Author Topic: Mechanics Institute Antemortem Analysis - Who, What, When & Why  (Read 48373 times)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Re: Mechanics Institute Antemortem Analysis - Who, What, When & Why
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
I can fully understand Richard's frustration. I'm pretty good at working to the rule "He/she who expects nothing will not be disappointed" which is why I've managed to battle on fruitlessly on many a campaign. I expect that there are many people who can't work with me because of the way I work. I can't stand inefficiency for a start! As such, I can't work with the MI Trust even though I'm a member.

I think that it may have changed under Daniel Rose's input. I hope so...
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
Maybe it's down to what sort of organisation it is.

It is a lot easier if the org has one leading light with all the skills, time and efficiency to run regualry, legally and for year after year. But usually if that leading light leaves, the org will be in disarray.

There is another sort, where one is a leading light, has strong ideas, willing slaves and takes on far too much and ends up not doing anything well. Maybe falls ill along the way or has to leave for some reason and a rush is on to find others to take on different aspects of the org.

Then there is the leading light, has strong ideas but knows it, so makes sure that others in the group agree with actions before acting - takes up time, makes things less efficient, but can usually call on others to step into the breach because they have been involved to a certain extent up to crisis.

All volunteers have different circumstances, all groups are run differently and change with whoever is running them. 

I don't really care how the MI is run, they are obviously getting there, bit by bit, even if we don't know how their finances are, both funders and Charity commission is happy with it. And by golly they have survived over the years. And done so without three of us being involved.

For those who are not happy with that, I explained back a few postings how something could be done about it, but to keep coming on here and saying the same things does not help solve them and could provoke a retributional overlook of our own groups and certainly leaves it open for people to judge how much we know about what we are talking about.

And for all we know, it's all change anyway, Daniel has explained as much and how they are doing and who with. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »
He who expects nothing will not be disappointed

I wasn't, it arrived this morning.

Seems to me that not enough people care enough about the MI, and that's a sad thing.

I'm nearly always in favour of refeshing something old rather that just grabbing something new, in this instance I really feel we are going to end up with a large and expensive rockery followed by twenty years of people discussing whose fault it was.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »
Oh! there are enough people caring about it, which is why the MI reps are in discussions with those they need to be and not up here. i.e. focused!

If there were ten malcontents writing on here, that doesn't mean there aren't thousands out there 'for it'
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #164 on: March 28, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
Any news on the MI?

Has the NMIPT done anything?

Anyone know who actually owns it now and who can you contact in regards the future ownership?

Is it English Heritage or a Govt. Dept?

I assume that SBC has given up the ghost of getting any monies back from the defunct ForeFront Ltd.
I assume the Bank has too.

The charges placed on the building would be invalid as  ownership has reverted to the Queen ie. Govt or EH?

Anyone know anything about the legal state of the building?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »
No doubt we will have an update at the SSP (One Swindon) conference in April, even if it doesn't come from the Lectern, I have never known the MI reps not to be there and ready to share news.

In fact come to think of it, they are usually filming it (and other meetings over the years)