Author Topic: Who is Rikki Hunt?  (Read 68719 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Who is Rikki Hunt?
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »

( As an aside, if Digital City want to provide Boris with a Wi-FI system in time for the 2012 London Olympic games they needed to have started installation work just after the Norman Conquest)

This has got to be the quote of the week, well down outofowner!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
Leaning on a Lamppost

Thanks for links and quotes, folks.

When asked how quickly it would be working across the Borough he said "as quickly as possible" and then gave a "firm commitment" that it would be "by and large" finished by "this time next year".

Richard:  You are right about it all - of course.  As you well point out, garbled language can be used to fool folk [allegedly].  I am as fairly confident about that as I can be at this point.  Maybe.

But I am truly confident that we'll soon see an end to this.  You simply cannot scoot off with half-a-million quid, just by sticking some boxes on a few lampposts in a tiny town:  It's impossible.

We'll never get our money back, I know - but 'a term' looks like, at the very least, a good outside bet at this point.

'Consummate salesman' . . . .  Well, I'm not so sure.  Would you buy a used car from this guy - or invest your life-savings in one of his many scems?  There are a host of options:  How about the 'Hunt for It until You Get to its Bottom' idea, as described by Drone, for example?  Or are you attracted by a used business model, perhaps?  [Only one owner.  Genuine mileage.  Clapped out].  Interested? 

I think it was David Jason's fabulous 'Del Boy' creation who was fond of pronouncing, "This time next year, Rodders, we’ll all be  . . . .  " 

As for subscriber-numbers, I believe there are now well over 60 million 'free customers' in the UK, whatever that means.  The problem seems to lie in the actual reception of anything free by very many.  In fact, it's actually cost us all a lot of money.  [Is a local-government funded trade-in offer available in targeted areas?  Like our pockets, for example.]

But to answer your questions directly, I believe "for a while" means "for an unknown, indeterminate amount of time" and is the sort of language that is depended upon in criminal-prosecution court-cases.  It means you never actually promised anything specific. 

Weather forecasts are full of such stuff:
Likely to be somewhat cloudy and misty occasionally across parts of the region for a while.  Possible chance of darkness towards nightfall, in some areas.  Signal strength could be lower in certain populated districts and on higher ground later, so you may want to get that wallet out.  Visibility low for a while.  Bullshit levels very high for the foreseeable future.  Look out for charlatans, pitfalls, old bangers and muddy conditions in outlying rural areas, such as Highworth.  Overall - an unsettled picture, I'm afraid.  Outlook for next October?  Well, unclear.  Prospects a bit iffi and dodgy.  Not really promising. 
That’s all from me for now.  Have a nice day.
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury: It's back to you, in the studio.

And we pay for the lampposts. 

PS  Gerry Rafferty sang "Can I Have my Money Back?"

Gerry Rafferty - Can I Have My Money Back? Small | Large

Offline Drone

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »
Too much time on my hands...

Rikki Hunt: Y'know, a town with money is like a mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it!
(audience laughs)
Garry Perkins: Heh heh! Mule.
Rikki Hunt: The name's Hunt. Rikki Hunt.. And I come before you good people tonight with an idea. Probably the greatest... Aw, it's not for you. It's more of a Reading idea...
Cllr Bluh: Now wait just a minute! We're twice as smart as the people of Reading! Just tell us your idea and we'll vote for it!
Rikki Hunt: All right, I tell you what I'll do. I'll show you my idea! I give you the Swindon Wi-Fi net! (audience gasps) I've set up 'Hunt For It', 'Nine Retail' and ‘Cardio Ltd’ , and by gum, it put them on the map!
Well, sir, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine,
Bona fide,
Electrified,
Broadband
Wi-Fi! ...
What'd I say?
Greenhalgh: Wi-Fi!
Rikki Hunt: What's it called?
Hitash Patel: Wi-Fi!
Rikki: That's right! Wi-Fi!
(crowd chants "Wi-Fi" softly and rhythmically)
I swear it's Swindon's only choice...
Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
All: Wi-Fi!
Rikki Hunt: What's it called?
Rikki Hunt: Once again...
Talk Swindon: But the town centre’s still crap and broken!
Adver: Sorry, guys, the mob has spoken.
Wi-Fi!
Wi-Fi!
Wi-Fi!
Perkins: Wi-... D'oh!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
Perhaps Geoff could do another video?

It is such a shame that my old school friend and best man's uncle - Jimmy Perry of Dad's Army fame is 86 years young cos I know he would write a good script!!

Shall I speak to him?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
When Something Goes Wrong, I'm the Last to Admit It

I may have got some of this wrong.  [I found it quite difficult to understand, and I wasn't really sure what language was being used].

But, according to the Advertiser, someone called 'Rikki' appears to have said something like, "When I stated I will provide free internet access, if you give me a lot of money.  I did not mean 'I will provide free internet access':  I meant something more like, 'Give me a lot of money'. 

He added, "These things get taken out of context."

He said he had been "pleasantly surprised" by delays, but remained optimistic that something or other could be in place, or, at the very least, available, sometime. 

"If I was starting today, it would still be as successful.  On one level we did not do enough and this is the negative of a positive.  When I said 'we haven’t met a single deadline, but that’s life', I didn't mean 'that's life'.  I meant 'we haven't met a single deadline'.  People have to understand that.

"Just because something went wrong does not mean something went wrong.  There's a middle and a beginning and no end.  I hope the council get some money back, but if they don’t, then nobody does. People have to learn from their losses:  That's all part of the process. When others say they don’t believe in my business model, all I can say is 'I do'.  And, so, I'm now in the middle of changing it.

“The biggest single objective was to make sure that the loan was secured."

He went on to say that delays had been due to technical issues, including concrete lampposts, and bureaucracy. He said: “Delays are the fault of others, including the council, and some ordinary people wanting to examine the process, and other things."

He added he could not give any dates for delivery:  "I have targets but I will keep them to myself.  I'm certainly not telling you."

According to the article, the system already has more than one 'unique user', and the whole of Swindon will benefit from the scheme six months ago. [I don't know who writes these scripts].

Some politicians are reported to have admitted, in private, that, with hindsight, it might have been better to have been more open, and not to have been out caught glibly doling out cash behind closed doors. 

The article also mentions a trial.  This was one of the few bits that made much sense to me.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8433092.Free_wi_fi_project_dogged_by_delays/?ref=mr

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:36 PM »
Richard,

If Jimmy Perry would gace us with a script i'm sure that our representative of "Warnyou Brothers" all the way from Hollywood, Mr. Reid could do the movie.

May I suggest a couple of characters, please fill in the rest:

George Mainwaring is the pompous manager of the Swallow Bank in Walmington-On-Sea. When the Local Defence Volunteer Force is set up, he appoints himself Captain of the Walmington-On-Sea platoon. Played By Rodd Bluh?

Arthur Wilson is Chief Clerk at the Swallow Bank. He's the Sergeant in the Walmington-On-Sea platoon of the Home Guard. A fairly diffident, languid character, he tends to take most things in his stride.

Pte Jack Jones is the local butcher. He's the Lance-Corporal in the Walmington-On-Sea platoon of the Home Guard. Jack is an old soldier with over 30 years service. (Monty?)

Pte Frazer is the local undertaker. A dour Scot, he's always very cynical, with a naturally gloomy disposition.

Pte Frank Pike is a Clerk at the Swallow Bank. He's the youngest member of the Walmington-On-Sea platoon of the Home Guard.

Pte Joe Walker is the local "wide boy". If you want something, however scarce, Joe Walker can usually be relied on to get it for you - no questions asked - provided the price is right. Played by Rikki Hunt?

Pte Godfrey is very much the old-fashioned gentleman. 35 years of service in men's outfitting has left him with an ingrained sense of politeness.

Pte Hodges is the local greengrocer. He's the Chief Warden with the Walmington-On-Sea ARP unit. He has a very low opinion of 'Napoleon' Mainwairing and his 'geriatric' platoon.

The Reverend Farthing is the Vicar of St. Aldhelm's Church, Walmington-On-Sea.

Mr Yeatman is the Verger of St. Aldhelm's Church, Walmington-On-Sea.

What's it all about?

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2010, 12:01:45 AM »
I see the Adver is still falling over itself to try and show this sad and sorry debacle in a good light though. It does mention Rikki's failure at STFC and the money loaned to the wi-fi, but stops short of actually criticising the deal.

my favourite quote is about half way through on the second page

"The reasons for the deal are technical difficulties and council bureaucracy” 

Obviously he didn't like having to ask for the extra £350,000 then, I suppose he thought the taxpayers should just give it to him no questions asked.

Would like to know what bureaucracy he feels has stopped him getting Highworth done then, or is this another on the spot excuse for taking our money and running.

Remember every month £20,000 pound is paid in 'consultation fees', that's the wage of (or equivilient to the capacity to employ) a gardener, litter picker or bin man going into Rikki's pocket thin air
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Drone

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
I'm sure if he had borrowed that much money from a bank, there might have been slightly more 'bureaucracy'. And scrutiny.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Muggins

« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2010, 08:49:23 AM »
Tea boy says "Remember every month £20,000 pound is paid in 'consultation fees', that's the wage of (or equivilient to the capacity to employ) a gardener, litter picker or bin man going into Rikki's pocket thin air"

Best point out that the amount mentioned is the ANNUAL wage not a monthly one!  So the annual amount is equivelant cost to empoying 12 gardeners, or 6 gardeners and 6 bin men, or a couple of rangers, a couple of youth workers and a couple of playworkers.

I can see now why they are so secretive, those who put themselves forward to speak about it only makes matters worse.

I thought that Rikki Hunt's attitude via the Adver was very flippant.  That's our money mate.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline PAV

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:19 AM »
I reckon Mr Hunt is simply trending water until Nick from the Appretice retires.

Then he'll step up to be Lord Sugars right (left) hand man.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:58 AM »
Come on Pav, do you think Alan would have him? 

He's more likely to end up as Del Boys right hand man.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #111 on: October 07, 2010, 10:20:17 AM »
I wonder if Mr Hunt will be in attendence to defend his Wi-fi at the Pilgrim Centre tomorrow night Friday 7.00pm for 7.30pm when the SAFETY of Wi-fi is under independent scrutiny?

Yet another thing the Council had not considered other than in a very cursory way!

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
How did this come about?
I assume Mr Hunt proposed a scheme and certain people within SBC advised on it and approved it.
Who are those people?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
It's all on this site Roby under Wi-fi but there is a lot of reading I am afraid.

Unless you are talking about the people tomorrow night?

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
Thank you, Richard.

I have only come across this quite recently, you see.  And I find it such an incredible story, that it bewilders me.

How on earth could anyone hand over half-a-million pounds, on the basis of some salesman [with a track record] asserting 'confidence' that some places might have some sort of 'wifi' at some times, some day - supplied via lampposts?

And it is normal, in my experience, for there to be compelling performance & repayment related terms & conditions attached to loans and contracts.

So, I just can't make any sense of it.

[I am writing from a cafe where free internet access, at all hours of day and evening, comes along with buying a coffee].

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #115 on: October 07, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
Roby it makes you wonder how useful that money could have been in saving services the discussion of which to cut is due to take place in an hour and a half at Full Council?

What I would like to know is just a plain when is it going to available borough wide and as Mr Hunt doesn't seem to know maybe we should ask the members of the Council who loaned the money in the first place?

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #116 on: October 07, 2010, 06:01:42 PM »

Remember every month £20,000 pound is paid in 'consultation fees'

Tea Boy

Well put.

Who's getting 'consultation fees' - for doing what?

Offline peach

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »
I've read that is the salary Mr Hunt is drawing for his services to Digital City UK.

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
I've read that is the salary Mr Hunt is drawing for his services to Digital City UK.

Thanks, peach.

That's a lot. 

Still not sure what it's for, though.  Makes Gavin Jones' packet look small-time.

I would not have liked to come up a scam such as that, because I would have felt so ashamed.

PS   The £450,000 is not going to last long, then.

Offline Drone

« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
Any idea how the loan is secured? If Digital City did go to the wall, would the council have any chance of getting the money back?
derp derp herp herp derp