Author Topic: Swindon Mecca - Another failed SBC sponsored project?  (Read 12064 times)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: Swindon Mecca - Another failed SBC sponsored project?
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »
The latest announcement for a show at the MECA is Tinchy Stryder plus Devlin on April 10th. Oddly, it's not listed on Devlin's own tour dates page.

The response on their Facebook page has been ominous.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline CultureVulture

• Looking for carrion in the Swindon desert
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »
The Vulture notes from high up on a thermal that many of the openly critical posts have been removed from the Meca Facebook page  ))))  It seems plenty of other people were concerned about the lack of progress.

A supposedly serious venue and still only a holding page for a website? Three months in? No wonder the type of act seems < cocks head to one side > somewhat < pauses to find the right polite phrase > culturally limited.

So, at least another six weeks to wait after more boxing to get, strangely, more of the music for the class of adolescent I believe you humans call chavs. I think this is the type of repetitive beat music which seems to have been designed to allow its human fans to enjoy (and share that enjoyment with a frequently unappreciative public audience) through the 1cm speaker of their mobile phone.  The amazing thing is, the quality of the music never seems to be diminished by the low fidelity of the play-back! Aren't you already getting plenty of public performance as a result? What about something a bit more imaginative?

Was the brief provided for the Meca to try and appeal to an array of audiences, or has the target demographic been fixed at Hoodie?

The Vulture appologises for sounding like a bit of a snob. But he is. This type of music is already pretty well catered for through the club scene in town, or for that matter, most bus shelters. What's the story behind the people who are supposedly running the venue and setting the agenda for what passes for entertainment within its portals? Tynchy Stryder seems to have been popped out of exactly the same urban muzik mould as the previous two backing-tracked DJs. Is this it then, face mashing and/or the music which face mashers like to enter the ring to? Who's stereotyping Swindon as the sort of place where only hoodies come out to listen to music?

< the Vulture contorts his beak into an estate mock gangsta sneer >

Iz it coz dey fink itz like, what we fink is well sick? What has 'append to deese boyz and girlz himaginations? Lots ov peeples wiv money to spend fink that Radio One is well $hit. Wot habout uz man? We ain't all from da PEEEEEs.

< squawk! >
Circling high above, the Culture Vulture alights upon any tasty cultural morsels which come to pass amongst Swindon's concrete canyons... Know of an e

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
I do apologise CV but its 'sic' not 'sick'...itz cos the peeps behin this whole club scene iz  trying to appeal to the younger culture innit?

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 05:07:28 PM »
Me an me Julie is goin to Trowbridge tonight, innit.
We is seein' a rock n roll band.
They is a bit bland and not too wicked. But they is still werf a listen, an' fro'ing some shapes to.
We would check out the band in me homey town, but there ain't one.
Innit?
 :banana:
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »
I wuz wrong man.
Like they wuz kickin' it.
I ain't saying that just cos' I as bin on the sauce.
They wuz wicked, innit?
Me homey town should stop tryin' so hard an' bein' rubbish.
Just stick a rock, blues, rock 'n' roll band on.
Don't worry about a mega crowd. A few 'undred of me peeps, throwin' shapes will fill du space, an' get it rockin' an' swayin'.
Then they posers'll come. Oh yey they'll come
Proud to be gone

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »
Yep, definitely 60.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
Yep, definitely 60.
Oh I'd expect a lot more than 60 would turn up.
Have a bit more faith.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:00:37 PM by I Could Do That »
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
Is it still open?
What's on next?
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »
Well I'm off, out of town, again, to see another live band.  :banana:
Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
ICD - do you like a bit of punk?! It seems that the Meca have upped a gear or two - whether the Buzzcocks are your cup of tea or not, there's no denying that they are spot on the type of band we need in the venue to get it recognised, as well as to show a bit of cultural depth! Well done to Mr Causer and crew!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8875246.Punk_legends_are_buzz_of_the_town/?ref=mr

I might be tempted to go along. Any other takers?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50:34 PM »

I might be tempted to go along. Any other takers?

As long as I'm not away with work I'll definitely try and go...  this is much more my cup of tea than what's been on there so far...  We might be showing our age though Tobes  :(

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:43 PM »
Tobes, " I might be tempted to go along. Any other takers?"
Yes, definitely.
Not quite my scene and I'd have to admit to only knowing one of their songs, but definitely worth having a go.
I'm glad they've finally upped the game. This is probably about the right pitch to get things going :clap:

I'll be seeing another band on the following evening as well. Busy busy
Proud to be gone