Author Topic: Spending Review  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Spending Review
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
Robert Buckland (South Swindon, Conservative)

As a fellow one-nation Conservative, does my right hon. Friend agree that today's announcement has been driven not by some ideological crusade, as the Labour party has suggested, but by a genuine desire to spend more Government revenue on public services and less on servicing Labour's debt?

George Osborne (Chancellor of the Exchequer, HM Treasury; Tatton, Conservative)

My hon. Friend is absolutely right. Of course, we have made choices today. First, we have chosen to seek to reduce debt interest by going faster than the Labour party would have done. I think it is better to spend the money here rather than to give it to our foreign creditors. Secondly, we have chosen to put particular emphasis on trying to reduce the welfare bills. That has enabled us to increase investment in the NHS, schools and early-years provision, which we were discussing earlier. That is true to the values of one-nation conservatism and to the values of this coalition.

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
Re: Spending Review
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
I have to say that that is a particularly obsequious 'question' to ask the Chancellor. Perhaps promotion is in the offing. This is the sort of thing they used to criticise Anne Snelgrove for.

As to 'one nation conservatism', do they know what it is. Perhaps they should be sent on a course based on Ian Gilmour's "Dancing with Dogma": a political and forensic autopsy on Thatcherism and the damage it did to the country.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »
I have to say that that is a particularly obsequious 'question' to ask the Chancellor. Perhaps promotion is in the offing. This is the sort of thing they used to criticise Anne Snelgrove for.

As to 'one nation conservatism', do they know what it is. Perhaps they should be sent on a course based on Ian Gilmour's "Dancing with Dogma": a political and forensic autopsy on Thatcherism and the damage it did to the country.

Interesting article at:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100060309/david-cameron-and-george-osborne-aren%E2%80%99t-speaking-with-the-same-voice/

where they seem to think that Cameron is more of a one-nation Tory, but Osborne is a pure and simple child of Thatcher.

My political viewpoints were very heavily shaped by sharing a house at college with a (then) prominent young Conservative who had very Thatcherite views... I look at Osborne and get the same sinking feeling..

Moley

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
This is the sort of thing they used to criticise Anne Snelgrove for.

Who are they? I will be surprised if you can find anything on the conservative websites in Swindon to evidence this view, I have been looking this past week and they appear to have been "updated".  However I agree Martin pot and kettle come to mind, as I am not sure how you can spend more government revenue on services and pay off the debts at the same time? The  LibDem Tory ONE NATION coalition cannot have it both ways. Or can they? Sounds a bit like what I said before were making cuts to increase choice?

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 01:45:52 AM »
Oh, the views from 'they' that Martin refers to definitely exist although access to them has become harder to gain.

Would members and readers like a couple of examples ? :)

Offline Ringer

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:51:39 AM »
Oh, the views from 'they' that Martin refers to definitely exist although access to them has become harder to gain.

Would members and readers like a couple of examples ? :)

Go on I dare you O0
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print