Author Topic: Support honey bee project  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Support honey bee project
« on: October 29, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
 I hope that you are all aware of the incredible work being carried out by Ron Hoskins (Swindon) who has dedicated his life to the honey bee. He achieved some splendid national publicity recently when he showed how he had found honey bees that are able to rid themselves of the dreaded varroa mite that is decimating bees world-wide. Ron found that some bees in his hives were able to clean off the mites and actually destroy the larvae without the aid of chemicals. He has been picking out these particular bees in the hope that it might be an inherent genetic trait that might lead to bees being able to fight the mite alone. So far his results are proving to be successful.

Ron needs to buy more hives and equipment and he launched an appeal for money to help and wrote to hundreds of companies. Apart from a £100 donation from both Intel and Tyco and some small donations from the public, his efforts have proved fruitless. The British Bee Keepers Association has lent him £6,000 but this is a loan rather than a gift.   

I can't think of a more worthwhile project to support and I wish that I could help dear Ron more. Our paths have crossed many times in the last 25 years since I moved to area.

So, instead of wasting money on Christmas presents why not make a donation to the Swindon Honeybee Conservation Group to assist the project? 

You may have seen local publicity a few weeks ago but the following link will take you to a recent Canadian news-feature about the project:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/07/building-a-better-bee/

Donations should be made payable to Swindon Honeybee Conservation Group and sent to 10 Larksfield, Swindon SN3 5AD.

If any organisations can afford a donation of £350, you will get a dedicated plaque attached to one of the new hives that will be added to the apiary at Stanton Park.   

Please help if you can and pass on this information to anyone who might be interested.

Jean

Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Support honey bee project
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
Hello Jean,

I've been a beekeeper for 15 years - although my hives have been out near Devizes. This year (with the OK from the neighbours on either side!) I'm going to test the practicalities of keeping bees in my postage stamp back garden. Unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed, so I'll not be able to make a donation, but please pass Ron my best, and let him know that if there's any help he needs (or if he has a nucleus or swarm going spare come spring!), I'm more than happy to lend a hand and a hive tool.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Jean

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Thanks for that Tobes.

I know that Ron is also looking for beekeepers who will take on a hive under the project - hives would be supplied.

I suspect that the group could also do with some help setting up a web-site.

There's a holding page at  http://honeybee1.org.uk and, I suspect, that this isn't their forte.

Ron can be e-mailed at ron@honeybee1.org.uk

Many thanks

Jean

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I suspect that the group could also do with some help setting up a web-site.

There's a holding page at  http://honeybee1.org.uk and, I suspect, that this isn't their forte.

I've just dropped Ron a line offering to help with this.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Jean

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »
Thanks, Simon.

I need to clarify the position with the British Bee Keepers Association as the organisation is supporting the project.  Ron e-mailed me and said:

I would like to clarify the BBKA £6000.

1. It is to be used against the purchase of equipment that will become the property of BBKA when we have finished with it (that may be never)

2. Receipts of purchases are to be sent to BBKA every 6 months.

3. Any monies not spent are to be returned to their research fund which currently stands at around £100,000.

4. We do not have to repay £6000