Author Topic: Moredon A Bye Election To Inject New Dynamism & Enthusiam into Council?  (Read 30931 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

This is a bit from my blog:

You could not make it up could you? The prospective Conservative Candidate for Moredon Ward has to quote from his facebook:

"A by-election is due to take place in the Moredon ward of Swindon. I am standing as the Conservative Party candidate.
I've lived in the area for more than 22 years and believe I can inject a new sense of dynamism and enthusiasm into the council.

Privacy type: "
                                              Open: All content is public.

I actually find myself not disagreeing  with him he is clearly correct when he says  the Conservative council in Swindon needs new dynamism and enthusiasm, as it is now mired in the LibDem Tory coalition spiral of laying waste to services for the most vulnerable in Swindon. However I do believe that if this candidate is elected he will be out of step with, or by declaring this; is out of step with the conservative administration and from experience will soon have his injection blunted!

Steph Exell the former cllr whose resignation from the Conservatives has created a Bye Election was a very dynamic and enthusiastic conservative councillor that was friendly flexible and helpful. She resigned it is claimed in the Swindon Advertiser over being asked to withdraw a motion from council and because she believed that the cuts to vulnerable people should be the last option!

contd.....:

http://tqrccy.cowurl.com

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Moredon A Bye Election will Libdems fight hard?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
It will be interesting to see how hard the LibDems will campaign in the Moredon Bye election, especially as their combined vote with the conservatives could keep other parties/candidates out of the equation? :wakeup: Its a coalition!!!
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Moredon A Bye Election Will Cllr Montaut as a resident campaigh hard?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
I feel confident that  cllr Montaut will be out pounding the streets campaigning 24/7 in the ward he is a resident in, as I am sure he would  want a change from all conservative cllrs to 1 Labour there? There is a danger  possibility that the result could also be used seen by some as a test of his leadership of the Labour group on the council. I am sure he will turn any such speculation into an opportunity to his own advantage?  :wakeup: Its a coalition!!!

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: Moredon A Bye Election To Inject New Dynamism & Enthusiam into Council?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:19 AM »
Steph was wrong to resign. She should have walked across and joined you Steve. What a thorn in the flesh you would have been to this arrogant and ignorant team of idiots this administration is now composed of.
By staying on the council Steph would have had a voice, now she will soon be forgotten and can only join the sad bastards that constantly gripe in the Swindon Advertiser, a publication only a few idiots like me buy!!
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 10:47:08 AM »
I agree with Bobby Steph should have stayed on a an Independent because I now believe that the people of Swindon are now totally fed up with 'party politics'.  We want our politicians to stop bickering at best and bully at worst and sort out our not inconsiderable problems.

Is it possible she was persuaded to step aside as the Tories feel they are now unaccountable and untouchable?  Was poor old Steph up for the chop anyway?  Interesting how they have a candidate immediately available!   

People tell me that it was Steph who did the ward work so this is a double opportunity for Labour to take two seats, one now and one in May 2011.  I only hope they do not dig up any old fossils and lose again.  We need new blood and and some considered opposition in this town and now.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
Compared with the regular posters on here, I observe local politicking very much from a distance -- but have a keen interest none-the-less.
I would just like to add that I'm very sad to see Steph step down. I have sought here assistance twice over the last couple years and in each case she was fantastic in getting things done and keeping everyone informed of progress. IMHO exactly what you need from a very good ward councillor. When the councillors' expenses details were released I was also impressed to see that she played with a very straight bat.

If you read this Steph then I for one say many thanks and wish you the best of luck.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »
1. Steph was wrong to resign. She should have walked across and joined you Steve. What a thorn in the flesh you would have been to this arrogant and ignorant team of idiots this administration is now composed of.

2. By staying on the council Steph would have had a voice, now she will soon be forgotten and can only join the sad bastards that constantly gripe in the Swindon Advertiser, a publication only a few idiots like me buy!!

Right on point 1.

Partially wrong on point 2.  I think.  SHe would have had a considerable voice as an independant on council - I can't ever see her joining the Advers muppet show.

Anyone that articulates and demonstrates their principles this clearly is unlikely to go quietly into the night.

By the middle of next week I hope to be able to cast a considerable amount of Lamp-light onto this  ;)

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:35:29 PM »
I am a little confused with Toby Elliott. He states that:

"I've lived in the area for more than 22 years and believe I can inject a new sense of dynamism and enthusiasm into the council."

But his Facebook page has him down as Bristol under Admins.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149798758390355

I suppose it is the definition of area??? Or is it a Facebook thing? (I am not a Facebook user)

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 08:58:30 PM »
I'm not a techie but I think it is a facebook thing.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Fair enough
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »
There was a campaign a couple of years ago on Facebook to create a Facebook group for Swindon but it got nowhere...

Bristol is the closest city which has a group to Swindon so loads of people who live here are members of the Bristol group (best place to meet comparatively local people and have any discussions).

Moley

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
If Facebook doesn't regard Swindon as important why should anyone else?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
Being an American-based site I think they simply use a list of cities to set up their network list - not based on population.  (In dealing with other countries, this may be a disadvantage of Swindon not having city status - people in other countries assume this makes the town irrelevant).

Moley

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
If Facebook doesn't regard Swindon as important why should anyone else?

Dickie, you do talk some crap sometimes.... Facebook, a worldwide social internet site, couldn't possibly list all the towns in the world.

For information, Facebook get users to sign up to a loclity location so that when they then search for the names of friends, it will 1st search their friends list and then those with names nearest to their locality. Given the high number of users its sensible and has nothing to do with Facebook not regarding Swindon as important.

Trying typing your name into the facebook name search give 84 possible matches. (though I’m sure there are many more out there who aren’t facebook members)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »

Saucer of milk to table Bogomil  ;D

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »
I am hearing that a considerable force is or has joined/is assisting/is supporting Labour in the election in Moredon, something to do with settling up? Not sure what it all means, but no doubt we will find out at at some point.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »
If Toby Elliot is a Bristolian surely he would have said, "I have lived in the areal for 22 years...."

Just a thought. ::)
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »
I am hearing that a considerable force is or has joined/is assisting/is supporting Labour in the election in Moredon, something to do with settling up? Not sure what it all means, but no doubt we will find out at at some point.

Michael Wills or Victor Argawal throwing their weight behind the Moredon Labour Campaign?

Whatever it means Labour will need to keep Cllr Montaut well away from it for it to be successful and they'll also need to keep Monty in the dark lest he tell his Conservative mate, Councillor Mallinson, all about it.

'Monty Must Go' if the Labour group is to become an effective and credible party of opposition in Swindon.  Until he does go he will continue to be their albatross.

Offline Drone

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »

David Milliband's free at the moment, although he might bottle it at the last moment...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 07:55:30 AM »
Moredon is a natural Labour Ward so if they don't take it they cease to be a credible opposition on any level unless and until they radically re organise.

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
where is this place. haven't heard a peep

Offline chrisp

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:52 PM »
i heard both of them live near london so why bring them up? :spin:

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Toby's Nightmare as he attempts New Dynamism & Enthusiam into Council?
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 11:38:55 AM »
Would this be Toby's worst nightmare and the  Libdem silver dream glitter in their hands whoop whoop result? However if it is; it will it still be a   :wakeup: its a coalition for the people of Swindon? http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/news/Lib-Dem-s-Chris-Coleman-wins-Cheltenham-Borough-Council-seat-Springbank/article-2815096-detail/article.html

Anyway Cheltenham's Springbank ward is a long way from Moredon's borders :coffee:

NB LibDems were down 1% Tories were down 16% but Labour were up 13%

Offline Whipling

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08:32 PM »
I used to do some work up there in Cheltenham, and the town pretty much tends to be in it's own climate there. Springbank's population makes it pretty much a LD safe seat. The Tories discounted it in their general election plans when they had decent money floating around--so what's to say they didn't this time too? Whilst Labour is counted as credible or powerful as the Greens, so its interesting to see their rise.

I think if we can read anything from that, it's that our chief non-government parties i.e. Labour, Independents, might be in for a big bump in Moredon?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
David Milliband's free at the moment

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/david_miliband/south_shields#expenses

Oh I think not.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 09:35:35 AM »
I used to do some work up there in Cheltenham, and the town pretty much tends to be in it's own climate there. Springbank's population makes it pretty much a LD safe seat. The Tories discounted it in their general election plans when they had decent money floating around--so what's to say they didn't this time too? Whilst Labour is counted as credible or powerful as the Greens, so its interesting to see their rise.

I think if we can read anything from that, it's that our chief non-government parties i.e. Labour, Independents, might be in for a big bump in Moredon?

Whippy
Cheltenham was tory once just like Moredon, which has been both labour and tory during this century. A libdem to join the conservative councillors in the same division? A thought to savour, but you never know the larger group of libdem councillors being driven by their recently found impetus may yet do something incredible in Moredon?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Whipling

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 11:44:57 PM »

Whippy
Cheltenham was tory once just like Moredon, which has been both labour and tory during this century.

Hey Ringer, nah! I actually meant the Springbank ward in Cheltenham! The wider constituency--pfft. Nigel Jones attacked. John Taylor's selection. That could merit a rather long, rather up and down history all of itself!

--Other news, Moredon's gone red with a large vote also for UKIP...So, I proudly stand by my predictions. Tories did well though...very well all considering. And commiserations to Chris Watts, squeezed outside. Though I'm sure his hard work won't go unnoticed.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:14 AM »

And commiserations to Chris Watts, squeezed outside. Though I'm sure his hard work won't go unnoticed.

I think that there has been a terrible terrible mis-understanding.

This is me after the election.
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: