Author Topic: Strike at the Swindon Advertiser 6th & 7th of January?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Strike at the Swindon Advertiser 6th & 7th of January?
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:18:35 AM »

The Lamplighters network is groaning slowly to life after a well deserved booze, pork & mince pie ridden Christmas break  :santa_smiley:

Hot topics this week are:

1. We're told that 30% of the Swindon Advertiser staff in Swindon will be on strike today and tomorrow. Who what & why?  Hat tip to Johnny F.

2. Civic Rumour Mill 1.0 - Who's hot, and who's not the hot tip for deputy Mayor this year? (to become Mayor in 2012 when all-out elections in Swindon may mean the Mayor will be casting crucial votes in a potentially hung council).

Three names which keep cropping up are:

Mavis Childs  (payment for her 'for vote' on the emergency budget she promised residents she would vot 'against' on?)

David Renard

Mick Bray

3. Discussing the Wifi'asco in the civic offices is causing furtive looks and whispered corridor conversations.  Lamplighters are hinting darkly that all is not healthy between Digital City, Aqovia and SBC.  Does the Wifiasco still have a pulse and blood pressure or is it soon to be pronounced DOA?

4. What caused Michael 'Homer' Dickinson to wet himself the other day and why did Bob Buckland make a hasty, (and unusually lonely) appearance in the Adver to discuss his opposition to the Hook Street development?

5. Who will Labour select to campaign against 'Homer' Dickinson in Freshbrook & Grange Park this year?

6. Where will Steve Wakefield stand, (if selected), and who have the Conservatives selected to stand in Toothill ?

7. Have the Swindon Conservatives submitted their accounts yet?

8. Rumour has it that Glenn Smith (Cons: Covingham & Nythe) and Martin Wiltshire (LibTory: Eastcott) are standing down this year - Smith because he's disgusted with Rod Bluh's premiership & Wiltshire because, this year, he can't be arsed to turn up for selection, let alone a council meeting.

9. Are Cllr's Dale Heenan and the Mammy usurping 'violent' Vera Tomlinson's position in the Conservative group?

10. Is Rod Bluh pulling the 'at home sick' stunt while he fends off another leadership challenge, this time from a Fionualala Foley/Perkinator threat ? (not sure that I find this one particularly credible, but I'll ask anyway)

Not bad for week 1......  answers/info/tittle-tattle & gossip (in complete confidence to) The Talkswindon Leakline 

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Strike at the Swindon Advertiser 6th & 7th of January?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »
Re: 6

Labour have selected Steve Wakefield to stand in Toothill & Westlea http://www.councillorstevewakefield.org.uk/?p=1811

The Conservatives have opted for another young'un and selected a 21 year old called 'Bissex' - I can't remember his first name - a friend of Cllr Nick Martins son.

Re: 5 We know, but can't say who - good reason for this (non political)

Re:   Mavis childs is slipping down the running order for Mayor after failing to gain support from the Conservtive group.

When Mavis was a labour councillor she gained just one vote (her own) when going for the mayoral seat, robes and car. She defected directly into the conservative group shortly afterwards.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »

Re: 10. We're still receiving traffic concerning Cllr Foley and a leadership bid but are now hearing that Garry Perkins is looking even glummer than is usual.

Worth remembering that Nick Martin has considerable influence with the selection committee which, in the year Perkins is up for re-election, may be the only way of keeping Perkins under control.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »
Re:   Mavis childs is slipping down the running order for Mayor after failing to gain support from the Conservtive group.

When Mavis was a labour councillor she gained just one vote (her own) when going for the mayoral seat, robes and car. She defected directly into the conservative group shortly afterwards.

Having thought about this, it is highly unlikely to go to anyone who will potentially lose their seat in the 2012 all outs. With the potential of a NOC council, the Tories will not risk another Doreen Dart experience where the Mayor Elect actually lost their seat. Although many might say its highly unlikely, the Mayoral casting vote (Derek Benfield Feb 04) could be a deciding factor should the council become NOC.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:27:17 AM »
I guess somebody must know if there was an Adver staff non-appearance on the 6th/7th by now?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:42 PM »
Funnily enough 20 one one of those days our Adver didn't appear at it's usual eta of 6.30am (better than an alarm clock)  However we were not too rattled by this as it happens about once a fortnight.   Later I pointed out to Mr Muggins, perhaps they might be on strike, I knew this because I had read it on TS.   However about lunch time I received a phone call from a very polite gent asking if our Adver had been delivered. It still had not arrived, but he said there had been an incident on the round and that we should get it later in the afternoon, which we did.

I do wish they would not say 'incident on the round', what's that then has the papergirl has fallen off her bike, been mugged, bullied or worse!!

If they had a strike it did not affect it much, although the paper was thin for a few days.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
The strike was called off

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »

Hadn't paid much more attention to this (stopped buying the adver after I was banned from making online comments)...

...But, I've received a tip that the strike has been rescheduled for later in the month - around the 20th ('ish)