Linked Events

• Full Council Meeting: October 07, 2010

Author Topic: 7th October - Full Council  (Read 11647 times)

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Re: 7th October - Full Council
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:28 PM »
I am sure there would be a cost associated, risk v reward and all that. Technology is in place though.
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »

Paragon, for example, demands maximum legal speeds at all times, regardless of weather or traffic conditions...

it only does this IF it has not been set up correctly. Speed limits can be varied, including time variations for rush hour traffic or delays for known roadworks.

in fact, IF it is set up correctly, which can be combined with a vehicle tracking system, it can automatically re-plan routes based on the historical data.

Like the council, the Paragon system is often poorly managed and used without any though or skill in updating routing information.

I’ve said it before and I have no doubt I’ll say it again. It’s not the fault of the system but the people who don’t know how to properly use the flaming system.

Whether its set up 'correctly' is subjective though, isn't it?     Personally I think the route leg plan illustrated below is absolutely deliberate.  I know who compiled it  ;)

This is just one 64.5 mile section leg of last nights work:

Journey leg: 64.5 miles

Comprising: 6.5 miles 'A' Road and 58 miles of motorway

Time scheduled by Paragon: 75 minutes (1hr 15mins)

I already know the various math permutations, but I don't want to deprive anyone of some Sunday evening maths fun, so....

The legal speed limit for HGV vehicles on 'A' roads is 40mph

The HGV vehicle I was driving last night was limited to 54mph

Context: The journey is comprised as follows:

• 5 miles on 'A' road with two traffic light controlled junctions and one motorway access roundabout

• 58 miles of motorway driving with one major motorway intersection (M4/M5)

• 1.5 miles of 'A' Roads comprising one motorway exit ramp, 3 roundabouts and one 't' junction.

Can this journey be completed legally, in the above vehicle, in 1 hour and 15 minutes ?

If it can be done legally in 1 hour and 15 minutes, is it possible/safe to do so in all weather & traffic conditions?

We'll probably split these posts into a new thread  :)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
Yes, if you accelerate instantly to 54mph and maintain it for the duration of the journey you will arrive with 3 minutes in hand for a wee.

I'd say 1hr 40 minutes is more like it. That's me fag packet and a vague memory that an LGV will average 40mph on an average night run.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
Full council starts at 7pm

Guaranteed to be an *interesting* meeting

Try and arrive at 6.15 pm to chat with other members of the public and get a sense of what's going on :)

a protest convenor will be there from 5.30

Euclid Reception showed me that Agenda papers are on SBC website about 5pm today....now home at 6.30 and it doesn't seem to work...worth trying later or tomorrow...

c up or conspiracy ?

Offline Drone

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »
There's quite a lot here: too much to digest in one sitting...

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/Published/C00000284/M00004732/AI00022693/StrategicApproachtotheBudgetAppendix2DetailedBudgetProposalsbyGroup.pdf
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 11:33:29 PM »
There's quite a lot here: too much to digest in one sitting...

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/Published/C00000284/M00004732/AI00022693/StrategicApproachtotheBudgetAppendix2DetailedBudgetProposalsbyGroup.pdf

Even if you ingest it in small, bitesized chunks, it will still make you sick by 21.30hrs on Thursday....

Offline Drone

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Some big and little changes leap out (but still no mention of the £45 mill of cuts expected over the next few years). Looks like our new director of HR (HP) is pushing more business CAPITA's way...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 08:05:20 AM »

Euclid Reception showed me that Agenda papers are on SBC website about 5pm today....now home at 6.30 and it doesn't seem to work...worth trying later or tomorrow...

c up or conspiracy ?

[/quote]

8 a.m Tuesday...my computer still shows 'error on page' for the main route to SBC council papers and agendas...(the 2 links others shown above work) but I think that's not the full papers and agenda..

I ask again ...

c up or conspiracy ?[/color]

I understand that it costs 12 pounds if you go to Euclid and request a copy prior to getting your free, poll tax paid for, copy at the meeting itself...(not enuff time to absorb contents then of course)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »
I've had a read and it's all very cold blooded. 

If I were a councillor I would want at least a day's meeting on this - with directors of departments telling me why, with back ground anecdotes, and in some cases I would want to speak to the actual people doing the jobs.  Sorry but it wouldn't be enough for more me to just read this and stick my hand up in agreement.

A feel as though every issue should have several other papers to suport or otherwise the cuts or shuffling around suggested.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

ph1lc

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 05:03:08 PM »
Some big and little changes leap out (but still no mention of the £45 mill of cuts expected over the next few years). Looks like our new director of HR (HP) is pushing more business CAPITA's way...

Most interesting change I can find to the budget is the £1.5 million provision for redundancy costs.

Offline Drone

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »
and the deletion of 237 posts...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »
and the deletion of 237 posts...

Can you identify these by area for us please Drone?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Drone

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
Yup. According to the doc, it breaks down by directorate as:

Childrens Services - 82
Adult Social Care - 58
Housing, Leisure, Libraries and Culture - 28
Environment, Regeneration and Community - 50
Business Transformation - 19
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »
So Councillor Peter Mallinson will eradicate 58 jobs and Councillor Garry Perkins will erdicate 82 jobs.

I wonder how they are going to achieve that without affecting the most vulnerable in the Borough?

Councillor Mallinson improves his chances of re election as every minute passes as there are a lot of Vulnerable and Infirm in Walcot as undoubtedly he is aware.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.aspx?MId=4732&x=1
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »
SBC Website seemed down but isn't

seems a gremlin on my mac as it won't dial up the agenda papers directly..

can do on others' computers..

relax..!

Offline Drone

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 06:21:21 AM »
The background docs are quite interesting. There are some odd mentions of WIFI on pages 24 and 25 that suggests that the process was subject to lots of scrutiny, but that we can learn from the scrutiny with future projects.

Bloody hell - the appendix on page 29: the council or delegated power can spend, loan or get rid of stuff worth up to £100,000 without it even making the council's minutes. As long as Stephen Taylor says it's ok.

Also, shame Shirley B has gone. Looks like Libraries have to svae £100,000 this financial year and will be restructuring next year...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »

The GMB have organised a demonstartion and are asking for support, especially users of services likely to be cut by Rod Bluh and his Bluhligans.

Be there to demonstrate your concerns at proposed cuts to Council Service

Assemble at Civic Offices, Euclid Street - 6.15pm for demonstration

Council meeting starts at 7pm

[/quote]

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »
SBC Website seemed down but isn't

seems a gremlin on my mac as it won't dial up the agenda papers directly..

can do on others' computers..

relax..!

Stick fusion or parallels desktop on it , then put windows XP/i7/Vista  on it and you should be able to access anything. I did that with mine in the end.
as long as you have got a big enough HD you will be laughing : )
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 12:52:10 AM »
Chamber Potties

So Councillor Capers
None tonight we trust
Rather a magnanimous meeting
Than apologies groveling in dust

Tonight is the night
The night to prove
Democracy not dead
‘tis in the Swindon groove

public must get their airing
listened and ‘sponded plightly
lest empty chambers we may see
of volunteers staying home nightly
- some of whom may disagree

see, see, see you Euclid tonight – we’re raring !

Tony Hillier
Swindon’s Community Poet

On National Poetry Day – theme of which is “Home” and a Budget Cuts SBC Council Meeting 7 October 2010 after a previous Council meeting at which Council Leader apologized for its behaviour towards the public gallery