Author Topic: Ready, Steady. Oh, hang on a minute  (Read 493 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Ready, Steady. Oh, hang on a minute
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
This nearly slipped by unremarked. In fact the whole subject has been chugging along under the radar. I hope we don't do a Delhi, but you do suppose the rest of the world breathed a colective, if somewhat retrospective, sigh of relief they didn't win. I liken it to having the King and his household rocking up for a stay of indeterminate length in days of yore. An honour, but one that could bankrupt you, or make your head fall off. It could also set you up for life if handled correctly.

The boss of the Olympic Delivery Authority, the body responsible for building the giant Olympic Park in east London for the 2012 Games, has resigned.

The Olympic Stadium at Stratford: The project is said to be on time and on budget

David Higgins will leave next February to take up a new post as Chief Executive of Network Rail.

He will be succeeded by Dennis Hone, the ODA's Director of Finance for the past four years.

The move comes after the body was ordered to make cuts of £27m this year by the Government.

ODA Chairman John Armitt said: "David has done an inspirational job over the last five years.

"We have been tasked with delivering the biggest construction project in Europe on a highly contaminated site to the ultimate fixed deadline.

The media centre is the main commercial venue at the Olympic Park

"David set up the ODA from scratch and leaves it with the project on time, within budget and on the verge of completing the first major venues on the Olympic Park.

"He has done all this at the same time as helping achieve a first class safety record and driving forward innovation in terms of sustainable construction."

Sebastian Coe, Chair of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games, said: 'We could not have wanted for a better partner.

"A large part of the confidence the British public and the IOC has in this project is due to the great progress David and his team have made on the Olympic Park.

"David's wealth of experience and his leadership puts us in an excellent position to ensure the athletes of the world have the best possible environment to compete in 2012."

Apparently he has gone to Network Rail.

!!!

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.