Author Topic: Lamplighters: Mechanics Institute In Imminent Danger Of Collapse?  (Read 47845 times)

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
Re: Lamplighters: Mechanics Institute In Imminent Danger Of Collapse?
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
who are the stakeholders?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »

I do not feel it is the best use of my time to spend hours every week on this forum.

How much attention is this one thread getting from guest readers & members? 

You can lead a horse to water.

Daniel with 1900 readers of this thread alone don't you think your time is well spent on this forum.

Is this not what Public Relations is all about?

Please use it while you can and remember there is no such thing as bad publicity!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:01 PM »

ok.  Deep breath. let me start the list rolling...in of course no particular order !

1 every resident and workforce member in Swindon
2 New Mechanics' Institute Trust
3 Matthew Singh
4 Councillors
5 SBC Officers
6 Local residents' associations
7 local businesses
8 Swindon Civic Trust
9 Custodian Organisation of Listed Buildings
10 Old Swindon Railworks Associations
11 Forward Swindon or its latest morph
12 The utmost Strategic Planning/regeneration Consortium thingy - (SSP? or something)
13 The local Cluster
14 The Swindon Society (history)
15 South Swindon MP

I bet it won't take TSers long to boost this list to 30 stakeholders (agencies that might be considered to have an interest in the outcome)

Apols to any I've missed in this first stab at it...

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:03 PM »
While Geoff is right that the digital world is 24/7 etc I have to prioritize the work programme of the Trust and with balancing all the many issues and stakeholders I do not feel it is the best use of my time to spend hours every week on this forum. Digital media does have its limits and with an issue as complex as this it is hard not to end up answering the same questions again and again, getting personal or playing ping-pong worse than an evening at a Council meeting which so many of the public hate.
But those forms of behaviour are not particular to digital media, they occur in discussion meetings too.

The advantages of an online discussion are:
(a) it is open to anybody at any time;
(b) it is not limited in time - one of the problems with public meetings is that discussion has to be cut-off on fiercely debated issues, without resolving the matter - online an issue can be debated until it comes to a natural conclusion.
(c) the chair of a meeting can severely affect its value - a chair needs to be both effective and neutral. A public meeting on the issue would need to be chaired by someone other than a NMIPT member to be of value.

Matters debated on TalkSwindon have resulted in questions being asked in parliament. Don't underestimate the power of new media.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »

Perfectly put.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2010, 11:05:11 PM »

ok.  Deep breath. let me start the list rolling...in of course no particular order !

1 every resident and workforce member in Swindon
2 New Mechanics' Institute Trust
3 Matthew Singh
4 Councillors
5 SBC Officers
6 Local residents' associations
7 local businesses
8 Swindon Civic Trust
9 Custodian Organisation of Listed Buildings
10 Old Swindon Railworks Associations
11 Forward Swindon or its latest morph
12 The utmost Strategic Planning/regeneration Consortium thingy - (SSP? or something)
13 The local Cluster
14 The Swindon Society (history)
15 South Swindon MP

I bet it won't take TSers long to boost this list to 30 stakeholders (agencies that might be considered to have an interest in the outcome)

Apols to any I've missed in this first stab at it...

i thought mr singh was the owner ......which mp has a stake then?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:31 PM »

Surely the only legal stakeholders are Forefront estates ?

Some may feel they have a moral stake but, until they get their act together and set about raising enough money to purchase the building from it's owner and take care of the restoration themselves, it's more sentimental activism than stakeholding.

Without owning the building and having funds to restore it,  all any of us can do is make noise and prevent x,y and z from happening.

My own feeling is that the NMIPT will either learn to accept a realistic compromise, however painful that may be for  them, or they will eventually bear witness to most of the building becoming a hole in the ground..

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
As a minimalist set of stakeholders, I would have thought:
  • Forefront Estates - owners;
  • English Heritage - have a say under the regulation of listed buildings;
  • Swindon Borough Council - planning authority, also with obligations under planning regulations and listed building regulations;
  • Forward Swindon - urban regeneration company with certain powers within Central Swindon.

All the rest are only stakeholders via their influence on the Council or English Heritage.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2010, 03:29:16 AM »

I note:

1. Although this expensive little escapade is of his making, Councillor Greenhalgh is still keeping himself out of the limelight - Perkins is point-man once again.

2. SBC have finally 'fessed up to the contamination issue,

Showing its usual aptitude for the timely dissemination of data, SBC finally posted the news about the roof yesterday (21.09.2010)

"The roof of the historic Mechanics’ Institute is so close to collapse that Swindon Borough Council is to dismantle it next week"

Quote from: Swindon Borough Council
"There are high levels of contamination from asbestos and lead, materials commonly used in the railway works. Measures are in place to ensure that none of the contaminants escape from the confines of the building during the work.

They may have been commonly used in the works, but the Mechanics Institute is a fair distance from the works.

Cllr Garry Perkins, Swindon Borough Council Deputy Leader, said: “We have taken over the building in the nick of time. An uncontrolled collapse of the roof could well cause other damage to the structure. Once the roof is off we will then protect the building with scaffolding and sheeting to prevent further weather damage. There will inevitably be disruption in the area but it is vital that this work is carried out quickly.”

As much as possible of the historic roof structure will be retained so that it can be used in any future restoration, or serve as a template for areas that need to be reconstructed with new material.

Local councillors are being kept informed of the progress of the work and a meeting for nearby residents in the Railway Village has been organised for Wednesday, 15 September to explain what is happening and give them a chance to question the people in charge of the project.

The Nick of time eh?, good job I wasn't bothered about attending the meeting in 'the nick of time' because, having only just read about it in a council bulletin that was published yesterday, I belatedly realise that the meeting happened 6 days ago, but residents of the Railway Village fear not.....

.....SBC will promptly tell you if you have been inhaling blue and brown aspestos and have contracted the Swindon Disease - probably at some point after you're already brown-bread and your relatives are wondering why it took three weeks to cremate your mortal remains.

Deary me.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »
Living so close to The Works no doubt those residents had alrady digested their fair share of toxicants!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)