Author Topic: Justin Tomlison says use all council buildings to provide youth centres  (Read 8987 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8706332.MP_wants_young_people_to_use_council_property/

I welcome Justin Tomlinson making such comments in Westminster and I hope he will work  hard all year round getting back the £1.4 Million that his LibDem Conservative coalition has taken from Swindon. It may help to mitigate the costs of providing his brainchild scheme? It is encouraging to hear him speak so highly of the Platform. Cllrs Wright, Montaut and Ali are very fortunate to have such a facility within his ward, but sadly it is to far from west Swindon to be used effectively as a drop in for young people out in the west.  Bob how often is it used by the young people in your ward and is it open 7 days a week?

I think if Justin Tomlinson can help in anyway to get the £1.4 million back or a big chunk of it, then the liklihood of these cuts to youth services  happening will be greatly reduced?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/8681193.Concern_over_cuts_to_youth_services/

Please help Justin anything you can do will be greatly appreciated.

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

Steve: It is encouraging to hear him speak so highly of the Platform. Cllrs Wright, Montaut and Ali are very fortunate to have such a facility within his ward, but sadly it is to far from west Swindon to be used effectively as a drop in for young people out in the west.

And sadly too far from North Swindon, and East Swindon and South Swindon, and we told them this before they took it. sort of putting all your eggs/corn in one basket that the chickens can't get to.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline bobwright

If it helps any Central is in the South, Robert Buckland's seat although this is not the first time that Justin has looked South for something to talk  about in Parliament. This confusion may arise from the fact that Justin has chosen Central and the South for his office.

Steve - although I have been to the Platform several times I have no records of usuage although they may make interesting reading. It is not unusual for facilities which serve the wider community to be positioned in Central. I have to say I like what has been done to the building with a few exceptions. It builds on the ideas of the New Mechanics Trust who operated the building as the Community Crossroads. They seem to have had no problems with filling the building with local youths and those from further afield.  Shipping in people to justify a building does not make sense, localism is the name of the game. I am sure in time the building use will be back to where it was when the New Mechanic Trust ran it. By the way it does not need to run 7 days a week just be available to run if a use has been identified.

I had misgivings about the original intended use of the building within the 50 promises and I felt the transfer from Community Crossroads could have been handled better however its current incarnation does offer Swindon a wonderful venue for Youths and events. I personally wanted a larger dance space in order to facilitate a range of dancing including ballroom. It would be a great engangement venue for youth and the older generation. I can also see it as a great venue to generate a carnival, providing skills and practising cheer leading. Overall I think it is good for Swindon to have a Central venue of this nature although it does not make sense to ferry people around because of low use. It has to be a destination attractive for youths to want to travel to Central.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
Steve if the past is anything to go by then this will more then likely not happen, i know i have been incredibly critical of Mr Tomlinson in the past and said a couple of things that have been distasteful and for that i do apologize to the contributors of TS, BUT for an example of the past history:

Mr Tomlinson has stated in the past that the developers Crest Nicholson have been given a 'crystal clear' message regarding the development, now there has only been one thing that Mr Tomlinson has apparently delivered on fairly recently and that was the number of houses being developed. If i am correct, Mr Tomlinson has supposedly intervened and limited the amount of houses being developed to 2,000....this in itself is interesting, as in the Core Strategy (last updated July 2009) page 70 : 'SSP2 :Distribution of New Dwellings' it is already outlined by Mr Bluh and Mr Greenhalgh that Tadpole farm is to be 2,000 houses........
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Steve Wakefield

Bob

Yes I know that the Platform is in Central that is why I said you were the local councillor, I also know that the GWH is in South Swindon, it is not me that has any difficulty remembering where such large building are located. Perhaps a new boundary change will place both in the North?

Mellon

I always live in hope and am the glass is nearly full type! The houses in North Swindon, I think the Oakhurst Residents Association has commented on that one in the Link Magazine? Have you read it?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
no, havent got the link magazine
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Drone

Have young people actually been seen in the Platform by TS members? I've never seen it being even half-full when I've gone past.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
I think if Justin Tomlinson can help in anyway to get the £1.4 million back or a big chunk of it, then the liklihood of these cuts to youth services  happening will be greatly reduced?
Quite right that council owned building should be opened for youth use in the evening but I find the article quite remarkable really.

It seems tat Justin and Steve are both suffering from short term memory loss and have forgotten that as Conservative councillors they voted through council budgets that reduced funding and grants for Swindon’s Youth Services and youth service providers, particularly youth workers.

The £1.4 million should be returned by the Condem government but the money cut by the Conservative council from youth budgets should also be reinstated.

Maybe Justin and Steve would now like to apologies to the youth of Swindon for letting them down by supporting the cuts.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
Quite right that council owned building should be opened for youth use in the evening but I find the article quite remarkable really.

It seems tat Justin and Steve are both suffering from short term memory loss and have forgotten that as Conservative councillors they voted through council budgets that reduced funding and grants for Swindon’s Youth Services and youth service providers, particularly youth workers.

The £1.4 million should be returned by the Condem government but the money cut by the Conservative council from youth budgets should also be reinstated.

Maybe Justin and Steve would now like to apologies to the youth of Swindon for letting them down by supporting the cuts.

got any evidence to back that up? (eg . a voting record)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
There have been many Tory budgets since 2004 that have cut funding for youth provision which have included indirect cuts by making new charges for users for using the service which were previously funded by the youth service budgets.

Without trawling through all of them, I see that in 2008/09 budget passed on the 15th Feb 2008 included items like cutting youth workers and increasing youth letting charges.

Both Steve and Justin were recorded as present at the council meeting that passed this and there is no record of either of them asking for their vote against the motion to be recorded.

I also find no other record of either of them condemning the cuts, however if they did I am happy to retract.

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
There have been many Tory budgets since 2004 that have cut funding for youth provision which have included indirect cuts by making new charges for users for using the service which were previously funded by the youth service budgets.

Without trawling through all of them, I see that in 2008/09 budget passed on the 15th Feb 2008 included items like cutting youth workers and increasing youth letting charges.

Both Steve and Justin were recorded as present at the council meeting that passed this and there is no record of either of them asking for their vote against the motion to be recorded.

I also find no other record of either of them condemning the cuts, however if they did I am happy to retract.

what were the lib-dems and labour groups upto at this time? didnt the lib dems praise the glorious budget?

come on wakefield defend yourself.......your big enough and ugly enough now! (maybe not as bad as a certain lib dem, but hey what can yer do)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Bogo

As I am a politician there is absolutley no need for a retraction as I would not dream  of asking members of the public for a retraction on such a matter. People are entitled to their point of view/opinion and fair comment, it's the part of politics called pluralism. I would only hope a fellow  non-unitarist politican would offer to do such a thing. I accept what is lobbed at me by members of the public/press/blogosphere/web/forums etc. To do otherwise is a bit like a Chef complaining that they hate cooking!

The last conservative budget I voted for was in February 2007. This is the one that Cllr Stan Pajack congratulated Cllr Nick Martin on. http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/1197421.print/

I was Mayor elect  in 2008 and Mayor in 2009 I abstained in those years. The budget, in the Feb 10 and Oct 10 I was independent and I believe the votes were recorded, but I did not vote for conservative budgets.

The 2008 Budget now that was an interesting one as the LibDems supported that one, you do not need to take my word only for that, as Swindon Lad posted this elsewhere on the web http://www.vote-2007.co.uk/index.php?topic=1943.msg42361#msg42361

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:48:17 AM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in swindon the lib dems (& 1 ind.) actually supported the conservative budget

mind you 43 of the 59 cllr are conservative it was a foregone solution which was going to win

I wish to point out (as he is a fair bloke and is not on here to defend himself ) that the Ind was not Cllr Andy Harrison, who did not seek re-election in 2007.

Cllr Tomlinson was cock a hoop the Libdems voted with the conservatives, as you know he is a man of many leaflets and  is almost certainly likely to have said on one or something similar, bt would have mentioned Labours 42% tax rise etc:  dated 25/02/08:

I have worked hard all year around to ensure that the Council Tax for 2008/09 will rise inline with inflation of 3.5%.  Our budget was supported by both the Conservative Councillors (who control Swindon Council) and the 3 Lib Dem Councillors.

Will the 3 libDem Councillors and all the others that supported the budget  be asked to apologise along with Justin Tomlinson MP? Well not by me they won't. I am a politican and I know that asking them and Justin Tomlinson MP to apologise is not as fruitful as asking him as one of our MPs to help get our £1.4 million back.

what were the lib-dems and labour groups upto at this time? didnt the lib dems praise the glorious budget?
come on wakefield defend yourself.......your big enough and ugly enough now! (maybe not as bad as a certain lib dem, but hey what can yer do)

Yes LibDem praise you are certainly right on that one and in respect of your other comments can I just say Thank you for your kind sentiments.

Offline Bobby Bingo

Beauty is only skin deep. It is what lies under the skin that counts.
Brains, sincerity, a will to work for good causes and defence of the most vulnerable in our society.
That is all we ask of a councillor but unfortunately they are few and far between.
Forget the snide comments Steve and carry on doing what you know is best for our community.
Bobby

Offline Drone

Justin Tomlison says use all council buildings to provide youth centres
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 06:35:14 AM »
AN MP has called for council-owned buildings to be opened up in evenings to provide youth services.

North Swindon MP Justin Tomlinson said where there is an already paid for building, like community centres and libraries the community could benefit from the facilities being made available when not being used for its core business.

One such building which could remain open in the town is The Platform Centre, in the town centre.

The council-owned youth centre was opened earlier this year and plays host to dozens of community events each month.

Speaking in a Commons debate on youth provisionMr Tomlinson told MPs the move would help engage young people and could stop any potential anti-social behaviour.

He said: “During my 10 years as a councillor before becoming the MP for North Swindon, this was one of the most important issues that came up in the residents’ surveys and in the public meetings that I held.

“Parents generally accepted that their children were well catered for during school hours, but there were often concerns about after-school hours and the weekends.

“I have very many happy memories of going to youth clubs in the 1980s, and I know that youth provision is essential.

“It channels energies, and provides support and opportunities to develop.”

Mr Tomlinson said he understood the financial pressures everyone was under but he said more could be done without huge additional costs.

For example putting shelves in libraries on wheels would allow them to be pushed aside in the evenings for the venue to be used for another purpose.

He said: “It is a great crime that we have many facilities that are open for only 10 hours for their primary function, with the community being locked out for the remainder of the week.

“More should be done also with schools. Our leisure facilities – sports facilities predominantly –should do a lot more with the youth service.

“The Twilight Football schemes target children from challenging circumstances and promote positive engagement, and that makes a big difference. Also, where there is funding to build new facilities, those facilities should be accessible.

“I have seen many facilities that in hindsight were built in the wrong place, and I am delighted that the new £1.2m youth facility in my constituency was built in the town centre, which is easily the most accessible place.”

Children’s Minister Tim Loughton agreed with Mr Tomlinson that existing facilities should be used in a smarter way He told MPs: “We want to use children's centres more out of hours and at weekends for youth activities.

“We should make more use of schools and sports facilities that are lying idle for much of the time.”

derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

Re: Justin Tomlison says use all council buildings to provide youth centres
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 07:42:58 AM »
Drone
Good post no comment?

This thread is here perhaps  they could be combined by admins?

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=6717.msg46761#msg46761

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
I can give comment, and I can see what Justin means.  I've been on the managment committee of many a community facility over 25 years, and every one of those committes have recognised the youth as part of the commmunity they serve and actually wanted to do what they could to keep them off the streets and provide activities.  The committees have worked with SBC youth workers and the workers of the non statutory orgs too.   

But it's not that easy.  At first, it was about numbers - there are Insurance and fire limits to how many you can cram in to one hall at a time.   Over the 25 years there was the behaviour issue, the quality of that dropped considerably and it was a nightmare (and still is because of the history)  to get volunteers to help support the paid workers because of the lack of discipline and little enough of that is required in an out of school club. 

Then came the 'every one must be CRB checked'  of course in the main we all agreed that was a wise thing to do, but volunteers don't always want a 6 week training course and hang a round waiting to be checked, and if they already have been checked for one org, they still ahve to be checked again!.  Volunteers are usually the sort that turn up roll up their sleeves and get on with the job.

Now, the places most likely to be used for youth clubs etc., will be community centres, and if a group of local people are managing that on behalf of the community  under some sort of lease, or these days a 'Tenancy at Will' (because the borough are not handed over leases until they have a Community Asset Transfer Strategy that we can all live with to!!)  That Tenancy at Will has an agreement about whether the Borough or the managment committee repair and replace certain things. 

When the youth are not as well behaved as they might be, or just plain 'the exuberance of youth', accidents happen.  The borough does not have a bottomless pit of repair funds and can be considerably slow at turning up to do said repair (if it's their responsiblity and sometimes even with the agreement its still a negotiation) . If it's the managment committee's? - and here without that proper lease, these groups cannot raise funds from anywhere else to repair or amend a building that they do not have any real legal hold over - funders won't hear of it! Then it's all down to fundraising,  the best way a man. com. can protect itself is not to rent their premises to the groups most likely to damage it.

So if Justin can do something to oil the wheels of better support for groups managing building to enable them to do more with/for youth, good for him. And I look forward to hearing from him with good news. 

Holding in mind that the Community Development Department in SBC has been decimated, and then decimated some more, in the 25 years (and proabably about to get another decimating!) and there is quite frankly, not enough support to go around whats happening now let alone developing more. 

And that goes for anything in Swindon. Nothing is in development mode but hanging on by it's fingernails.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »
All relevent points Muggins.

As for school buildings/facilities, if they become an acadamy they are taken out of LA control. Can't see school staff doing evenings and weekends for youth activities.

Offline Drone

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 05:59:45 PM »
Academies are often PFI buildings, and chances are you can't use them outside normal school hours without incurring huge charges.

While there's some merit to JT's ideas, I'm at a loss over who will actually manage these pop-up youth centres. Or is this another job for the Big society?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 08:54:33 AM »
... especially when you have various charities already working for the benefit of Swindon's youth who have to pay rent to SBC...  :santa_embarassed:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
Regarding youth and schools - after school hours.

Quite lot of youth would prefer NOT to go back to school for their entertainment or out of school support and I think that is generally acknowleded by all who work with youth.   

I was able to sit in a meeting where community people and academy person  were discussing the use of the school building after hours.  I could clearly see that the Academy rep had absolutely no idea what the needs of the community use would be, they just had a nice smart suite of rooms for us to use and a price and use which they decided.  It's just as well that they are expensive, if the usage went to them and not the community centres, the centres would close.  And with them would go all the add on facilites that are not available in a school's extra security setting.

I do wish schools would stick to teaching.......that's what they are there for, all this blurring of edges that confuses them.

And they should not be teaching citizenship, well not alone anyway. they will be producing a generation of litter pickers up, instead of a generation of non litter droppers!  Now that's a rant.