Author Topic: The 'Idiot Hole' & The Swindon Council Parking Enforcement Officer.  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

This, received recently from Jason Reeves.  APart from the photograph at he foot of the post, Jason also supplied a copy of the Penalty Charge Notice left on his van. I am more than happy to post it on his behalf.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have written this email, in order to give you the details of my parking Gestapo experience, bailiff threat, from Swindon Borough Council.

I have limited access to a telephone during the day, though I am able to return messages, left on my mobile. The van is parked outside my property, should you wish to assess the situation.

You'll know which van this letter refers to, it has a hole in the screen frost protector, labelled "SBC Idiot Hole"

At 10;08 a.m, Monday 22nd November,  I received a penalty charge notice.

I live in an area which incorporates a "resident parking scheme"

I have a fully paid permit, which doesn't expire until July 2011.

My vehicle is taxed, MOTd, and insured.

The "Civil Enforcement Officer" placed the fine under my windscreen wiper.

The charge notice claimed a breach of parking convention (30), "parked longer than permitted"

I pay £130 for the "privilege" of parking outside my own house (£40 for wife's car. £90 for my van).

Upon contacting Swindon Borough Council, they immediately responded that a frost protection cover obscured the view of the parking permit.  I asked why the "Civil Enforcement Officer" didn't look under the bottom corner, where tax discs and such are usually placed.  I was informed that the wardens are not allowed to, in case an alarm goes off.   I questioned the logic of this, as the warden lifted the wiper blade, to place the ticket on my van.  Swindon Borough Council suggested I contest the fine, in writing.

I insisted I would not be paying a fine, as I have not broken any laws. I also protested that I could not offer any further information by writing.

I questioned that they have a system, clearly showing, on screen, that I have paid for permits, to which they agreed. Again they insist that I appeal in writing.

I suggested they take me to court, as I will definitely not be paying for a penalty charge that is unjust.   Swindon Borough Council then informed me that they do not take these matters through a court, but will initiate bailiff's  to visit the "offender's" property to take items of relevant value, in order to pay for the fine and proceeds.

I also enquired, "will it be necessary to write a letter of appeal, every day? As I intend placing a frost protector, across my windscreen, till February, or risk of frost is over"
They said I should put the permit in a side window. I asked if they would be informing all residents of this new rule. They said they would not.

Not all cars would be able to place the permit in a side window.

I also wonder if, when the vehicle does frost over, or has snow on the screen, if we will all receive further fixed penalty notices.

The permit was placed in the lower, left hand corner of my windscreen and SBC acknowledged that I have paid for permits, as observed on their system screen. They still insist that I put a complaint, in writing, though I have nothing more to add, that hasn't been said via the telephone.

The screen cover now has a hole in it, around the permit, and has an arrow pointing to it stating "SBC Idiot Hole".   The van is parked outside my property, should you wish to observe it in my absence.

I do not pay £130 per year, to be bullied by traffic wardens, or SBC

Regards

Jason Reeves

Name and address supplied.

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: The 'Idiot Hole' & The Swindon Council Parking Enforcement Officer.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
See you local councillor and get him/her to sort it out. He/she can then earn some of the allowances we pay them.
Bobby

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:09:03 AM »
Very occaisionally I am surprised at what happens out at the sharp end. Actually Bobby local Councillors are definately on the case. My question is what happens on a frosty morning or when it snows, is every car stuck on reported or alternatively none at all?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline bobwright

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:46 PM »
Bobby - on the case although not sure if I will be value for money

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
Bob, Bobby

Sometimes people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. I think the chap involved shoud patent that idea it is a nifty invention. I am sure some Elf and Saftee geek operative is already writing a policy on how to deal with such a contraption?  :2funny:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
Surely on a cold and snowy mornring all the council will be helping those less fortunate by clearing pathways etc. rather than being out slapping on tickets.

Now there is a game to help brighten an otherwise freezing day - go out snapping any SBC worker doing something irrelevant.  Then go and sanp the person that told him to do it!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
Good suggestion Muggins but how long would your batteries last? Leave alone the card.
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline DavidPayne

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 04:07:02 PM »
Send your email and a digest of the comments so far to the Adver and a copy to Robert Buckland letting each know that you have sent it to the other - you will get nothing but complacent dismissal from SBC and it is only that they have a timeless history of abusing the local populace without restraint, that allows this disdainful indifference to continue. No matter the department, they are 'Public Servants' and to respond with the contempt that awaits any who dare to question the Borough's systems, should earn the next to do it public ignominy and the sack. It is simply beyond justification.

I am well into the preparation for our MP of a formal case-file on SBC ignorant incompetence that will hit his desk with the thump of a sack-of-spuds - this crap has got to stop.

Join in.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 09:06:14 AM »
I've had numerous run-ins over this type of thing. Of course it's all simply a revenue generating exercise.

It has nothing to do with road safety, it has nothing to do with protecting parking for residents, it has nothing to do with being fair or reasonable... and that is very easily proven.

The (very cheap, simple) technology exists for Traffic Wardens (I refuse to call them whatever ridiculous title the Council has dreamt up for them this week) to check any car registration against a database of people who have purchased a residents parking permit for a given zone.

If the Council were, as they repeatedly claim, on the side of the residents, they would simply instruct any warden who believes a car may be incorrectly parked in a residents parking bay to tap in that vehicle's registration and instantly know, for sure, what the actual situation is. That they do not do this proves, beyond any doubt, that it is all about trying to catch people out and sting them for even more money than they've already paid for the priviledge of parking on public road outside their property.

The other sickening aspect of all this is the wardens' approach to people that are 'working' in a given area. In my residents parking zone we are severely lacking in parking bays and yet, for over two years now, a local construction firm has been given free rein to park their numerous vehicles in residents parking bays and (otherwise) 1 hour parking zones with total impunity. When I queried this with a warden she replied, 'They're working here, obviously we can't ticket them', to which I replied, 'I work from home and yet you've been quite happy to ticket me in the past despite knowing my car and knowing I have a resident's parking permit, why is that?'.

Queue the usual, 'I don't like your tone Sir'. Really? Well, I don't like your legalised extortion racket.

Austerity cuts? Yes please... traffic wardens. People actually cheer when those bastards go on strike.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 09:41:15 PM »
20Eyes - spot on assessment of some of the iniquities which rather disprove the lie that enforcement is for the 'benefit' of residents (rather than a cash cow for council).

... It also demonstrates the low intellectual capacity of most of those (employed at our expense, apparently) and their inability (or disinclination) to use common sense or to employ the concept of fair play.

I've an idea - why don't we all get together and nominate Jason Reeves for a Pride of Swindon Award? ;-)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:22:57 PM »
I've only once ever had a parking ticket (more reflective of where I live and the way I use my car than any great virtue on my part).  In fact that one was quite amusing... the ticket had fallen on to my seat because of condensation, and the warden started writing me a ticket but then noticed my car park pay and display ticket on the seat.  So she wrote me a note explaining that their (anti-corruption) rules meant that once they started writing a ticket they had to finish, but giving me instructions on what to do to get the ticket cancelled!!  (which happened without any problem).

So they aren't all evil (but that was on the Isle of Wight not Swindon).

Moley

20Eyes - spot on assessment of some of the iniquities which rather disprove the lie that enforcement is for the 'benefit' of residents (rather than a cash cow for council).

... It also demonstrates the low intellectual capacity of most of those (employed at our expense, apparently) and their inability (or disinclination) to use common sense or to employ the concept of fair play.

I've an idea - why don't we all get together and nominate Jason Reeves for a Pride of Swindon Award? ;-)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
Perhaps others in Swindon Council should write things down...and sign it...... if it helps stop corrutption. :santa_azn:
What's it all about?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Sorry I corrupted that word, it should have been "corruption"
What's it all about?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
 :WTF:
Here's an idea. Why not make a collective list, of all the thoughtless penalty charge notices, that have been issued?
I'll start the ball rolling.
1 - Couldn't see the permit, under a flimsy frost protector
2 - The naughty villian used a pen to deface a visitor permit, instead of scratching it with a coin
3 - The inconsiderate criminal had one wheel on a ( specially introduced) yellow line at 6:30 a.m.

Do as you're told, or we'll send in the bailiffs.
Proud to be gone

Offline peach

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »
Different town, same profiteering idiots :: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335849/Grandmother-slapped-parking-fine-warden-couldn-t-ticket-snow.html

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »
Austerity cuts? Yes please... traffic wardens. People actually cheer when those bastards go on strike.

The council spreadsheet for Parking shows that they only make £150k from 10 CP Zones, but have £350k in salaries...
so SBC say they are subsidising Residents Parking..

I've been suggesting that we go back to pre 2003 and a residents Parking Scheme with Wardens go round in the evenings not Parking Attendents that hide round corners so they can pounce on School Mums.

Failing that I'd like SBC to produce a real breakdown of funds taken in PCNs and to do what any company spending more than it takes does!  That is cut its staff and outgoings..
there are supposed to be 10 PA for 10 zones..
Get Rid of 5 and keep one in the offices so the others can check registrations.
Simples.
I've been trying to get SBC to own up to using Parking as a Cash Cow for years..
They simply ignore FOI and give stupid answers.

What this guy should have done is bill the Parking department for his time. £20ph and ask for the working procedure that PA's have regarding frosty windscreens etc.
Plague the hell out of them and ask others to do the same.
They are supposed to have made all of this public.. but if it is it will be on some unreachable web page..

FYI
It seems the expiry date no longer applies to guest parking permits.
Sales fell to next to nothing so it's been removed. 
They have not sent anything out about this so tell anyone you know lives in Residents parking before they chuck expired permits.

If people do want Parking as  election issue, do not vote labour.. they have been elected in Central for quite a while and talk a lot.. little action though in my opinion.
Vote Independent instead!! ;) :angel: