Author Topic: Closing Swindon Museum and Art Gallery  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
Re: Closing Swindon Museum and Art Gallery
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »

We don't need another concrete and glass box.

Absolutely - there have been several ideas already on here for buildings that can be reused.

Let's hope our gallant Councillors follow the example of the Tate Modern and find a Building that needs a new lease of life.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »

Let's hope our gallant Councillors follow the example of the Tate Modern and find a Building that needs a new lease of life.

It has an ongoing pestilential infestation, but how about Euclid Street?  ;D

Offline Phil Chitty

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure there would be an enormous line of volunteers to undertake the required pest control!!

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 12:49:37 PM »
Here's a potentially bonkers idea that is so daft it might even work - put it in the Brunel Arcade.

Last time I was in there (probably 2+ months ago) it was full of empty shopping units where the likes of Hickmans and Rhapsody used to be many years ago (I struggle to remember what's there now apart from Boswell's coffee shop).  Either take one side of it or a whole floor and convert it, they should be able to do that with the £5million they apparently have. 

Offline Phil Chitty

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
To my way of thinking, we need a building that the Council already owns. If we are to believe the Adver that there is £15 million of capital available, them we don't want to drain the future revenue stream by saddling the Museum/Gallery with rent.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 08:46:29 PM »
Double glaze one of the plethora of car parks, nice white frames with gold coloured handles, maybe with coloured glass features, like a feckin great kingfisher. Be a sort of ironic industrial vibe thing. Might have to do something about the smell of wee though.

Developing the idea further, and borrowing a recent innovative and visionary idea, I think it should be a shared space and retain its previous use as well. I like the idea of cars shuffling between art fans and installations.

I'm wasted here.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »
I'm wasted here.

Hardly.
Wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly what they do  :2funny:
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
http://www.swindonnews.org.uk/have-your-say-on-plans-for-swindons-new-museum-and-art-gallery/
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 09:47:35 PM »
Done it  :thumb:
Proud to be gone

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 05:55:52 PM »
What a surprise SBC didn't get the cash for the new museum and art gallery.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/12959443.Swindon_misses_out_on___12_5_million_lottery_bid_for_new_museum_and_art_gallery/

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
Sadly, no surprise - though it must have been to officers and councillors alike, who seemed to be behaving as though this was a done deal. That made me sceptical from the off.

Perhaps if they want Chavopolis to be viewed in a different way, they are going to have to try and extend their own imaginations a little further regarding what qualifies as culture - ie. beyond a new Nandos and Ask....?

Hows about some active and enthusiastic support for the Mela, rather than obstacles?

What about some kind of civic event to replace the previously highly successful Big Arts Day?

What if we actually saw a little more evidence of our councillors attending and participating in Swindon's arts and culture? (Golf or the respective Labour and Conservative club soirees does not count)

....  :-\
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'