Author Topic: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm.  (Read 54982 times)

Offline Candide7

• All is for the best in the best of all worlds
Re: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm.
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »
@Jean
"Sorry - I'm mixing up the Swindon Small Scale Extensions Study (SSSES) with the earlier Swindon Principal Urban Extension (PUA) Study. Both were equally biased in their conclusions."

To complete the story. The PUA study was carried out to inform the Local Plan 2011 and Wilts & Swindon Structure Plan 2016 which are adopted development plans for Swindon; the SSSES was carried out to inform the Regional Spatial Stragey (RSS) which was looking at finding locations for much higher housing numbers than we are looking for now (36,000 instead of 19,000 we are looking for now). The RSS has subsequently been scrapped by The Localism Bill 2011.

Neither the RSS which is scrapped or the draft core strategy for Swindon carry much weight under the new NPPF.
Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) - I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it

The opinions and views expressed are my own and are not those of any organisation I belong to

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »

Neither the RSS which is scrapped or the draft core strategy for Swindon carry much weight under the new NPPF.

I understood that the final alterations to the Revised Proposed Submission Draft of the Swindon Core Strategy  is due out anytime now (we were told June) and will be submitted to the Sec of State and for public comment, before going to a planning inquiry.   

The Structure Plan and the Local Plan only ran to 2011. The argument will run along the lines that the Core Strategy might now carry more weight.
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Candide7

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
@Jean
"I understood that the final alterations to the Revised Proposed Submission Draft of the Swindon Core Strategy  is due out anytime now (we were told June) and will be submitted to the Sec of State and for public comment, before going to a planning inquiry.   

The Structure Plan and the Local Plan only ran to 2011. The argument will run along the lines that the Core Strategy might now carry more weight."

Apparently not if you read the Secretary of State's letter on Commonhead Appeal published 27th March 2012 - he clearly stated Draft Core Strategy was some way off being adopted and was thereby afforded limited weight in planning decision-making. Nothing has changed between March and now with regard to Draft Core Strategy. My understanding is that due to the unprecedented number of comments on its soundness it will have to go out for public comment again. The QC for Taylor Wimpey at Ridgeway Appeal used the same argument stating Draft Core Strategy was unsound.

The Structure Plan was to 2016. The Local Plan to 2011.
Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) - I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it

The opinions and views expressed are my own and are not those of any organisation I belong to

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
Swindon's Labour Group Leader Jim Grant says planning application for 1,700 houses at Tadpole Farm should be deferred http://www.swindonlink.com/news/call-for-tadpole-farm-decision-to-be-deferred

Offline Candide7

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2012, 05:16:03 PM »
"To quote Old Town campaigner Kareen Boyd: "In 2009 the Department for Education awarded £6,374m to Swindon Borough Council on the basis of need for school places in North Swindon (295), Central Swindon (173) and Old Town (13). The Government proviso was that this money could be reclaimed if this award was not in permanent accomodation by Feb 2012.

"In December 2009 Swindon allocated all of the £6,374m to the school to be built in Old Town/Croft - the second 420 pupil primary school in Old Town in two years."

Am I missing something here? Why the hell are we building schools in Old Town when North Swindon is massively undersupplied? 295 is a much greater number than 13! :WTF:

Offline Candide7

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
First the Section 106 money and then the Schools money - Why is North Swindon getting screwed on a regular basis? :surrender:

Smiler

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2012, 05:50:19 PM »
Not wanting to spoil the blue sky with some very dark clouds BUT there's a touch of a psychedelic Boudicca met-her-Waterloo about yesterday evening.  The blue ship, Boudicca sailed into the locality of the north with a female figurehead ravaged by storms on its prow.  It was ranting and raving and ready to fight the developers after years of peace with the Great-Crested newt expanders from North of the Young Frog Shipping Lane.

All of a sudden two enemy ships appeared named the "Ruddy Runard" and the "London Hairstyle" (previously registered as the "The Big Barnet") fighting the Boudicca and her crew.  We are doomed they cried.  These blue suppporters have joined forces with the Great Crested newts and are repelling us.  They will bring devastation on the seas of the North.  We have had two years to prepare for this war but we were silly to leave it so late to wake ourselves up and arm ourselves against their newt-like tongues!  I know, says the Boudicca, perhaps the crew of this ship can perform a miracle and convince the Northern sea dwellers that we have always been on their side with 4,000 messages-in-bottles through their portholes!

The moral of this sea story is to make sure you make your portholes water tight against the Boudicca-come-latelys gushing litres of bilge water onto your decks.

MrGrumpy

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »
The question also has to be asked about trip rate figures...

For Ridgeway Farm (700 houses) the developer's estimated trip rate from the site down Mead Way is many times higher than the figures claimed by Crest for Tadpole Farm (1700 houses)....

So as a developer is hardly likely to overestimate this figure, this implies that Crest may be being a touch optimistic on their impact on Mead Way...

MrGrumpy

« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:02 PM »
Could also add that Crest figures are low as they have internalised their trips....  This means they are assuming that Tadpole Farm residents will use the on-site school, shops, leisure facilities and so will not need to use their cars to leave the estate....

But hang on, there is no primary school in the first phase, no secondary school at all and the rest of the community facilities may never be there given Crest's record at Redhouse!

So all of those 'internal' trips will really be cars leaving the site but they have not been counted in the external trip rates....

Offline Muggins

« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2012, 06:52:24 PM »
Just to remind people of that conversation back in the planningstages of Northern Development, when we were pouring over the Master Plan.  A query was raised as to why the Secondary School was placed right out the rim of ND.  Some wit came back with 'It's pretty obvious that at some point the school will be in the middle of development' 

That's Isambard School as is now.  That planning was happening at the same time that they were doing urban fringe wildlife studies, the urban fringe they were studying was of course, Penhill and Haydon Wick.

And the Newts are no joke!  They are a rare species in the world and Swindon has the biggest concentration of them anywhere. Or we did have!  :'(
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
And the Newts are no joke!  They are a rare species in the world and Swindon has the biggest concentration of them anywhere. Or we did have!  :'(

Better be, quite a lot of s106 money spent on their habitat, one of the most fullfilling things I was involved was making sur ethey were protected, North Swindon doesn't know how lucky they are to have such a well protected endangered species. The great crested newt should be THE emblem of Priory Vale / Abbey meads

Offline Muggins

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2012, 08:01:48 AM »
"The great crested newt should be THE emblem of Priory Vale / Abbey meads2

Or Swindon even!

Although I do wonder if they are being moved out undercover to ponds at Stanton Park............????
Has WWT abandonded them also?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
I don't think that WWT get so excited about Great Crested Newts anymore, albeit that they are still a protected species. There seem to be more of them about than once thought. We've got them in our garden pond

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36164377@N07/3503847746/#

Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2012, 08:37:26 AM »
Great picture of a humming bird hawk moth on that site.

I see that, after a strange dormant phase, people are now gradually returning to the Adver comments sections.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9752186.Residents_are_urged_to_have_say_on_Tadpole_Farm_homes/
Proud to be gone

George Elliot

« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Though important for Ecology please forget  the Newts they are thriving and please forget the eons of history. Please get real, this is happening locally to you in real time Tadpole is what you see is what you are going to get! Where are the Libdems on this development before  they joined the Tories they were very green! Will Cllr Nicky Sewell on planning speak up for the Libdems in Swindon who live around here?

Come on Libdems and that includes the councillors get off the fence and speak up the Tories need to know that there are Libdems in North Swindon. The politician Libdems  may have joined the Tories and abandoned Libdems principles about environment, which still need to be represented!

What a classic all motherhood and applepie quote from developers Crest Nicholson
John Terry, managing director of Crest Strategic Projects, said: “The development is designed to meet the expansion needs of Swindon and will reflect the best in attractive sustainable housing. “Tadpole Farm will provide access to high quality schools, shops and community facilities. It will deliver the larger, family housing that Swindon now needs with environmental enhancements along the River Ray. Furthermore it will create much needed construction jobs for the area and a legacy of employment which we believe will in turn support Swindon’s economy.”

MrGrumpy

« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
The sad thing is that at the Ridgeway Farm appeal SBC said, as part of their evidence, that the SBC Cabinet were recommending approval of the plans for Tadpole Farm and that therefore Ridgeway Farm should not be built on....

So if the Cabinet has recommended approval of the plans, it must be noted that one of the Councillors signing the letter mentioned in the Adver article is on Cabinet - does this mean that at best Cllr Edwards is confused or is he being disingenuous with the people of Priory Vale?

Also, there are members of this same Cabinet that have seats on the Planning Committee that meets on Tuesday next week - can they truly say that they have not already made up their mind having approved Tadpole at Cabinet?  This includes the Cabinet Member for Planning!

Is the deck being stacked?

Offline Candide7

« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2012, 10:40:44 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9752186.Residents_are_urged_to_have_say_on_Tadpole_Farm

"The moral of this sea story is to make sure you make your portholes water tight against the Boudicca-come-latelys gushing litres of bilge water onto your decks."

Boudicca and two charioteers seen in vicinity of North on young frog lane. Yet the Northern Sea dwellers were not fooled. For years they had seen Boudicca's alliance with the Crested Newts and her betrayal of the Northern Sea dwellers. They knew they could not trust Boudicca in the defence of their homeland against the Newts and so made their own plans instead.  :fence:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2012, 01:36:40 PM »
Geroge: "Though important for Ecology please forget  the Newts they are thriving and please forget the eons of history. Please get real, this is happening locally to you in real time Tadpole is what you see is what you are going to get!"

There are good reaons for harping back on the history, if they went to the bother of putting a school on the edge of a large development, so that it could serve as a secondary school for a larger area, it means that there will be more and more dvelopment tagged on to the other side of Tadpole Lane.  i.e. you will fight this one, and but then there will be another and another and another.

The Newts will be important when you give up fighting the development and start fighting for something decent to be left in it. 

Just a reminder that when the Northern Development Action Group was set up, it was fighting 10,000 houses not a few hundred.  My advise would be to build into your fight for the Tadpole Lane Development some sort of fight for the whole of the farmland on the other side. Start now by building up your knowledge of how it works and what it takes or you will be fire-fighting development all along it's length for years and years to come. 

It's not happening to me, it already happened.......

Offline Candide7

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
@Mr Grumpy

"The sad thing is that at the Ridgeway Farm appeal SBC said, as part of their evidence, that the SBC Cabinet were recommending approval of the plans for Tadpole Farm and that therefore Ridgeway Farm should not be built on....

So if the Cabinet has recommended approval of the plans, it must be noted that one of the Councillors signing the letter mentioned in the Adver article is on Cabinet - does this mean that at best Cllr Edwards is confused or is he being disingenuous with the people of Priory Vale?

Also, there are members of this same Cabinet that have seats on the Planning Committee that meets on Tuesday next week - can they truly say that they have not already made up their mind having approved Tadpole at Cabinet?  This includes the Cabinet Member for Planning!"

Members of the planning committee that have pre-determined their views should not be allowed to cast a vote.

I can think of a one Cllr Nick Martin that comes into the category. He is on record at Ridgeway Appeal stating his view that Tadpole Farm goes ahead (so that Ridgeway doesn't have to go ahead). Talk about a clear conflict of interest there. He has pre-determined his view clearly.

Offline Candide7

« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
@Mr Grumpy
"The sad thing is that at the Ridgeway Farm appeal SBC said, as part of their evidence, that the SBC Cabinet were recommending approval of the plans for Tadpole Farm and that therefore Ridgeway Farm should not be built on....

Re: Cllr Edwards. That's very interesting....him being on the Cabinet that is recommending Tadpole farm be built etc. That's not what he was saying on the doorstep in Priory Vale prior to the May 3rd elections. Conservative pre-election flyers for Priory Vale attached. Isn't that Cllr Edwards in the photo titled "Fighting inappropriate development"?