Author Topic: TERMINATORED - THE ID CARD & NIR  (Read 961 times)

Offline DavidPayne

TERMINATORED - THE ID CARD & NIR
« on: December 24, 2010, 12:51:48 PM »
ID CARDS SCRAPPED

Identity cards were officially scrapped last night when the Identity Documents Bill was granted Royal Assent. Liberal Democrats have consistently campaigned against ID cards, a scheme introduced by the previous Labour Government. All existing ID cards will be cancelled within one month, and the National Identity Register will be destroyed within two months. The move has saved £845m in planned future investment over the next ten years. 

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-centre/news/IDcard-scrapped

Having resisted through gritted teeeeeth pfffaaaah :censored:, a feral impulse to pen a cruel epitaph to the political career of Anne Snelgrove, (because of her obsequious and intellectually addled allegiance to it, forever in my mind conflated with the menacing, automaton creep towards a totalitarian State, that was the NIR) ... take a breath David! - strangely stilled by the News, I'll settle finally for this -

AWAY! THE MALIGN PAIR OF YOU
AND GOOD RIDDANCE

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: TERMINATORED - THE ID CARD & NIR
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:18:18 PM »
This is excellent news, of course.

Do we have a figure for the total amount of our money that has been completelty squandered on this failed New Labour policy?

I believe that, at one point, they were pissing away £230,000 per day on this horrendous charade. I believe the cost in 2008/2009 alone was around £81 million. I'm guessing the total charade will have cost us all £100 million+?

Just think how many poor and vulnerable people that could have helped.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: TERMINATORED - THE ID CARD & NIR
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:06 PM »
This is excellent news, of course.

and I feel obliged to point out that, in Swindon anyway, the campaign against this scheme has been made up in roughly equal measure of people from the "left" and from the "right" (and hubwards, rimwards, turnwise, widdishins and most other parts of the political spectrum too). It was a bit of a shock to find myself on the same side as a bunch of tories, but I got over it  :santa_smiley:
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)