Author Topic: One Swindon  (Read 26616 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: One Swindon
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
http://publicservicetransformation.org/media-zone/news/tags/14-swindon

I have been waiting for my invitation to the One Swindon Conference (and that's all we get now is the 'one').

A few of us have been wondering when that invitation would pop into our inboxes, as the Conference was set a long time ago for this July. We have also wondered if it would happen at all, because the two main officers in the appropriate department have left.

Yesterday the email arrived, but with a postponement 'until the Autumn' but with the info that when it comes it will be about the Governments Public Service Transformation. see above and you do need to click through the pages to get an idea of what its about and what is going on in Swindon.

I see from my post below that its been knocking around  for a year now.

In February of this year it says that the One Swindon Transformation hub will 'go live soon'. Can't find it, but here's another doc to read instead.

https://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/documents/s66300/One%20Swindon%20Public%20Service%20Transformation%20in%20Partnership.pdf

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
From the links posted by Muggins

“For example, we now have Link Workers and Well-being co-ordinators on the ground referring service users to sources of community support.
  Secondly, we are applying systems thinking to a handful of big opportunities, such as integrated frontline working, which is developing our whole workforce's ability to promote independence and resilience in service users.
Thirdly, we are building our shared capacity and capability to transform at pace and scale by jointly investing in a One Swindon Transformation Hub, which goes live in the near future and builds on the success of our team of local public service secondees.”

“cross-organisational transformational business cases”

Yukspeak? = A firm belief that it is better to use a plethora of words made up in a US Business School, than a few simple but accurate English ones.
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
You could play several rounds of 'Buzzword & Bullshit Bingo' with that document.....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline Muggins

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
I suppose that doc is written by a professional to be read by a professional.  I wonder how much of it our councillors understand.. Maybe that's why it will be the subject of the conference - a day of interpretation?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:42 PM »
“cross-organisational transformational business cases”

I don't know about this being written by professionals Muggins.

Both "cross-organisational" and "transformational" are both adjectives used in the USA. To my way of thinking, if the text refers to more than one organisation then it cannot write the business case for another, as each organisation has to write or approve it's own. However, if they are referring to several "departments" within one organisation then that organisation could write and approve all the business cases.

I believe that they are referring to different departments within SBC.

I might write it something like this:

"Business cases for the transformation of several departments."

However even the most careless instigator of the above would shy away from using "transformation" as to try to convince someone that the application of the content of a certain business case would "transform" a department could backfire. This leads me to believe that they are the "cut, pasted and regurgitated" words of a consultant. Why? Because the consultant will not have to explain why the transformation did not work whereas and employee would.

Therefore I would say:

"Business cases for changes in several departments."

Not so dramatic but achievable and it is in English.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
"I don't know about this being written by professionals Muggins"

Whops, beg pardon, of course I meant 'paid workers'. 

And the word transformational may have come from the government documents on it.

Wither they go, they expect us also to go.  think that's from the Bible?

Yes, there does seem to be a few 'out of America' (or Canada) via Ireland consultants about.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2014, 05:23:17 PM »
Here we are 6/7 weeks on and if the Hawthorn berries, yellowing of the leaves, chill in the early morning are anything to go by Autumn is on it's way.

Where is my invitation to the One Swindon Conference?  Do they need me to give them a hand?