Author Topic: Who is Rikki Hunt?  (Read 66258 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Who is Rikki Hunt?
« Reply #260 on: September 08, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

My own opinion is that Mr Hunt has been extraordinarily good at selling, erm, Mr Hunt.

and maybe people who should, by virtue of qualifications, have known better have been extraordinarily good at being taken in by his ability to sell erm Mr Hunt!!

or have I missed something?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #261 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:03 PM »
and maybe people who should, by virtue of qualifications, have known better have been extraordinarily good at being taken in by his ability to sell erm Mr Hunt!!

You know Richard i bet Coun Bluh would agree with you now.

Let's never forget that Rikki Hunt is a consumate seller of himself. How else can you explain his friends defending him by suggesting his reluctance to pay HMRC the tax he owes as not such a big deal.

After last nights cabinet I am fast coming to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, there is a need to look slightly beyond Coun Bluh and Gavin Jones (who are ultimately accountable) and at the actions of other very senior people.

As for the damage Rikki Hunt has done to political life in Swindon - I'm not sure Coun Bluh and Gavin Jones actually realise the impact of this debacle for whatever anyone says it is a debacle, made the more so by Rikki Hunt pouring petrol on a lit fire by his statement to the Swindon Adver that Council executives approached him and not the reverse. I happen to accept the word of both Coun Bluh and Gavin Jones on this issue if for only one very good reason - how could SBC or Coun Bluh approach Rikki Hunt for something they knew nothing about?  The stated record (never before challenged by RH) makes it clear that RH approached the Council in June 2009. Unless he can prove differently RH should be making a public apology.

I have said previously that RH was a super salesman - he just can't run anything - a common trait in salesmen, who are by definition 'cavaliers' always at the forefront of the company doing the next deal.

Yep - senior officers were suckered in and spat out by a salesman extraordinaire and as he 'rdies into the sunset' Coun Perkins is left high and dry.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #262 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »
I'd have some sympathy for Messrs Bluh et al if they had shown an ounce of remorse and changed their method of operation, but I don't see any evidence of that yet.

Humble pie can be eaten with dignity and stir some respect, continuing on arsehole setting will just create lasting enmity and no good can come of that.

A public servant, I think, has to have a sense of humility, but that does not mean they have to be a doormat because self confidence and assertiveness are also requirements.

I don't have the pretty damn awesome grasp of the facts that some of you have with regard to this issue, what I do have is a significant sense of grievance at the entirely inappropriate arrogance being displayed by those who, should, have protected our interests and so clearly did not. It is that hubris (?) which will lead me to forever question the suitability of these people to hold the offices they do, and to seek the faults in everything they do while they continue to hold those offices.

As things stand I sense the potential for similar to happen all again, by that I mean the procurement of things we don't want, or need, in ways that while possibly legal, challenge the definition of proper in that they are at the whim of a very select, very few.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #263 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
After last nights cabinet I am fast coming to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, there is a need to look slightly beyond Coun Bluh and Gavin Jones (who are ultimately accountable) and at the actions of other very senior people.

Unfortunately due to the sudden arrival from Australia of my old college friend and flatmate, I had to go to Pangbourne last night and therefore could not attend.

I understand you had a range of questions, could you please share them with us and the responses you received please?

I have said previously that RH was a super salesman - he just can't run anything - a common trait in salesmen, who are by definition 'cavaliers' always at the forefront of the company doing the next deal.

But Des as a Salesman by profession myself An Order is not an Order until it is Placed, Delivered and Paid For.  The trouble is we got this rather out of sequence and handed over payment before anything was actually delivered in the case of the £250,000, and for that people who should have known better should be accountable.  In the light of such blatant incompetence should this amount to surcharging those people involved?  In view of the total lack of contirtion. there lies the question!

I'd have some sympathy for Messrs Bluh et al if they had shown an ounce of remorse and changed their method of operation, but I don't see any evidence of that yet.

Humble pie can be eaten with dignity and stir some respect, continuing on arsehole setting will just create lasting enmity and no good can come of that.

A public servant, I think, has to have a sense of humility, but that does not mean they have to be a doormat because self confidence and assertiveness are also requirements.

I don't have the pretty damn awesome grasp of the facts that some of you have with regard to this issue, what I do have is a significant sense of grievance at the entirely inappropriate arrogance being displayed by those who, should, have protected our interests and so clearly did not. It is that hubris (?) which will lead me to forever question the suitability of these people to hold the offices they do, and to seek the faults in everything they do while they continue to hold those offices.

As things stand I sense the potential for similar to happen all again, by that I mean the procurement of things we don't want, or need, in ways that while possibly legal, challenge the definition of proper in that they are at the whim of a very select, very few.

Didn't Rod say in defence of this pRoject that because there would be a shortfall in funding that we would have to take risks of this nature in order to pay for services in future?  In which case expect more of the same Mart!!   :crazy2:
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
As for the damage Rikki Hunt has done to political life in Swindon - I'm not sure Coun Bluh and Gavin Jones actually realise the impact of this debacle for whatever anyone says it is a debacle, made the more so by Rikki Hunt pouring petrol on a lit fire by his statement to the Swindon Adver that Council executives approached him and not the reverse.

I would have thought that now it has had quite a bit of mainstream publicity (an article titled "The myth of free wi-fi" mentioning Swindon has been in the top 10 most read on the BBC news website for most of the day), they might at last begin to realise the damage. Damage to Swindon, damage to Mr Bluh's own political party, and damage to their own reputations.

Yep - senior officers were suckered in and spat out by a salesman extraordinaire and as he 'rdies into the sunset' Coun Perkins is left high and dry.

But what I don't yet get is a sense that, if a similar salesman were to ride along again, they wouldn't be suckered in exactly the same way.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
I would have thought that now it has had quite a bit of mainstream publicity (an article titled "The myth of free wi-fi" mentioning Swindon has been in the top 10 most read on the BBC news website for most of the day), they might at last begin to realise the damage. Damage to Swindon, damage to Mr Bluh's own political party, and damage to their own reputations.

One of the areas which SBC offciers were required to consider in their risk assessment of DCs Forward Business Plan - that is the second business plan created only 6 months after the first one was approved - was 'risk to the council's reputation'  Even today I don't think they have quite got it as faar as that is concerned. Why? Well perhaps it's something to do with the apathy of the electorate.

Oh, by the way From June onwards it was Business Paln 3 which was being worked to and that had NOT been 'risk assessed'

But what I don't yet get is a sense that, if a similar salesman were to ride along again, they wouldn't be suckered in exactly the same way

:agreed:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2011, 08:26:40 PM »
Unfortunately due to the sudden arrival from Australia of my old college friend and flatmate, I had to go to Pangbourne last night and therefore could not attend.

I understand you had a range of questions, could you please share them with us and the responses you received please?

Very happy to do so.

1.   With regard to the £250k, being the second tranche of monies given by way of loan to DC – can it be confirmed whether this money or any part of it was spent on any expenses incurred in the first phase of the project – setting up Highworth and if so what amount was spent on the first phase – in total ?

Answer was YES some of the money given as part of tranche 2 WAS spent on funding phase 1 the Highworth element which was 90% completed by December and remains 90% completed today. No work was undertaken in Highworth post March 2010. The amount was not disclosed but an answer was promised. It really shouldn't be too difficult to get the figure. I was amazed as there was nothing in the cabinet documents pertaining to the loan which indicated that any of the £250k would be used for phase 1.
2.   According to Coun Perkins he attended his first board meeting of DC in July 2010 – two months after the £250k was advanced to DC. He was clearly shocked to discover the state of DC’s finances to the point he was concerned about the viability of DC without additional finance coming into the company. Did Coun Perkins advise you and senior officers of his concerns and if so why did this not set in motion the recall of the £250k or at best a note to the Company asking them not to spend a penny of the money?.

Answer - none was forthcoming - I am due a written answer
3.   I have asked in previous correspondence whether a full and comprehensive ‘Risk Assessment’ of DC’s Forward Business plan – that was plan 2 had been undertaken, I have been assured it was. Why was the precarious state of DC’s finances not spotted in that plan given that according to Coun Perkins the assessment covered income, costs and cashflows?

I was promised a written answer
4.   According to Coun Perkins DC has been looking for a new partner since March 2010 – is that correct

Answer - coun perkins meant 'investor' as opposed to partner but accepts that DC with offcier support had been looking for a new investor at March 2010.
5.   I am pleased that Coun Perkins is on record as saying “I have  no problem actually with people understanding where the money was spent – at all”   I wonder if Coun Perkins has now had chance to look at the accounts, that is not the final accounts but the monthly management accounts of DC and whether he is now able to tell us exactly what the £250k was spent on or has the Council not seen the management accounts?  I was a little concerned to note that Mr McKellar advised that he was in receipt of the monthly accounts but Coun Perkins was not and yet Mr McKellar saw no reason to ‘alert’ councillors to the know precarious state of DC’s finances

This for me was the most interesting point. Coun Perkins is on record as having said he did not see the accounts - he was of course referring to the annual accounts. I asked him very specifically about the monthly management accounts which as any accountant will tell you show the actual spending by description that occurs in any given month. Normally they will also show comparison figures such as month to date, year on year and actual to budget. It is also the case that the accounts will show cash at bank. Some banks will insist on seeing management accounts in order to ensure their investment is safe and convenants are not broken.
Coun Perkins denied ever seeing monthly management accounts but he had seen lines from the accounts. Sad reflection on his abilities as a director. Amazingly we had a bit of a scrum about who had seen them - not Coun Bluh, Not Coun perkins and not Coun Edwards the man charged with getting the money back. But lo and behold up spoke Mr McKellar (director of finance) who claimed he had received all the monthly management accounts and had only given a condensed version to councillors. I am amazed as Councillors have denied being able to explain in detail where the £400k was spent and yet the bean counters at the civic have had the information all the time..  I was also aghast that no one had spotted just how precarious the fiscal position of DC was even though the evidence was in their own hands.

I now await written answers to my questions. doubt i will get them any time soon .

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #267 on: September 08, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »
Thank you for your answers Des. 

Knowing the administration's propensity to promise Written Answers and then not send them I am not holding my breath for you!!

As for responsibility I see no contrition or for that matter accountability, an unbelievable situation!!

Could the Admins please copy over these details to the main thread please?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #268 on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
TS members will remember that a while ago Rikki Hunt, among other things, was an author. He wrote “Creating a Thinking Organization: Groundrules for Success”,  along with his mate Tony Buzan.

Rikki and Tony came up with a new method of “Creative Thinking”, a process missed out by evolution it seems.

Rikki then moved on by applying his Merlin like skills, to the process of disappearing £400,000 of taxpayers money from King Rodders . At this time, lacking the Wireless Telegraphy skills of Rikki, Tony carried on with his business of improving the minds of future businessmen.

Now according to this week’s Private Eye (page 30, “A ludic-rous figure.”) Several years ago, the financial backers of a “Mind Games” company, called “Brain Games Networks Inc”, lost £3M but the directors of that company may be now associating with a Tony Buzan in a new venture to set up a UK festival of Mind Games ready for the rich pickings of the Olympic year.

Could this Tony Buzan be the same one that is old mates with Rikki Hunt and would he have a position in his company ready for Rikki to step into when his year in the purdah of bankruptcy ends next March?

:popcorn:
What's it all about?

Got Signal

« Reply #269 on: November 10, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
in a new venture to set up a UK festival of Mind Games ready for the rich pickings of the Olympic year.
 :popcorn:

This sounds to me like another great eclipse of the 20th century, and a continuatio of the Millenium parties and events fever. It was less than 12 years ago when the Millenium Dome was being hailed as the place to be or visit. Can anyone remember what actually happened?  Millenium new year was the quietest new year on  record for many a year and for the Cornwall eclipse was not swamped by people wanting to see a total eclipse. I also think it may have been obscured by cloud? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_August_11,_1999

If 2012 is a success then it will be because the people did it, however I have noticed a total lack of hype and interest in 2012, is it coz we're all in it together? Or is it coz we're all borassic lint? A festival of mind games I look forward to it with interest, if it takes off good luck to them.  It may one thing besides the Olympia to work out and become a legacy?    :popcorn:

PS How much did Y2K cost your organization?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2011, 09:02:21 AM »
A little pointer Get Signal. "rich pickings" = mugs ready to be scammed.

The way I see it, this ain't no athletics meet but someone taking advantage of the publicity created by the London Games.
What's it all about?

Got Signal

« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
What was the take from Private Eye on the whole proposal. I took your post literally I must be closer to my IT side today than I at first thought?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #272 on: November 10, 2011, 12:09:37 PM »
I think that the Private Eye item hints at a possible gathering of vultures.
There is the first UK Festival of Mind Sports on the 17th of this month in London. They intend it to be the launch for the 2012 World Mind Sports Games, which they also seem to want to hold in London.

We can sit back and watch this one unfold together! I think that a lot of TS members are pre-occupied with other, very important, things but it could be interesting to see how this plays out. (And if Rikki gets involved!)
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #273 on: November 10, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
I shan't be attending. I've got a note from my mum.

It confirms I have a lame brain.

Looking forward to drinking Olympic tea from an Olympic mug dunking Olympic biscuits.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.