Author Topic: Lord Wills Of North Swindon  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Ringer

Lord Wills Of North Swindon
« on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Admins can we have a Lord Wills of North Swindon Like there is a Justin Tomlinson MP and Robert Buckland MP Slot? And maybe a Lord Stoddart one too if possible?

I believe what Lord Wills has said about FOI requests at the council and transparency is relevant to Swindon and I and no doubt many others will want to comment on it in the future.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8759498.Elect_the_Lords__says_our_ex_MP/

In the New Year, Lord Wills is set to put forward an amendment to the Localism Bill aimed at getting councils to be more transparent.

He said previous problems with how Swindon Council dealt with Freedom of Information Act requests led him to draft the amendment.

He said: “There are many good local authorities but there are some, including Swindon, who do not give out information they should and people do not know what to do to challenge this.

“I was responsible for the FOI for three years in Parliament and I have always been a supporter of transparency as I think it is crucial to democracy.

“If more power is going to local authorities then they have to be accountable.”

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: Lord Wills Of North Swindon
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 12:34:45 PM »
I'd maybe see this as something other than a cheap political slot were it not for the fact that:

Voting record

How Michael Wills voted on key issues since 2001:[2]

Has never voted on a transparent Parliament.
Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war

Hmmm. Wasn't quite so keen on having a close eye kept on him whilst he was in power...

Although, he's come up with one bright idea at long last:

However one of Lord Wills main aims in the House of Lords will be to abolish himself.

"As soon as I get the chance I shall vote to abolish an unelected House of Lords and abolish myself in favour of a wholly elected chamber which is what I believe in. "

Looking forward to that.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Ringer

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »
I'd maybe see this as something other than a cheap political slot were it not for the fact that:

Voting record

How Michael Wills voted on key issues since 2001:[2]

Has never voted on a transparent Parliament.
Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war

Hmmm. Wasn't quite so keen on having a close eye kept on him whilst he was in power...

Although, he's come up with one bright idea at long last:

However one of Lord Wills main aims in the House of Lords will be to abolish himself.

"As soon as I get the chance I shall vote to abolish an unelected House of Lords and abolish myself in favour of a wholly elected chamber which is what I believe in. "

Looking forward to that.

Thank you 20 for your post it demonstrates there is an interest.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
Thank you 20 for your post it demonstrates there is an interest.

Definitely, I'd be interested in people keeping a VERY close eye on what Lord Will gets up to.

Wasn't Wills the one in charge of Data Protection for the Labour government when the Labour government lost millions of people's private data, twice?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »

Michael Wills didn't have to accept a seat in the HoL to achieve his stated objective. Of course he might believe in a wholly elected second chamber, I don't - so why should he have the power - unelected and unrepresentative as he claims to be - to make the decision?

I wonder what he would do with the title?

Offline thinktank

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
The government did not lose the data the people working for it lost it. The government was lax and it's lucky for them they are not a Swindon company the fines are very high.

Nationwide http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/632993/Nationwide-fined-lack-data-security/  Here is a link with what they lost look at right handside of page there is a list and data loss is far more common than we may think. http://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/identity-theft/data-loss/445/nationwide-bs.htm

Zurich http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Zurich-Insurance-Customer-Details-Loss-Firm-Fined-228m-By-Financial-Services-Authority/Article/201008415704476?f=rss

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:01 PM »
The government did not lose the data the people working for it lost it.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. So, is it the case that any company who outsources the protection of the data they have obtained cannot ever be held responsible if/when that data is made public?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:07:20 PM »
Wasn't Wills the one in charge of Data Protection for the Labour government when the Labour government lost millions of people's private data, twice?

Something I can agree with 20i's on  :santa_smiley:

Yes, Michael Wills was a junior Minister in that dept.  I think we discussed it in the NO2ID section somewhere....

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »
I think he was actually Data Protection Minister. Although, he appeared not to have any idea about what was happening on his watch:

November 2007

Data protection minister Michael Wills has said he was not told that two discs containing 25 million people's data had been lost before an official statement.

Asked when he first heard about the problem - which the chancellor was informed about on 10 November - Mr Wills told the joint committee on human rights: "I'm afraid I learnt about it when I heard the statement in the House of Commons".

He added he thought that "perfectly reasonable".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7113587.stm

I'd hate to think what he'd have thought "embarrasingly inept".

Jack Straw has ordered an inquiry into the loss of a computer hard drive containing the details of up to 5,000 employees of the justice system.

The justice secretary is also trying to establish why he was not told of the blunder, which happened in July 2007.

Earlier, fellow Justice Minister Michael Wills had said there had been too many incidents of data loss in the private sector and the public sector and that "had to stop".

Nov 2007: 25m people's child benefit details, held on two discs
Dec 2007: 7,685 Northern Ireland drivers' details
Dec 2007: 3m learner drivers' details lost in US
Jan 2008: 600,000 people's details lost on Navy officer's stolen laptop
June 2008: Six laptops holding 20,000 patients' details stolen from hospital
July 2008: MoD reveals 658 laptops stolen in four years
Sep 2008: Thousands of prison officers may have been put at risk after a disc containing their names, dates of birth, National Insurance numbers and employee numbers were lost.

Source: all BBC News