Author Topic: Prisoners' Release: Housing | Justice | Written Answers  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Fido

• Talkswindon RSS Robot
Prisoners' Release: Housing | Justice | Written Answers
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »
Prisoners' Release: Housing | Justice | Written Answers
7 September 2010, 2:00 am

To ask the Secretary of State for Justice what steps his Department is taking (a) directly and (b) through partnership working to ensure that former offenders have access to secure housing on release.

Source: Robert Buckland's recent appearances (TheyWorkForYou)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Re: Prisoners' Release: Housing | Justice | Written Answers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »
Am I missing something here?

Is there a list of groups by priority somewhere?

Adopting a jingoistic pose, it sits comfortably sometimes, does a discharged squaddy and his family come before or after someone who has served their debt to society?

Where does a Romany come now the French have done the kind of thing a few Brits wish their Government had done (again). Except that surrendering thing, obviously.

Morally tricky stuff with no neat solution but I sense a queue for the 'Outraged Taxpayer' counter.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Drone

Re: Prisoners' Release: Housing | Justice | Written Answers
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 06:50:24 AM »
Not sure it's in any way workable to reserve housing for ex-prisoners. There are huge, huge pressures on the dwindling s0ocial housing stock. So much so, that anyone who even works part-time goes straight to the bottom of this list. Either an amount of housing is reserved for ex-prisoners (which would probably not go down well with voters) or housing is created for ex-prisoners, which would cost money.

derp derp herp herp derp