruitment, if I need to write to someone externally on work business, I do it from my work address. Indeed I'd like to think that they'd refuse to talk to me if I was writing from some gmail address. But I wonder how many people would be taken in by such a message.

One way of preventing TS members from falling victim to scams would be to pre-moderate job posts, or maybe posts from brand new members, but this would be a complete change to TS policy and I'm not sure the admin team would be too happy with the idea.

Having a board on here may be a revenue opportunity for TS why advertise jobs etc for free? Others charge to advertise jobs? Just something I thought I would throw in for the discussion.

I'd be against this idea. TS is free for members to say (within reason) whatever they like, partly because it's not funded by advertising or government or anyone other than Geoff (although I've offered to donate towards the hosting costs in the past). Accepting payment for anything could compromise this.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »

What Simon said....  :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 01:25:27 AM »

Not much interest in this then ?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
More like not many job opportunties to share! 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:59 AM »

Not much interest in this then ?

Unfortunately, by the time we had discussed it..... the potential job had been taken.

It is as well to note that there aren't that many jobs out there to be had..

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 12:37:22 AM »
Please discuss it a bit more - Spammers and phishers are not a large security risk to the forum itself, but the possibility of scammers joining TS to promote advanced-fee scams - like the one below - pyramid sellers and 'brilliant opportunities to work at home' does exist. 
<p></p>
There is always the chance that a TS member or reader might not recognise a scammer before another member or admin has done/said something about a suspicious posting - please discuss the potenial benefits vs disbenefits
<p></p>
Provided members can produce a self-protection guide for members and readers to follow, including a brief 'how to' guide to using the forum Personal Message system, (PM's), and forum email system - the idea has potential.

What I am looking for is to start a couple of apprentices. I dont need new staff as such, but as the business is doing ok
I thought as the Government said they hoped to bring them back it would be good to see what is involved now and what College back up is available. No I am not looking for cheap labour but the Job Centre staff were quite negative. I was hoping someone here can give me a few pointers.

Dear Dougal McDougal,

Our Company has new openings!

We found your resume on-line and we want to offer you a Payment Processing Agent position.

The requirements for an applicant:
       18+ y/o;
       Computer at home;
       24/5 internet access;
       Availability by phone during the day (starting 9 a.m. your local time)

Benefits:
1.      Competitive salary and commission;
2.      Free training
3.      Bonuses;
4.      Flexible schedule;
5.      Both part-time/full-time employment;
6.      Healthcare benefits;
7.      Home-based;

If you're interested in such an opportunity for high earnings, independence and full benefits, please reply to this message with your full name, country of residence and a phone number to reach you at, and our manager will e-mail you from our corporate e-mail address to discuss this employment opportunity in details.

NOTE: This Google Mail account is used to protect our corporate mail domains from receiving spam e-mails.
Thank you very much for your attention.

We wish you good luck in landing a perfect job soon!

Sincerely,

Nick Ronalds
Renaissance Inc.
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
Well, tell us what you've got in mind Mr Mik - lots of brains on the forum to give you pointers/suggestions.

What age range, skills, experience, wages etc (if any) are you looking to acquire?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:31:46 PM »
Well, tell us what you've got in mind Mr Mik - lots of brains on the forum to give you pointers/suggestions.

What age range, skills, experience, wages etc (if any) are you looking to acquire?
Thanks Tobes,
                     initially I need to know how to bring this about and make sure of my responsibilities and to ensure they get college back up. Apprenticeships died due to many factors; most were reduced in time and eventually replaced by short college courses or work placement schemes. I believe also new taxes played a part and employers could no longer afford dead wood. I am not looking for Govt handouts or cheap labour as my aim is to get some youngsters to get a worthwhile skill. All the guys I have are skilled in particular operations and we are a very small business with a good profit margin. It is hard to get replacement staff with the skills; fortunately since I started I had 2 other guys and took on 2 more to increase products. Each time it took months to get skilled workers. I feel I can provide 2 places to train apprentices who hopefully will end up with good certification. Wages would rise with skill levels and begin at a good rate. My concerns are merely if there are hidden costs I am not aware of. I have enquiries out, but nothing positive, mostly negative. I heard BMW were starting a scheme, no reply from them as to details. As you say there may well be others on here with good information.
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
Surely your first port of call would be the College?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)