Author Topic: Public Libraries | Westminster Hall debates  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Fido

• Talkswindon RSS Robot
Public Libraries | Westminster Hall debates
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
Public Libraries | Westminster Hall debates
7 September 2010, 3:30 pm

I am very grateful to my hon. Friend for mentioning the Old Town library, which is in my constituency. I can tell you, Mrs Main, that as an instinctive bookworm and a user of the library service in South Swindon who gave an involuntary shudder when he learnt that the third edition of "The Oxford English Dictionary" is not to be put into print, I am somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to libraries. However, I was delighted to hear my hon. Friend's reference to the need for a place of quiet reflection. Does he agree that in any move to new premises, such as the welcome art centre development in Old Town, we must remember that at the back of it all libraries should remain places where there can be quiet reflection for those who use them?

Source: Robert Buckland's recent appearances (TheyWorkForYou)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Public Libraries | Westminster Hall debates
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »

Was the Old Town library move 'welcome'. If so, who welcomed it?

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Public Libraries | Westminster Hall debates
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »
It was my understanding to be expedient in order to keep a Library Service in Old Town.

One immediate effect though is to re locate the Home Library Service, which operated from Old Town, to the Parks Library in Cavandish Square.  This has had the effect to lose one Old Town volunteer and increases mileage costs significantly.

It remains to be seen if this re location is a success or reduces Library use.

Please remember that Councillor Fiouola Foley, Lead Member for the Library Service, has said there will be no closures on her watch.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group