Author Topic: WiFi'asco Announcement Imminent - Or Is It?  (Read 32295 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: WiFi'asco Announcement Imminent - Or Is It?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
In these hard times you could do a lot with £400,000 - voluntary groups, grass cutting next year, etc..

What will go to prop up this disgraceful waste of money?

Bring in the barbeque, I hear pork is on the menu!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:01 PM »
Classic it's all gone to bollocks but I'm not admitting it speechifying.

“It is clear the progress made to date has not been what all involved at the outset had hoped for.

No shit Sherlock, that said you would presume that the recipient of £400k might be reasonably content.

“However, things don’t always go as you plan in business, particularly when you are dealing with something that is innovative.

An entirely innocent statement, striking just the right 'Aw shucks, you live and learn' air you might expect from a respected entrepeneur with a respectable track record who invested his own hard earned wedge. However, as it is uttered by a Councillor who has been instrumental in spunking the Council Tax of 300 odd households on something he demonstrably knows feck all useful about, (I make that statement based on results), it is a tad regrettable.

“Rather than dwell on the past, I am determined to proactively seek out new opportunities to reshape this initiative so it can realise its potential and deliver something positive for the people of Swindon.”

I absolutely understand this urge to move on, it's a common characteristic of those who have been instrumental in delivering a crock of shit. As far as proactively, reshaping and realising potential goes, I think we could paraphrase and simply call it a regeneration project and we know how awfully good SBC is at that. I think that the most positive thing that could be delivered is the resignation of, ooh, about 4 councillors.

Given that this scheme attracted feck all interest, except from SBC, before it had demonstrated it's many wonders and benefits what are the odds of anyone in their right bloody mind investing now?

I would guess the case for the defence is being assembled now and 'within the rules' will play a key part.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
Rather than dwell on the past, I am determined to proactively seek out new opportunities to reshape this initiative so it can realise its potential and deliver something positive for the people of Swindon.”

I thought SBC was simply a shareholder - why is Coun Perkins seeking a partner to assist Digital City's project, surely the only person who needs to be working his butt off finding new lines of finance is one Rikki Hunt.

Incidentally back in April 2010 Digital City had acquired financing other than that provided by SBC which begs the question - just how much seed capital did this project really need?

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
As the loan from Swindon Borough Council is now due for repayment within the next 12 months, it'd be classed as current liability, I believe (though accounting conventions aren't my strong point). Digital City (UK) Ltd must have the ability to repay it, otherwise it couldn't regard itself as a going concern.  ::)
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 09:47:44 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that Perkins was/is actually a director. In which case, he damn well should be working to ensure success.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
That's the worry.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:14 PM »
In these hard times you could do a lot with £400,000 - voluntary groups, grass cutting next year, etc..

What will go to prop up this disgraceful waste of money?

Bring in the barbeque, I hear pork is on the menu!

I know of at least 5 redundant staff who could do with their jobs back.

When If it all falls through, what will be the cost of taking all the technology down off the lamposts to sell to recoup the loses?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
I wonder if this is the 'Conflicting' priority that is stopping Gavin Jones from getting off his arse and Telling his staff about redundancies etc....

I wonder if one of those 'priorities' is whether he still be employed at SBC to do it any way?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Ringer

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:45 AM »
"It would be a great opportunity if we can raise the finance.
“It is absolutely key, and it always has been for me, that we get the loan paid on time.
"I don’t think it’s a potential stumbling block so long as somebody’s got the appetite. I think it’s important that the council stays there as a partner.  “It’s really, really hard because of what has gone before to put times on these things.”

As the company is in negotions with an investor, he has no option, but to say that ? ??????

Are people hearing that it is being claimed that the council has been told agreed to keep it  :-X for the next couple of weeks and not discuss it until after then? It must be that good news is in the offing :fish:

Please note Mr H. The council is not a partner it is a shareholder and you should know that as you and Cllr Perkins are both Directors on the Board.

Is it possible for one of you to confirm whether the following statement no longer applies?
In the medium to long term we are maintaining a dialogue with Swindon Borough Council who do have a programme of replacing concrete lampposts with more modern steel ones. As Street furniture is upgraded we hope to be able to extend our network coverage. We are not in a position to put a timetable on when this might happen

Has it been confirmed  or published anywhere that Highworth pilot is complete? Otherwise  it is in direct conflict with this statement.
Since it was launched in December 2009, severe delays have meant the promise of town-wide limited free wi-fi by December last year went unfulfilled, with only the Highworth pilot area being completed.
Unless of course the statements on wifi are always  open to a matter of interpretation?

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
Has it been confirmed  or published anywhere that Highworth pilot is complete?

Sometimes one has to accept that 'complete' might mean less than 100% but in excess of 95%.  In this respect Highworth is complete.  Which of course begs the question as to why there has been an abysmal lack of effort in marketing and selling in the town.

It was always accepted and acknowledged in the original Cabinet Briefing Note "that the success of the company, particularly in the early stages, and consequently for SBC to achieve a return from its shareholding will depend tp a large extent on the success of the marketing campaign"

Given that the officers and councillors responsible for writing up and presenting those conclusions felt a marketing activity was so critical, it is simply amazing that in the past 12 months no marketing campaign has been undertaken.

Even in February of 2010 Rikki Hunt was 'still talking' about what the marketing plan for Highworth was going to be. A leaflet drop at the end of February (he launched the Highworth connection mid December) display window posters (where) A retail presence in the High Street (really) - Mr Hunt is a master of presentation and illusion

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 08:37:49 AM »
Please note Mr H. The council is not a partner it is a shareholder and you should know that as you and Cllr Perkins are both Directors on the Board.

SBC may be 'just' a shareholder of Digital City (UK) Ltd, but what is its exact involvement with 'www.getsignal.co.uk' and the 'Signal' branding?

I'm still very sceptical about the relationships between:  Digital City (UK) Ltd, Avidity consulting, Signal, aQovia Ltd (UK), aQovia Ltd (Isle of Man), & aQovia - yes, there's at least three of them and SBC was initially dealing with the off-shore one, (but claimed not to realise it).  When TS member CHris Watts exposed this, it was denied (iirc) by SBC. The denial was followed by an immediate transfer of share capital between aQovia group companies and change of director within one aQovia company in particular.

More companies were created than were neccessary to conduct the 'business' at hand. In particular, I'm interested in knowing if Avidity consulting created alongside Digital City (UK) Ltd to provide a route by which 'consultants fees' could be paid from Digital City (UK) Ltd, (paid from the loan monies), to other companies & individuals.  Once money has left Digital City (UK) Ltd SBC have no idea or control over where it's gone.....

....and I'm still hearing rumbles that, every 30 days or so,  massive chunks of the loan money gravititated energetically towards Mr Hunt bank.  Salary or consultancy fees?

In the light of Dennis Grants alleged activities at the Cotswold Water Park, I wonder if the Woodentops will get around to looking at Mr Grants business partners and acquaintancies?   That could be interesting, if it isn't already.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »
Sounds like BBC Wilts is on the case, tying to track down Rikki to give a comment.

The presenter just sang "Rikki, don't lose our number" over the link music.

Keep listening.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »
Great interview this morning on the radio by Chris Watts. Extremely fair and factual.
Bobby

ph1lc

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
Geoff - Avidity was almost certainly created as a vehicle to take consultancy fees from DC.
It has one listed director -Laura Hunt and £1 of share capital owned bt Rikki Hunt.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
Great interview this morning on the radio by Chris Watts. Extremely fair and factual.

Justin Tomlinson MP is for this wifi is Robert Buckland MP?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Ringer

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:03 PM »
As the loan from Swindon Borough Council is now due for repayment within the next 12 months, it'd be classed as current liability, I believe (though accounting conventions aren't my strong point). Digital City (UK) Ltd must have the ability to repay it, otherwise it couldn't regard itself as a going concern.  ::)

Of course it can pay it the council has liabilty as a 40% shareholder with the deputy leader on the board. Are you implying that SBC as a 40% shareholder with the deputy leader would be cavalier and risk its own tax payers money?  Do you really believe it is not a going concern when the council has wads of  money in its bank account?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
I think the issue of the shareholding is a red herring.

The acquisition of the shareholding was a security for the loan.  The loan is repayable on demand and if it is not paid there is a remedy open to the Council whereby they can seize the fixed assets of DC (if they are worth anything)

The liability of SBC is limited.

As many will know there are many examples of companies being wound up, dissolved, liquidated despite having welathy shareholders.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »
"if it is not paid there is a remedy open to the Council whereby they can seize the fixed assets of DC (if they are worth anything)"

Better get out to Highworth and do a bit of gorilla shinnying up the telegraph poles now then. I need a new wifi connector, could I then send a signal all around Penhill?

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 04:22:02 PM »
I need a new wifi connector, could I then send a signal all around Penhill?

Hi Muggins - it's an interesting observation and I am sure Chris Watts will be able to tell you more about the techie side of things. In short the boxes on the lamp posts have probably no value beyond scrap to anyone apart from Digital City and because we are not privy to the real relationship between them an aQovia, who knows what is the utility value of the boxes 

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 05:07:04 PM »
because we are not privy to the real relationship between them an aQovia, who knows what is the utility value of the boxes

Chris Watts can tell you , to within a few pence, how much those items were selling for at the time Digital City purchased them.

It's not difficult to estimate reasonably accurately what the cost of placing each hub on each lampost was.

It's even easier to wander around Highworth and count how many have actually been installed.

You will quickly realise, as Chris and I did, that the amount of money spent on the physical aspects of the WiFi system installation is very probably far, far less than you might think, and that the amount of cash taken out of the company for 'consulting' will be far, far higher than you might think reasonable.  (But all within the rules).

So, go on them, have a guess at how many WIfI boxes have actually been fitted to lamp columns, (there should be between forty and fifty), and how much each of them cost to buy, and cost to fit.....  :popcorn:

We'll even invite the guest readership, (including SCS contractors), to play along, by submitting their estimates, leaks and best-guesses to: leaks@talkswindon.org