Linked Events

• Full Council Meeting: October 07, 2010

Author Topic: 7th October - Full Council  (Read 12060 times)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Re: 7th October - Full Council
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:15 AM »
From Todays Adver

"Councillors told to use back door

8:00am Thursday 7th October 2010

COUNCILLORS have been warned to use the back door to avoid protesters when they arrive at the Civic Offices for a crucial meeting to decide on budget cutbacks tonight."

Anyone got a camera? fancy cllr spottinf I reckon there's only about 2 or 3 other entrances to the bunker

Do they really think Swindonains are that stupid that we don't know they will be going in the back door?

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 09:07:40 AM »
5 entrances

Offline Rochelle

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 09:14:37 AM »
As far as I'm aware the instructions relate to safety issues and car parking rather than avoiding engaging with the public.
I have no intention whatsoever of doing anything other than joining the protest at the front of the Civic and am hoping for a large and vocal turnout. I am most definately not the only Councillor who holds this view. See you there.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 09:15:54 AM »
I fancy that one or two may well fancy the "rear entrance"
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »
If the Tories do not want to face anihilation at the polls next May they will engage with the people of Swindon at this very difficult time.

We are not stupid we know there has to be cuts but how they are achieved is an entirely different matter and one that should be debated not imposed.

I hope the Lead Member for Adult Services will not be at his clinical worst tonight as he axes 58 jobs.   Maybe the allure of being re elected in Walcot may temper his enthusiasm.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
Thought everyone would like to read what is in the adver No 9 in the most read presently!!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8436286.Councillors_told_to_use_back_door/?ref=mr

Concern about protests before tonight's crucial meeting
8:00am Thursday 7th October 2010

Print Email Share Comments(11) By Charley Morgan »

COUNCILLORS have been warned to use the back door to avoid protesters when they arrive at the Civic Offices for a crucial meeting to decide on budget cutbacks tonight.

A memo has been sent to staff to warn them that protesters are planning to stage a demonstration outside the building.

The council says it expects to have to shave £45m off its budget over the next three years.

It is proposing to slash £1.5m from this year’s adult social care budget and £968,000 from the children’s services budget.

In total it is trying to claw back £5.3m from its 2010/11 budget.

Trade union members from the GMB as well as community groups and people who rely on council services are all expected to be part of the protest.

Michelle Gordon, from the GMB union, described the proposals as ‘terrifying’.

She said: “The cuts are being made too quickly and too deep in Swindon.

"Vulnerable people who really need public sector services will be the worst affected. The cuts they are making are disproportionate.”

She pointed out that the council’s grant from central Government was being reduced by £1.4m this year but the total of proposed cuts was £5m.

She said: “£1.5m off the adult social care budget is just massive. These are the people who most need the public sector to support them.

“We have very good quality social care provision in Swindon and we want to hold on to it.

“This is not just about council employees wanting to protect their jobs.

"We are really concerned as Swindon residents about the impact this is going to have on society in the town.”

Coun Derique Montaut, Labour group leader on the council, said: “I think what is so infuriating people is that while the council continues to spend £19,000 on bottled water, £500,000 on its communications’ budget and £32,000 on hospitality, day centres are under threat, purpose-built gyms for disabled users are being closed and buses for the elderly and pensioners are being reduced.

“To them and me, this just does not make sense.”

But leader of the council Coun Rod Bluh rejected the claims and insisted more would be spent on the vulnerable, not less.

“The cuts are all part of what we believe is necessary to get us through not just this year but the coming years,” he said.

“We are going to be spending more on vulnerable people not less, but there are some changes that have to be made.

“We cannot avoid having to find savings from adult social care and children’s services because that’s where most of the money is spent.

“If we ring fenced it there would not be a single library or leisure centre for the rest of the residents in Swindon.”

The leaders of all three main political parties in Swindon have been summoned to the Mayor’s office ahead of the meeting tonight to be warned about their behaviour.

It follows criticism of how the last council meeting was handled, when elderly and disabled people who had come to speak out on cuts had to wait for more than two hours to speak.

They had to sit through muddled proceedings and abusive remarks between councillors.

See tomorrow’s Adver for reports from the meeting.

Print Email Share Comments(11)   

More News stories
Wi-fi expert warns of health dangers
Pacemakers to set time for runners
Meeting to warn over wi-fi risks
Chief exec's salary astounds minister
New film highlights mental health issues
TV apprentice hopeful left it late to sizzle...
Landlord leaps into action to stop fireball
Firefighters face explosive mix
Young inspectors call
Family-run firm lasted a century
Your Say YourSwindonpoliticrat, swindon says...
8:09am Thu 7 Oct 10

Our elected representatives through the back door, that sums up our Democracy I couldn't have put it in better words, Thank you Adver!
security word: time milk
Our elected representatives through the back door, that sums up our Democracy I couldn't have put it in better words, Thank you Adver! security word: time milk
Report this post » ?? Register/Sign In »
cshepherd, Grange Park says...
9:00am Thu 7 Oct 10

So they are going to sneak in the back door to avoid meeting the "great unwashed". So much for listening to what we have to say...
So they are going to sneak in the back door to avoid meeting the "great unwashed". So much for listening to what we have to say...
Robh, Swindon says...
9:16am Thu 7 Oct 10

I'm sure that Coun Derique Montaut will not be happy until we get back to Labours 20% + council tax rises to pay for all this.
I'm sure that Coun Derique Montaut will not be happy until we get back to Labours 20% + council tax rises to pay for all this.
Bogomil, Swindon says...
9:20am Thu 7 Oct 10

"The leaders of all three main political parties in Swindon have been summoned to the Mayor’s office ahead of the meeting tonight to be warned about their behaviour."

Maybe the Mayor also needs warning about HIS behaviour. He is after all supposed to be chairing the meeting. It was he and not the councillors, who last time made the elderly and infirm wait until later in the meeting to have their say. As Mayor and Chair of Council he it was within his right to change the order of the meeting.
"The leaders of all three main political parties in Swindon have been summoned to the Mayor’s office ahead of the meeting tonight to be warned about their behaviour." Maybe the Mayor also needs warning about HIS behaviour. He is after all supposed to be chairing the meeting. It was he and not the councillors, who last time made the elderly and infirm wait until later in the meeting to have their say. As Mayor and Chair of Council he it was within his right to change the order of the meeting.
Jaz B, Swindon says...
9:21am Thu 7 Oct 10

Does any one want to meet our Clowncillors at teh back doors?

This corrupt and hypocritical bunch make me want to spit

I'm not the protesting type but I've going to have my say tonight about this lack of accountability

Rather than winge on this comments page is anyone else going?
Does any one want to meet our Clowncillors at teh back doors? This corrupt and hypocritical bunch make me want to spit I'm not the protesting type but I've going to have my say tonight about this lack of accountability Rather than winge on this comments page is anyone else going?
Tony Hillier, Swindon says...
9:32am Thu 7 Oct 10

Chamber Potties

So Councillor Capers
None tonight we trust
Rather a magnanimous meeting
Than apologies groveling in dust

Tonight is the night
The night to prove
Democracy not dead
‘tis in the Swindon groove

public must get their airing
listened and ‘sponded plightly
lest empty chambers we may see
of volunteers staying home nightly
- some of whom may disagree

see, see, see you Euclid tonight – we’re raring !

Tony Hillier
Swindon’s Community Poet

On National Poetry Day – theme of which is “Home” and a Budget Cuts SBC Council Meeting 7 October 2010 after a previous Council meeting at which Council Leader apologized for its behaviour towards the public gallery
Chamber Potties So Councillor Capers None tonight we trust Rather a magnanimous meeting Than apologies groveling in dust Tonight is the night The night to prove Democracy not dead ‘tis in the Swindon groove public must get their airing listened and ‘sponded plightly lest empty chambers we may see of volunteers staying home nightly - some of whom may disagree see, see, see you Euclid tonight – we’re raring ! Tony Hillier Swindon’s Community Poet On National Poetry Day – theme of which is “Home” and a Budget Cuts SBC Council Meeting 7 October 2010 after a previous Council meeting at which Council Leader apologized for its behaviour towards the public gallery
AndyJH, Swindon says...
9:42am Thu 7 Oct 10

COUNCILLORS HAVE NOT BEEN ASKED OR WARNED TO USE THE BACK DOOR.
The article is misleading. Councillors have been asked to use the normal EXIT to enter the Civic campus and not to park at the front of the building. This is to ensure that there are no mishaps with anyone lobbying at the front of the building. Nothing mentioned about using the back door to enter the civic offices. Below is the actual email sent to all councillors.

"Dear All,

We are expecting a number of people to be lobbying in front of the Civic Building prior to Council on Thursday. For Health and Safety reasons it has been decided that the vehicular entrance to the Civic Campus will be closed from 6:00p.m. on Thursday and that access to the campus will be via the normal exit.
Can you advise your Members that they should access the campus in this way on Thursday (if they are arriving after 6:00p.m.) and that they should park to the side and rear of the building, and not at the front.
Can you also remind Members that they should be particularly careful when accessing the civic as there may be a limited number of cars leaving the campus at this time and there might also be a number of pedestrians milling around.

Thanks for your help

Committee Officer"
COUNCILLORS HAVE NOT BEEN ASKED OR WARNED TO USE THE BACK DOOR. The article is misleading. Councillors have been asked to use the normal EXIT to enter the Civic campus and not to park at the front of the building. This is to ensure that there are no mishaps with anyone lobbying at the front of the building. Nothing mentioned about using the back door to enter the civic offices. Below is the actual email sent to all councillors. "Dear All, We are expecting a number of people to be lobbying in front of the Civic Building prior to Council on Thursday. For Health and Safety reasons it has been decided that the vehicular entrance to the Civic Campus will be closed from 6:00p.m. on Thursday and that access to the campus will be via the normal exit. Can you advise your Members that they should access the campus in this way on Thursday (if they are arriving after 6:00p.m.) and that they should park to the side and rear of the building, and not at the front. Can you also remind Members that they should be particularly careful when accessing the civic as there may be a limited number of cars leaving the campus at this time and there might also be a number of pedestrians milling around. Thanks for your help Committee Officer"
mrsdoubtfire, Swindon says...
10:02am Thu 7 Oct 10

Good old Advert - winding people up with their report.
Good old Advert - winding people up with their report.
politicrat, swindon says...
10:27am Thu 7 Oct 10

AndyJH wrote:
COUNCILLORS HAVE NOT BEEN ASKED OR WARNED TO USE THE BACK DOOR. The article is misleading. Councillors have been asked to use the normal EXIT to enter the Civic campus and not to park at the front of the building. This is to ensure that there are no mishaps with anyone lobbying at the front of the building. Nothing mentioned about using the back door to enter the civic offices. Below is the actual email sent to all councillors. "Dear All, We are expecting a number of people to be lobbying in front of the Civic Building prior to Council on Thursday. For Health and Safety reasons it has been decided that the vehicular entrance to the Civic Campus will be closed from 6:00p.m. on Thursday and that access to the campus will be via the normal exit. Can you advise your Members that they should access the campus in this way on Thursday (if they are arriving after 6:00p.m.) and that they should park to the side and rear of the building, and not at the front. Can you also remind Members that they should be particularly careful when accessing the civic as there may be a limited number of cars leaving the campus at this time and there might also be a number of pedestrians milling around. Thanks for your help Committee Officer"
Swindon voters/taxpayers do not lobby! we do not seek inluence.....we just expect to be heard & REPRESENTED!
It is very significant that our council see its residents as lobbyists, and I shall remind them that the essence of power do not emane from the authorities but from their ELECTORS
If residents are seen as lobbying then there is truly a problem with our council whose power, duty is to SERVE US not doing us favours!
Thank you for this internal letter, it really explain what is plainly wrong with this council and overall political system.
[p][bold]AndyJH[/bold] wrote: COUNCILLORS HAVE NOT BEEN ASKED OR WARNED TO USE THE BACK DOOR. The article is misleading. Councillors have been asked to use the normal EXIT to enter the Civic campus and not to park at the front of the building. This is to ensure that there are no mishaps with anyone lobbying at the front of the building. Nothing mentioned about using the back door to enter the civic offices. Below is the actual email sent to all councillors. "Dear All, We are expecting a number of people to be lobbying in front of the Civic Building prior to Council on Thursday. For Health and Safety reasons it has been decided that the vehicular entrance to the Civic Campus will be closed from 6:00p.m. on Thursday and that access to the campus will be via the normal exit. Can you advise your Members that they should access the campus in this way on Thursday (if they are arriving after 6:00p.m.) and that they should park to the side and rear of the building, and not at the front. Can you also remind Members that they should be particularly careful when accessing the civic as there may be a limited number of cars leaving the campus at this time and there might also be a number of pedestrians milling around. Thanks for your help Committee Officer"[/p]
Swindon voters/taxpayers do not lobby! we do not seek inluence.....we just expect to be heard & REPRESENTED! It is very significant that our council see its residents as lobbyists, and I shall remind them that the essence of power do not emane from the authorities but from their ELECTORS If residents are seen as lobbying then there is truly a problem with our council whose power, duty is to SERVE US not doing us favours! Thank you for this internal letter, it really explain what is plainly wrong with this council and overall political system.
AndyJH, Swindon says...
10:49am Thu 7 Oct 10

Actually politicrat they do.

There has been a well publicised call by the GMB to all interested parties to attend an organised protest prior to the council meeting tonight. I think the term lobbing is a polite way of informing councillors that as there are expected to be a number of people protesting in the front of the Civic and that measures have been taken to ensure the health and safety of those exercising their right to protest in this way.

Quite simply how you can interpret this otherwise shows your lack of understanding of the duty of care that officers of the council are endeavouring to take to ensure that anyone gathering at the front of the Civic is kept as safe as possible.

Quite rightly councillors are there to serve, and not be served. And it is right that they should listen to the concerns and issues raised by their constituents prior to this meeting.
Actually politicrat they do. There has been a well publicised call by the GMB to all interested parties to attend an organised protest prior to the council meeting tonight. I think the term lobbing is a polite way of informing councillors that as there are expected to be a number of people protesting in the front of the Civic and that measures have been taken to ensure the health and safety of those exercising their right to protest in this way. Quite simply how you can interpret this otherwise shows your lack of understanding of the duty of care that officers of the council are endeavouring to take to ensure that anyone gathering at the front of the Civic is kept as safe as possible. Quite rightly councillors are there to serve, and not be served. And it is right that they should listen to the concerns and issues raised by their constituents prior to this meeting.
politicrat, swindon says...
11:15am Thu 7 Oct 10

AndyJH wrote:
Actually politicrat they do. There has been a well publicised call by the GMB to all interested parties to attend an organised protest prior to the council meeting tonight. I think the term lobbing is a polite way of informing councillors that as there are expected to be a number of people protesting in the front of the Civic and that measures have been taken to ensure the health and safety of those exercising their right to protest in this way. Quite simply how you can interpret this otherwise shows your lack of understanding of the duty of care that officers of the council are endeavouring to take to ensure that anyone gathering at the front of the Civic is kept as safe as possible. Quite rightly councillors are there to serve, and not be served. And it is right that they should listen to the concerns and issues raised by their constituents prior to this meeting.
it has nothing to do with "measures been taken to ensure the health and safety of those exercising their right to protest"
But everything to do with elected representatives not having the courage to face the music.
You can use as many euphemisms as you wish, you can try to dispute the intelligence of the Swindon voters, nevertheless we are all aware of the scandalous way decisions are taken and behaviour of our elected representatives, insulting public audience, expenses scandal etc...avoiding public gathering (that is the correct term to be used not lobbying!) on the pretext of H&S issues, it is poor and I am afraid I like many others won't fall for that anymore.
[p][bold]AndyJH[/bold] wrote: Actually politicrat they do. There has been a well publicised call by the GMB to all interested parties to attend an organised protest prior to the council meeting tonight. I think the term lobbing is a polite way of informing councillors that as there are expected to be a number of people protesting in the front of the Civic and that measures have been taken to ensure the health and safety of those exercising their right to protest in this way. Quite simply how you can interpret this otherwise shows your lack of understanding of the duty of care that officers of the council are endeavouring to take to ensure that anyone gathering at the front of the Civic is kept as safe as possible. Quite rightly councillors are there to serve, and not be served. And it is right that they should listen to the concerns and issues raised by their constituents prior to this meeting.[/p]
it has nothing to do with "measures been taken to ensure the health and safety of those exercising their right to protest" But everything to do with elected representatives not having the courage to face the music. You can use as many euphemisms as you wish, you can try to dispute the intelligence of the Swindon voters, nevertheless we are all aware of the scandalous way decisions are taken and behaviour of our elected representatives, insulting public audience, expenses scandal etc...avoiding public gathering (that is the correct term to be used not lobbying!) on the pretext of H&S issues, it is poor and I am afraid I like many others won't fall for that anymore.
Your sayYour Swindon Add your comment

Register for a FREE Swindon Advertiser account and you can have your say on today's news and sport by adding comments on articles we publish. The best comments may even get published in the paper.

Please register now or sign in below to continue.

Your username: 
Your password: 
 Remember my login:

Forgotten your password?
 Coun Derique Montaut, second from right, with protesters before the last full Swindon Council meeting in September

Most ReadMost CommentsFree wi-fi project dogged by delays
Traffic delayed by car accident
Teen admits sex with girl
BREAKING NEWS: Another live Sky date for Town
Piper to call the new tune
Close shave turns Jody into skinhead
Police plea as fears grow for diabetic
Landlord leaps into action to stop fireball
Councillors told to use back door
Honda is driving out of recession
BREAKING NEWS: Ritchie returns on loan (68)
FULL TIME: Dagenham 2 Town 1 (67)
Wilson keen to loan experienced front man (55)
Wilson disappointed by Town's shortcomings (42)
FULL TIME: Town 2 Torquay 0 (35)
'We let ourselves down and let the fans down' (34)
Ritchie hints at chance of permanent switch (34)
Little ones get a trip to the pub (31)
Top earners hit by benefit cuts (28)
Free wi-fi project dogged by delays (21)

Administrator Comment Google Ads Url's removed

Neighbourhood News
Swindon Foggy's
THE Swindon Fibromyalgia Support Group's next informal support meetings are:Tuesday 5th October 1pm – 3pm & Monday 18th October 7.30pm onwards

Swindon Foggy's ~ The Swindon Fibromyalgia Support Group
At meeting #2 on 7th September 2010, we were very pleased to be given a cheque for £102.90. This very kind and much appreciated donation has been donated by Tamarai Indian Restaurant, Highworth.

Stay and play and have a cuppa
Eldene Children's Centre, Colingsmead, Eldene are holding an event called Stay & Play on Thursday, August 14, from 9.15am to 11am.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:26:29 PM by Dougal »
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
The bit that got me laughing most was the postscript "The leaders of all three main political parties have been
summoned to the Mayor's office ahead of the meeting tonight to be warned about their behaviour"

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black ****     :2funny:

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »
I am led to understand that the Mayor during the meeting was emasculated since he had had a prior instruction to enact the conservative group meeting vote....NOT TO BRING FORWARD PUBLIC QUESTIONS...if that is true, and if it is within the standing orders of Council meetings then his hands were tied...short of opening himself up to party political disciplinary measures whatever they may be...

tonight's the night...

no pressure folks, no pressure

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 12:25:07 PM »
GMB ARE YOU READY!!.......COUNCILLORS ARE YOU READY (probably not).....3.....2.....1.......hahaha I'm expecting a standoff like in 300, should be interesting
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
Thats as maybe Poemogram, party whip or not  :bottom:  it doesn't excuse the way he (the Mayor) handled the meeting.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »
The Mayor reported that members of the public were in attendance regarding Agenda Item 11 (Council Petition Scheme), and asked the Council if it is in agreement that the two petitions on (a) Libraries and (b) the No. 23 Bus Service be brought forward on the agenda.  The Council resolved to make no changes to the order of the agenda papers.

The words above are how the Minutes of that meeting record the issue....these words will be agreed as accurate or not at tonight's meeting

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
Last Council meeting's Minutes for Approval tonight (as forwarded to me by Ctte section) - sorry so long - browse only I guess

COUNCIL

THURSDAY, 23 SEPTEMBER 2010

PRESENT:- The Worshipful The Mayor in the Chair; Councillors Andy Albinson, Junab Ali, Steve Allsopp, Paul Baker, John Ballman, Ray Ballman, Mike Bawden, Andrew Bennett, Roderick Bluh, Michael Bray, Mavis Childs, Sinead Darker, Doreen Dart, Mark Dempsey, Michael Dickinson, Melanie Duff, Mark Edwards, Paul Findlow, Raymond Fisher, Fionuala Foley, Brian Ford, Jim Grant, Peter Greenhalgh, Andy Harrison, Peter Heaton-Jones, Dale Heenan, Janet Heenan, Russell Holland, Fay Howard, Richard Hurley, Colin Lovell, Peter Mallinson, Mary Martin, Nick Martin, Brian Mattock, Des Moffatt, Derique Montaut, William Morton, Stan Pajak, Kevin Parry, Anthony Peake, Garry Perkins, David Renard, Rochelle Russell, Eric Shaw, John Short, Kevin Small, Glenn Smith, Peter Stoddart, Vera Tomlinson, Steve Wakefield, Keith Williams, Martin Wiltshire, David Wood, David Wren and Robert Wright.

37.       Mayor's Announcements

The Mayor reported the resignation of Councillor Stephanie Exell and thank her for her service on the Council.  The Council resolved to thank Councillor Stephanie Exell for her service on the Council.

The Mayor reported that he has received a request from the Evening Advertiser for a Photographer to be allowed in the Chamber.  The Council resolved that it was minded to approve this request.

The Mayor reported that members of the public were in attendance regarding Agenda Item 11 (Council Petition Scheme), and asked the Council if it is in agreement that the two petitions on (a) Libraries and (b) the No. 23 Bus Service be brought forward on the agenda.  The Council resolved to make no changes to the order of the agenda papers.

The Mayor reported the receipt of a petition containing 1057 signatures opposing any closure of the Upham Road Day Centre.   He advised the Council that this petition would be forwarded to the Acting Group Director Housing and Social Care as it did not currently have enough signatures for submission to the Council under the Council Petition scheme.  The petition had been reported the Cabinet meeting held on 22nd September 2010.   

The Mayor reported the receipt of a petition containing 1928 signatures supporting the retention of services at One Step Ahead.   He advised the Council that in accordance with the Council’s Petition Scheme the Council would consider this petition on 7th October 2010. The petition had been reported the Cabinet meeting held on 22nd September 2010.   

38.       Apologies for Absence

An apology for absence was received from Councillor Ian Dobie.

39.       Minutes

Resolved – That the minutes of the meeting held on 15th July 2010, be confirmed and signed.

40.       Public Question Time

Mr. Les White submitted written questions regarding car parking on grass verges and written responses were tabled.

Ms. Julie Crooks submitted written questions regarding bus timetable changes that affect getting to and from Blagrove/Windmill Hill and written responses were tabled.

Mr. Richard Simmonds asked a question relating Walcot Library, which the Mayor determined, was inadmissible due to personal elements of the question.

Mr. Chris Watts asked if the Administration was aware that Suffolk County Council had indicated its intention to issue service contracts to the private and voluntary sector, whilst retaining only a small core staff “in house”, and asked if this was an option being considered by Swindon Borough Council?

The Cabinet Member for Finance responded that the Council was currently addressing in-year savings and savings for the Financial Year 2011/12.  There were currently no plans to follow Suffolk’s proposals but the Council did need to look forward in its financial planning and would need to look at all options available.

Ms. Mary Radcliff asked is the Council was aware of the deep concerns and anxiety being felt by many local residents, particularly older and more vunerable people with regard to the future of the library service?  Also was the Council aware of the significant contribution the current library service offers to young children and adults with poor literacy skills?

The Cabinet Member for Leisure and Corporate Services responded that she was aware of the value placed on the library service by Swindon residents.  She also noted the valuable role that volunteers played in providing the service across the Borough which she encouraged all residents to use and fully utilise the range of services available in Swindon libraries.  In noting the concerns of local residents she confirmed that the Budget proposals for the current and next financial year did not include the closure of libraries.

41.       Communications

The Chief Executive reported that communications have been received from (a) Mr. Archie Gall, Director of Reviews for the Local Government Boundary Commission for England, in relation to the Electoral Review of Swindon, setting out the Commission’s conclusion that a Council size of 57 would best meet the Commission’s criteria and that it is minded to recommend this figure; and  (b) Lord Hill of Oareford, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Schools, confirming the issue of an Academy Order and funding arrangement with Goddard Park Community Primary School to convert it into an Academy from 22nd September 2010.

42.       Minutes for Confirmation

(1) Councillor David Renard moved and Councillor Roderick Bluh seconded that Minute 27 of the Cabinet (Adult Learning Plan) be confirmed and adopted.

The Motion was put to the vote and declared carried.

(2) Councillor David Renard moved and Councillor Roderick Bluh seconded that Minute 28 of the Cabinet (Youth Justice Plan 2010/11) be confirmed and adopted.

(3) Councillor Andrew Bennett moved and Councillor Kevin Parry seconded that Minute 12 of the Private Hire and Hackney Carriage Sub-Committee (Review of Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Delegated Authority) be confirmed and adopted.

(Councillor Michael Dickinson made a Personal and Prejudicial Declaration of interest and left the room during the discussion of Minute 42 (1) as he was employed by New College.)

43.       Standing Order 15 Questions

The Director of Law and Democratic Services reported that Standing Order 15 Questions had been received from Councillors Steve Allsopp, Mark Dempsey, Jim Grant, Fay Howard, Des Moffatt and Derique Montaut.

Councillor Mark Dempsey asked the Cabinet Member that, if national funding was not available to prevent the closure of Richard Jefferies Adventure Playground, would the Cabinet Member undertake to work with Ward Councillors and the excellent local volunteers of the Friends of Richard Jefferies Adventure Playground to ensure the facility remained open?

Councillor Keith Williams responded that he was happy to work with Ward Councillors and local volunteers, and there were some funds available for works but cautioned that specialist play equipment was needed and that any work commenced needed to be undertaken to the correct standards.

Councillor Mark Dempsey thanked the Cabinet Member for the assurances in his response to his second question regarding potholes and asked when outstanding repairs would be undertaken?

Councillor Keith Williams noted that BBC Wiltshire had undertaken its own survey and had failed to find potholes.  He reminded Members that damage to roads need to be more than 20mm in depth to be classed as potholes and all potholes identified by officers had been repaired.

Councillor Mark Dempsey asked if the community group SWAP (Swindon Walcot and Parks) could receive a reply to their correspondence on funds allocated for the regeneration of the Parks and East Walcot estates following their letter to the Leader of the Council and invoking a Freedom of Information request on the 29th April 2010.

Councillor Roderick Bluh replied that he had responded to a letter in January 2010, but that he was not aware of any correspondence received in April regarding this matter. He undertook to investigate this issue following the meeting.

Councillor Fay Howard asked how much longer bus routes supported by Section 106 monies would continue to receive this support?

Councillor Peter Greenhalgh undertook to provide Councillor Howard with a written response setting out this information.

Councillor Fay Howard noted the Cabinet Member’s response on the cost to the Council of providing bottled water and asked why tap water could not be provided instead of bottled water?

Councillor Mark Edwards indicated that the issue was one of practicalities.  He understood the issue raised by Councillor Howard but noted that, for example, where the public attend meetings at the Civic Offices they would not necessarily have ready access to a source of drinking water due o the security arrangements in the building.

Councillor Des Moffatt asked if the Cabinet Member Decision Note on the Outsourcing of Wick and Langton House had been signed off prior to circulation?

Councillor Peter Mallinson replied that he was aware that there had been confusion regarding dates relating to the Decision Note and he believed that initially Cabinet Members thought that the correct procedure had been followed.  If this was not the case he apologised and he indicated a new decision note would be in circulation for Members to “sign off” shortly.

Councillor Des Moffatt asked the Leader of the Council if he agreed that the Council’s first priority was for the town’s regeneration and economic success for Swindon.

Councillor Roderick Bluh agreed with the question.

44.       Motion - Attachment Training

This Motion was withdrawn in accordance with Standing Order 8(3).

45.       Motion - Elected Police Commissioners

Councillor Derique Montaut moved and Councillor Kevin Small seconded:

“This Council notes the Coalition Government’s Policing in the 21st century: reconnecting police and the people consultation paper.

This Council instructs:

The Leader of the Council to write to the Secretary of State for Justice, calling on him to reconsider the Coalition Government’s current proposals for there to be an elected police commissioner for each police authority in England and Wales.

The leaders of the Council’s two opposition groups be invited to be co-signatories to this letter, reflecting the bipartisan opposition to the Secretary of State’s proposals.”

Councillor Roderick Bluh moved and Councillor Garry Perkins seconded that the Motion be amended to read:

“This Council notes the Coalition Government’s Policing in the 21st century: reconnecting police and the people consultation paper.

This Council asks the Cabinet Member for Policy and Performance to work with the two Swindon Members of Parliament to seek the views of Councillors, the Borough’s residents, business and partner organisations about the possible introduction of directly elected police commissioners.”

The amendment was put to the vote and declared carried.

The Substantive Motion was put to the vote and declared carried.

(Councillor Jim Grant made a Personal and Prejudicial Declaration of Interest as he was employed as a civilian worker by Wiltshire Constabulary and left the room during the discussion of this item.)

(Councillors Roderick Bluh, Ray Fisher and Brian Ford made Non-Prejudicial Declarations of Interest in respect of this item as they were Swindon Borough Council representatives on Wiltshire Police Authority.)

46.       Motion - Swindon Regeneration

Councillor Mark Dempsey moved and Councillor Jim Grant seconded:

“This Council notes:

i.  That Swindon Town Centre is in urgent need of regeneration.

ii.  That over the last six years key plans for the regeneration of the Town Centre have failed to be delivered.

iii.  The amenity of Swindon Town Centre is damaged by wasteland, derelict buildings, and buildings of a low architectural value.

iv. That historical buildings, including the Mechanics Institute and the  Locarno, are in desperate need of restoration.

v. That a Council subsidy of Town Centre car parking, projected to cost the Council £500,000, has so far not delivered an increase in town centre trade.

This Council resolves to ask the Cabinet to consider:

i.  Establishing, in partnership with Forward Swindon, the public and key stakeholders a clear plan for the regeneration of Swindon Town Centre to deliver a Town Centre that is attractive for shopping, leisure and culture.

ii. Ensuring that such a plan will deliver a Town Centre, which reflects the railway history of Swindon, which provides public open spaces and which provides greater access and linkages between the Town Centre, the Outlet Village and Old Town.

iii.  Ensuring that such a plan will integrate the Mechanics Institute and the Locarno.

iv. Ensuring that such a plan will establish a framework for land use in the Town Centre and achieve a high architectural standard, in order to provide prospective developers with clear guidance and certainty to invest.”

Councillor Stan Pajak moved and Councillor Garry Perkins seconded:

“This Council notes:

i.  That Swindon Town Centre has been in urgent need of regeneration for the past 25 years.

ii.  Even with the efforts by all groups within the Council to promote Town Centre regeneration there has been regeneration, but not at the pace we would have liked.

iii.  That this is partly due to the economic downturn and the financial constraints of developers.

iv.  The regent Circus development will provide a gateway to the Town Centre.

v.  That historical buildings, including the Mechanics Institute and the Lacarno, are in desperate need of restoration but it is noted that these are not in the ownership of Swindon Borough Council.

This Council resolves to ask the Cabinet to:

i.   Continue efforts in partnership with Forward Swindon, the public and key stakeholders to develop the Town Centre so it is attractive for shopping, leisure and culture.

ii.   Develop the current plan to reflect the history of Swindon – including encouraging developers to reflect Swindon’s heritage – provide public open spaces and provide good access and linkage between the Town Centre, the Outlet Village and Old Town.  The plan should include integration of the iconic Swindon structures. Promote the Swindon Borough Council development framework for land use, which promotes high architectural standards and gives prospective developers clear guidance.”

The amendment was put to the vote and declared carried.

The Substantive Motion was put to the vote and declared carried.

47.       Motion - Councillor Allowances

Councillor Peter Mallinson moved and Councillor Richard Hurley seconded:

“This Council requests that the Independent Remuneration Panel be invited to examine a proposal to introduce a five percent reduction in Councillors’
allowances and to report back to Council as soon as practicable.”

With the agreement of the Council the motion was amended to read:

“This Council requests that the Independent Remuneration Panel be invited to review the current level of Councillors’ Allowances in light of the current economic situation.”

48.       Council Petition Scheme

The Council considered a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services setting out the receipt of two petitions received in accordance with the Council’s Petition Scheme relating to (i) Save Swindon’s Community Libraries, and (ii) The Withdrawal of the Service 23 Bus as from 24th July 2010.

(1) The Council received the comments of Ms. Shirley Burnham (Lead Petitioner) introducing the Petition relating to the campaign to Save Swindon’s Libraries and debated the way in which the Council could most appropriately respond to the concerns raised.

Councillor Fionuala Foley moved and Councillor Roderick Bluh seconded that:

“This Council resolves to:

Thank the petitioners for submitting the petition.

Pass the petition to the Director of Housing and Leisure so that the petitioners’ comments can be taken into account in the draft Libraries Strategy that is presently being drafted.”

(2) The Council received the comments of Ms. Cindy Matthews (Lead Petitioner) introducing the Petition relating to the withdrawal of the Service 23 Bus Service as from 24th July 2010, and debated the way in which the Council could most appropriately respond to the concerns raised.

Councillor Fionuala Foley moved and Councillor Roderick Bluh seconded that:

“This Council resolves to:

Thank the petitioners for submitting the petition.

Note that the current financial circumstances and the huge public debt burden left by the previous Government means that the Council has very little money to subsidise bus routes.

Pass the petition to the Managing Director of Thamesdown Transport, and invite him to consider whether the issue can be addressed through the Company’s operations and request that he communicates the Company’s views directly to the petition organiser as well as back to the Council.”

(Councillors Colin Lovell and Keith Williams made Personal Declarations of Interest, as they were Non-Executive Directors of Thamesdown Transport Ltd. and left the room during the discussion of this item.)

(Councillor Peter Greenhalgh made a Personal Declaration of Interest, as he was a Non-Executive Director of Thamesdown Transport Ltd. Councillor Greenhalgh had received a Dispensation from the Secretary of State and participated in the discussion of this item.)

49.       Special Committee

The Council considered (a) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services setting out a report on the meeting of the Special Committee held on 27th July 2010, and (b) questions to the Committee Members regarding the work of the Committee and answers received.

50.       Cabinet

The Council considered (a) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services setting out a report of the meeting of the Cabinet held on 21st July 2010, (b) questions to the Cabinet Members regarding their portfolio responsibilities, as set out within the report, and answers received, and (c) decisions taken by Cabinet Members relating to delegated decisions taken under their portfolio responsibilities. 

51.       Standards Committee

The Council considered (a) the Council's Standards Committee’s Annual Report for 2009/10, as approved by the Standards Committee on 27th July 2010, (b) an oral report on the work of the Standards Committee during the previous year, and on its current and future work programme from its Vice-Chair, Mr. Trevor Davis, and (c) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services on the meeting of the Standards Committee held on 27th July 2010.

Councillor Roderick Bluh moved and Councillor Derique Montaut seconded and the Council agreed:

(i) That the Annual Report of the Standards Committee for the Year 2009/10 be received; and

(ii) That the Standards Committee be thanked for its valuable work during the previous 12 months.

52.       Overview and Scrutiny Committees

The Council considered (a) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services on the work of the Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Committees held between 29th June and 3rd September 2010, and (b) questions to the Committee Chairs regarding the work of their Committee, and answers received.

53.       Planning Committee

The Council considered (a) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services setting out a report on the meetings of the Planning Committee held on 13th July and 10th August 2010, and Planning Statistics for June to August 2010, and (b) questions to the Committee Chair regarding the work of the Committee and answers received.

54.       Regulatory Committees

The Council considered (a) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services on the work of the Council’s Regulatory Committees held between 29th June and 3rd September 2010, and (b) questions to the Committee Chairs regarding the work of their Committee, and answers received.

55.       Children Services Bodies

The Council considered (a) a report of the Director of Law and Democratic Services on the work of the Council’s Children’s Services Bodies held between 1st July and 3rd September 2010, and (b) questions to the Committee Chairs regarding the work of their Committee and answers received.

56.       Minutes of the Police and Fire Authorities

The Council received the minutes of the meetings of the Wiltshire Police Authority held on 30th April 2010. There were no minutes of the Wiltshire and Swindon Fire Authority to report.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
I am led to understand that the Mayor during the meeting was emasculated since he had had a prior instruction to enact the conservative group meeting vote....NOT TO BRING FORWARD PUBLIC QUESTIONS...if that is true, and if it is within the standing orders of Council meetings then his hands were tied...short of opening himself up to party political disciplinary measures whatever they may be...

tonight's the night...

no pressure folks, no pressure

No Poemogram the pressure is on the Mayor after his lamentable performance at last Council.  If he dishonours the position of his Worshipful the Mayor by favoring his own Conservative Group there will be consequences.  The people have had enough!!  The Mayor has to prove tonight he is utterly impartial nothing less will be fit for purpose.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55:49 PM »
Interesting to read the minutes to see that my question in relation to a phone bill in with address of Walcot Library was ruled as being personal.

Still waiting for my money and this is going to be dredged up until I get it Councillor Mallinson.  And geting the Secretary to invite me to a meeting with you in the Library just involves me in additional and unwarranted expense.  I have no desire or requirement to meet with you all I want you to do is the honourable thing and settle an account still in my name twelve months after I had left and for which you are duty bound to settle as Chairman of the Walcot Community Shop.

Offline Richard Symonds

Rod Bluh says Pickles is Unhelpful
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »
Rod says his chum Pickles is unhelphful who to?

Rod and Councilllor Mallinson.

I think that Mr Pickles is being very helpful to the people of this Borough with these comments. 

Putting Rod in a Pickle is not a bad days work.

Thanks Eric.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8436368.Chief_exec_s_salary_astounds_minister/?ref=mr

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
Interesting to read the minutes to see that my question in relation to a phone bill in with address of Walcot Library was ruled as being personal.

Still waiting for my money and this is going to be dredged up until I get it Councillor Mallinson.  And geting the Secretary to invite me to a meeting with you in the Library just involves me in additional and unwarranted expense.  I have no desire or requirement to meet with you all I want you to do is the honourable thing and settle an account still in my name twelve months after I had left and for which you are duty bound to settle as Chairman of the Walcot Community Shop.

I've been told that Geoff Reid has put his money where his mouth is and started a whip round to get your money back.  Is this true Richard?

I think it's disgraceful that Richard has been forced into personally paying the phone bill for the Walcot Community Shop

Clowncillor Mallins says:

Quote from: Cllr Peter Mallinson
"It was always our intention [after the refurbishment] to open the shop on a Saturday but it has been difficult to recruit the extra staff that are needed."

Its not hard to work out why.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
What about the "Small Claims Court" Richard? That'll take the smile off of Cllr Mallinson's face.
What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 11:47:32 PM »
What about the "Small Claims Court" Richard? That'll take the smile off of Cllr Mallinson's face.

That is just one of the options open to me.  Whether I use this one others or all of them I have yet to decide, but come what may I will get satisfaction on this issue, it is just a matter of when, in the meantime.................

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »

I've been told that Geoff Reid has put his money where his mouth is and started a whip round to get your money back.  Is this true Richard?

I think it's disgraceful that Richard has been forced into personally paying the phone bill for the Walcot Community Shop

Clowncillor Mallins says:

Quote from: Cllr Peter Mallinson
"It was always our intention [after the refurbishment] to open the shop on a Saturday but it has been difficult to recruit the extra staff that are needed."

Its not hard to work out why.

I did not know there was going to be a whip round but am very grateful to all the people who have offered me support on this issue.

I just cannot believe why this has gone on so long and if the position was reversed would bust a gut to apologise and to put it right.  But then I am not Peter Mallisnon am I?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 07:55:25 AM »
There was me, getting up early to see what you all felt about the meeting last night and .............nothing.

I take it the demo was a damp squib and the meeting was orderly?

I did hear the Councillors were all in an hour before demonstrators arrived.

And there was fair presence of Police and Security Guards. (Are we paying for those?)
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)