Author Topic: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm.  (Read 59564 times)

Offline Ringer

North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm.
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
The Oakhurst Residents Association is holding a meeting about the expansion of houses, this is Tadpole Farm. It is interesting to Note Ridgeway Farm is going to impact on North Swindon. The traffic will move through Haydon Wick, Moredon and down through the west to the M4. The Link magazine has been pushing this for about 3 years, it looks like the chickens are coming home to roost. Never mind Freshbrook with 178 houses, there are ten times that  number on their way for one part of one site.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8779851.Traffic_fears_over_North__Swindon_homes_plan/

Tadpole Expressway will become a green lane? Can anyone comment on that from the North? New Road and Tunnel under the A419 is another interesting part of the  article.

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Re: North Swindon Expands Westwards and North Towards Chapel Farm.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »
I suspect that this is another part of Swindon's countryside that is doomed to go under bricks and water. The emerging Swindon Core Strategy for Tadpole Farm (proposed by Swindon Borough Council) included the land-use policy copied in below.

I understand that the latest version of the Swindon Core Strategy will be going before SBC's cabinet meeting on 19 January as a draft document before it goes out for public consultation.

SSP9: Tadpole Farm

Provision will be made for a mixed-use community of 2,000 homes at Tadpole Farm.
Proposals for development at Tadpole Farm must:
i) Consider the cumulative impact of development with the other 3,000
homes to be provided as smaller scale urban extensions in Wiltshire
ii) Provide at least 35% affordable housing at a tenure mix in accordance
with CP4: Housing
iii) Make appropriate contributions towards the delivery of a new
multi-modal transport link between north and west Swindon and Swindon’s
Central Area
iv) Make appropriate contributions towards the delivery of a new secondary
school to meet demand generated by the cumulative impact of the
smaller scale urban extensions
v) Provide public transport links from the first phase of any new development
vi) Provide the equivalent of 1 new primary school or 2 forms-of-entry
on-site to meet demand with an additional one form-of-entry as
temporary accommodation to manage the temporary peak
vii) Provide around 5 hectares of employment land, this should provide for
smaller businesses and / or be associated with any energy facility
viii) Provide a neighbourhood centre, using a traditional ‘high-street’ model,
including local retail facilities, community facilities and other uses
appropriate to a mixed-use neighbourhood centre
ix) Provide a sustainable travel solution for all modes of transport including
links through Redhouse and Oakhurst
x) Protect and enhance Green Infrastructure links through the site between
Swindon and the countryside and support the objectives for the Cricklade
Country Way Corridor
xi) Provide an appropriate scale and range of formal and informal sport,
leisure and recreation areas in accordance with DMP8: Green
Infrastructure Principles
xii) Provide landscape mitigation measures in the form of tree-planting to the
north and east of the site to reduce the visual impact of development
Live simply so that others might simply live

MrGrumpy

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
So the great public consulation for Tadpole Farm has begun, with spin in full swing.  The plans on display were not really different to the leaked ones from the other year, traffic models seem to have estimated that from an estate or 1760 houses, only 600 cars are expected to leave the estate during a typical working morning, and there is no cosideration for West Swindon in the traffic impact analysis...

According to the Adver today over a hundred residents turned up - that is two or three times more than actually did turn up...

The Development Director from Crest is quoted as saying that "a lot of people will be reacting emotionally but the perception is different to the reality" - I say too right!  The reality for the residents will be very different from the perceptions of the developer!

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
Only 600 cars! On Thursday night after reading a comment from a councillor about the driving times being extended in west Swindon at 5.15/20 I thought I would drive to Morrissons in Haydon Wick. I thought mead Way will be out of the question as it builds up back to great Western Way. I went out the back way past Peatmoor school and noted that Traffic was backed up to Caso Paolo in Washpool waiting to move into Meads. I then wanted to cross over the railway bridge at Swindon & Cricklade Railway Blunsdon station. The traffic was backed up here both ways very badly.

I did not use the roundabout to go down Oakhurst way as traffic was stood at that so went up Tadpole Expressway and out to Thamesdown drive via St Andrews Ridge. I then turned right down Thamesdown drive it was backed up so went through Shepperton drive and came out of the back of ASDA this was a slow drive to Morrisons. I keft Morrisions at 18.15/20 and turned left up towards Akers way traffic was slow and at the roundabout with Akers way it was nose to tail all the way back until I turned off Meads and went through the industrial estate.

Traffic in west Swindon is already diabolical and traffic mangement flows are seriously stymied at rush hour times which is causing rat running.   What a journey just to go shopping at Morrisions to get items that only Morrisons stock/sell.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
Only 600 cars! On Thursday night after reading a comment from a councillor about the driving times being extended in west Swindon at 5.15/20 I thought I would drive to Morrissons in Haydon Wick. I thought mead Way will be out of the question as it builds up back to great Western Way. I went out the back way past Peatmoor school and noted that Traffic was backed up to Caso Paolo in Washpool waiting to move into Meads. I then wanted to cross over the railway bridge at Swindon & Cricklade Railway Blunsdon station. The traffic was backed up here both ways very badly.

I did not use the roundabout to go down Oakhurst way as traffic was stood at that so went up Tadpole Expressway and out to Thamesdown drive via St Andrews Ridge. I then turned right down Thamesdown drive it was backed up so went through Shepperton drive and came out of the back of ASDA this was a slow drive to Morrisons. I keft Morrisions at 18.15/20 and turned left up towards Akers way traffic was slow and at the roundabout with Akers way it was nose to tail all the way back until I turned off Meads and went through the industrial estate.

Traffic in west Swindon is already diabolical and traffic mangement flows are seriously stymied at rush hour times which is causing rat running.   What a journey just to go shopping at Morrisions to get items that only Morrisons stock/sell.

Was it worth it Mr W ?

I mean - did you find any bargains in Morrisons  >:D

Anything to write home about in the 'reduced isle' ?  :angel:

I bet you purchased a 'tiger loaf and a big block of mature cheddar' innit !

Joking aside - Yes the traffic around those areas mentioned is pretty bad at times !

I wonder what it will be liked if/when the Tadpole farm development goes ahead  :-\

Incidently - did anyone attend the meeting re: the Tadpole Farm development at Isambard school last night ?

Chavster  :angel:
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
Evidently a planning application for Tadpole Farm has been submitted to SBC in outline. We learnt this fact at the Coate planning inquiry. No details yet, and obviously SBC hasn't put the paperwork together to inform anyone.

Live simply so that others might simply live

MrGrumpy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »
Application reference is S/11/1588 - no details as it is just an outline planning application for 1700 houses with access from Tadpole Lane...

Offline bobwright

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:05:15 PM »
Without a sensible road policy it is difficult to see how any development will improve life for old and new Swindon residents.

It is expected Swindon will continue to expand due to various interests. A local plan should be in place to address future needs and to assist in sensible and desirable development. The absence of such a plan may be regarded as negligence. Development may be regarded as a positive thing but not if it is not controlled or rides on the back of systems that are already overloaded. The North Swindon affect travels all the way to the Town Centre. Steve has illustrated the West Swindon outcome, just try travelling along residential roads in Central Ward which have to bear incoming and departing traffic. We need an intergrated transport plan connecting all means of travel as well as providing suitable roads.

Crucially Fleming Way was designed to fly over the railway and connect with North Star Avenue. This project was put on hold and then stymied by office development. I think this needs reflecting on again as more offices are proposed which will actually get rid of part of Fleming Way as we know it. Over 20 years ago Western Ward councillors sought an alternative to Cheney Manor Road to take a traffic load equal to the population of Salisbury away from existing residential roads. Whilst a roundabout has been put into B & Q we need an actual road. You can't say it can't be done, it has happened in Wichelstowe.

A Cricket pitch whilst 'nice' is hardly a key feature demanded by existing residents sorting out the traffic is.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:39:51 AM »
Wow Bob never knew that about Fleming Way, makes a lot of sense.

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
A Cricket pitch whilst 'nice' is hardly a key feature demanded by existing residents sorting out the traffic is.

And just who will use the pitch, when Cricket as a local sport is dying off.... There aren't enough teams to sustain the ones we've got

Sad but true.....

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 06:31:09 PM »
What no cricket, I suppose they will turn to ski-ing instead?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

MrGrumpy

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:41:58 AM »
Some interesting gossip up here.  Councillors at SBC are demonstrating how connected they are to the electorate.  Thousands in North Swindon have spoken against development at Tadpole Farm in the last few months but the Councillors know best.  About 240 houses to be delivered by 2018 - that should solve the five-year housing supply issues!!

Does the Leader really believe that the infrastructure is in place?  What - promises of infrastructure in a few years time.  Yeah, we've heard that before.  The NDA bears testament to the non-delivery of infrastructure.  Also the opposiition leader is still saying that he's for Tadpole Farm.  He should have listened to the electorate and worked out that the infrastructure debate couldn't be solved.  So, it should have been a NO!  Could have been a vote winner up here rather than 85% of voters reluctant to place their X for the Tories.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
The infrastructure that is in place is creaking at the seams and at the recent appeal re the Ridgeway Farm development. Shaw residents gave a report on the impact of traffic in Shaw, Mannington Western. 

http://www.shawresidents.org.uk/index_files/docs/community%20submission.pdf

Summary http://www.shawresidents.org.uk/index_files/docs/sum%20up.pdf

Priory Vale did have a low turn out, but back to infrastructure I heard that there was a traffic survey being undertaken in Oakhurst yesterday. I was surprised at that as I thought at a  time when Tadpole Lane is closed and on a day before Diamond Jubilee weekend it may not be A typical of traffic in that area.

Proof that TS is being read in real time since posting this I have been contacted by email. It is claimed that the traffic count/survey was in Longworth Drive yesterday.

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

MrGrumpy

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
So Shaw Residents have done that?  If they can do that then why don't councillors do the same?  I hear that Oakhurst has a residents association who have been leading a campaign driven by residents for residents.  Their ex-councillors and current councillors are perceived to have done very little.  Did any of them appear at the Ridgeway Farm appeal to speak up on behalf of their residents?

The North Swindon MP, who was a councillor for 10 years, is perceived to have contributed to the hurt that Priory Vale residents feel and the general feeling of being let down by the politicians who they voted to represent them.

Cllr Bluh has been to meetings in Oakhurst and given an undertaking to do a traffic survey.  Where is it?  It appears that Conservative councillors say one thing and do the opposite or worse still it is perceived they don't appear to do anything.  The other thing that is very difficult to do is to interact with councillors and others at the Borough who say that is what I said but that is not what I meant or you have interpreted what I said in a different way to me.  It's akin to saying I don't recollect saying that.

And the people round here wonder why they are paying a Parish rate.   The Parish seems to be acquiescing to what the big boys are doing.  Blunsdon Parish and Haydon Wick Parish should be in the vanguard here and not standing in the shadow of SBC.  My mother always said that the best disinfectant is sunlight.  Has this got anything to do with the governance review of the Parish Councils?

George Elliot

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
Mr Grumpy

Don't be too hard on Parish Councils they do from what I know get involved in a big way with planning applications. I believe Swindon has recognised that and if I recall want to take planning powers or rights from parish councillors.

I am sure if parish councils can exercise so much invective over planning applications for porches, conservatories, signs and garages etc. Then they must be salivating at the mere thought of involvement with such an issue as a big housing development and it's roads, schools etc.

Or do they only deal with signs, porches, conservatories, stables, caravans on agricultural land conversion of properties for holiday let and not forgetting garages? 

Offline Candide7

• All is for the best in the best of all worlds
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
I'm afraid what we are seeing with the Tory Council's unstoppable thirst to build more houses in the North of Swindon is part of the fall out from the Tory's plan to win the marginal seats of Swindon at the last general election. North and South Swindon were Tory/Labour marginals at last election and dear Mr Cameron had to win these seats to have any chance of forming a Government. Cameron even came to Greendown School before last election - I was in the audience that day. The Tories had a problem though - East Swindon. The Labour Government's planning framework - Regional Spatial Strategy for South West - called for 30,000+ houses to be built in Swindon, 17,000 of which to be built in East Swindon. Why would that be a problem when a decade's worth of evidence which informed the RSS said development to the East was the most sustainable direction of growth for Swindon? The problem was this was a "very inconvenient truth" to the Tories because East Swindon is full of Tory voters who were understandably very unhappy about the thought of 17,000 new houses in their backyard. So much so that the Tories were afraid that loss of Tory votes in the East of Swindon could scupper their plans to take the marginal seats. What did they do? The Tory council re-wrote the Local Plan scaling back the size of development significantly in the East (by a greater % than anywhere else). The outcome of this was that other "less sustainable locations" in Swindon had to accommodate housing. Tadpole Farm is one of these locations.

Peter Greenhalgh is on record at a public meeting in one of the Eastern villages as saying " we won't repeat the mistakes we made in North Swindon" here in the East. What mistakes might these be? Lack of infrastructure perhaps? For example the Purton-Iffley Road Link in the North - a condition attached to the Haydon 3 agreement. Never transpired. Well guess what? Greenhalgh's admission about mistakes in the North are about to be repeated...in the North again at Tadpole Farm. Probably about as unsustainable location as you can find requring a new Link Road to the A419 to be built, significant investment required to upgrade wastewater network at near-full capacity, inadequate primary and secondary school places. Even Thames Water and the Highways Agency say only 300 of the 1700 houses can be built without the network and highways upgrade. The developers say a link road will be built but not until 2020 after they have built Phase 1 of 300 houses. By that time Crest will have buggered off and sold the land to other developers. Those developers will almost certainly negotiate away the need for an expensive link road with the council - which neither can afford anyway. The Council couldn't get a grant for Purton-Iffley in more prosperous times - how the hell are they going to get one when the Government coffers are empty. They won't.

By this time The Tory council will be gone and the new Labour administration will be picking up the pieces!
Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) - I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it

The opinions and views expressed are my own and are not those of any organisation I belong to

George Elliot

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
By this time The Tory council will be gone and the new Labour administration will be picking up the pieces!

If they do no doubt the Tories will be reminding people it was Labour that voted for it, because the planning committee is representative of all parties.

Offline Candide7

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
"If they do no doubt the Tories will be reminding people it was Labour that voted for it, because the planning committee is representative of all parties."

Indeed. If they do... they will have fallen into the Tory "trap"!  :spin:
Francois-Marie Arouet (Voltaire) - I hate what you say but I defend your right to say it

The opinions and views expressed are my own and are not those of any organisation I belong to

Offline Steve Wakefield

Tadpole Farm Planning Application 12th June 2012
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
Development and Expansion in North Swindon needs  the Purton Iffley Road Link and a spine road up to the A419. This will alleviate traffic in West Swindon, so I all for it being built. I think I understand GE in respect of parish councils, however the matter of the allocation of North S106 monies has been  a matter, which I believe both Blunsdon  and HW have been pursuing.

Cllr Renard attends the HW meetings I have seen him there and I have no doubt that like some other councillors do with their respective PCs. Cllr Barnet and Cllr Ellis probably have a good working relationship with HW.  Cllr Peter Heaton-Jones until he retired recently from it was a member of the HW parish. I attended a public meeting in Blunsdon about the Tadpole proposal and I belive it had members of the parish in attendance.

It is a case of who will turn up at the planning meeting and speak about the development. I shall be attending and hope to see councillors from wards and parishes who have questions/objections to this development and it's infrastructure implications and requirements.

I have included a link here for a lst of documents to do with the application S/11/1588 http://194.73.99.13:8080/WAM/showCaseFile.do?appType=Planning&appNumber=S/11/1588

Offline Candide7

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
"Development and Expansion in North Swindon needs  the Purton Iffley Road Link and a spine road up to the A419. This will alleviate traffic in West Swindon, so I all for it being built."

100% agree that further development and expansion in North needs those two roads, but the current administration does not think the former is needed (Purton-Iffley) and seems happy to defer the building of the latter to some time after 2020 - if indeed ever!

Let's get real here. Purton-Iffley is unlikely to be ever built because it costs $100 million quid, The Northern Link road to A419 will cost a tidy penny too and in my opinion will go the same way as Purton-Iffley. There is no planning obligation on it to make its building legally enforceable as part of Crest's Tadpole Farm application only a condition, as was Purton-Iffley. The developers won't pay for them. The council would either have to get a Government grant (unlikely) or some future administration borrow money to pay for them. It ain't gonna happen.

North and West Swindon will be left with more houses and and even greater infrastructure deficit than it has now.