Author Topic: Where's Our WiFi: August 2010  (Read 28610 times)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Re: Where's Our WiFi: August 2010
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
I saw some time ago the following on an Internet IT jobs page:

http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/news/swindon-wi-fi-city-creates-tech-jobs-008

The good news is that the pilot has already created many new jobs with the first tranche going to network experts and technicians. To date, a 30-strong army of network and software engineers has been hired for the pilot implementation and that will scale rapidly as the rest of Swindon is wirelessly enabled.
"The key people we need at this initial stage are network planners, engineers and also the software  engineers to do the optimisation and configuration when there are problems with signal," reports Rikki Hunt, chief executive officer of Digital City, the company tasked with talking Swindon into a new digital era.

Some of the thornier tech problems that Digital City has had to solve include how to maintain signal around an undulating neighbourhood and how to turn old-fashioned lamp posts into hosts for wi-fi. “When they’re kitted out with a time switch rather than a solar sensor, then you get problems”, says Hunt.
Hunt outlines the opportunities for local IT jobseekers and the business community: the wi-fi city is already creating a second wave of jobs for the IT community as developers start to code and package applications to run over the network. "Some popular apps are already emerging, including a security webcam device, which can monitor private and business properties," he explains.
Additionally, a team of CRM experts currently maintains and tunes the back-office system. A third tier of jobs is expected to arrive soon in the shape of customising and managing wireless apps for the local business community. These jobs will be hoovered up by the local small and medium business tier.

Does any know of, or are they one of the 30 people who hold these new jobs?

Also has anyone, who is involved in IT in the "local small and medium business tier" been "hoovered up"  by Digital City to become a partner. (Have you heard any inside info on this Chris?)

[Love the bit about Solar sensors and Time switches. They are both switches Rikki and one side of them is always live.  Confusus say, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot rather than open it and confirm the fact."
What's it all about?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »
Scale rapidly?

Interesting  :popcorn:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
I could not resist pulling out this particular bit from the article!!

"London has ambitions to become the wi-fi capital of the world by the 2012 Olympics with every lamp post and bus stop destined to become wireless hotspots, according to London’s mayor, Boris Johnson. [Published 28/5/2010]

The bad news (for Boris, that is) is that Swindon got there ahead of London – it has just finished wi-fi-enabling a northern suburb called Highworth in a pilot exercise, which will be extended to the rest of the city in the coming months."

Oh if only I had had Rikki as my Sales Director in the 1970's when my companies stopped production lines for lack of supplies and products were made from a cheaper material than had been costed in order to make more profit, I would never have had any lost sleep, Rikki would explain it away in an instant.

You have go to hand it to him he has more neck than giraffe!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »
Scale rapidly?

Mmmm, hard water can play havoc with your WiFi. I've just poured a bucket of water over my router and it stopped working immediately.

Got to hand it to the man.

Calgon prevents limescale build-up in your washing machine   computer to protect the heating winky blinky light element thingy, pipes valves and drum keyboard of the machine. It is completely safe for all fabrics computers and colours dongles and has a unique phosphate-free formula.

Calgon is for use in every wash browsing session at all temperatures. With Calgon you only have to use the minimum amount of detergent advised for washing surfing in soft water areas and so can save up to 30% on detergent.

Calgon Water Softener is available in a range of products to suit your needs: Powder, Tablet, Downloads and Gel.

Do Microsoft sell anti-scaling software does anyone know?

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »
Rikki will flog you some Calgon from his barrow by The Canal.
Now that you've given the game away Mart, it'll be his next "Marketing Opportunity". He probably expects to overcome consumer inertia by networking, while offering sponsored apprenticeships to young Del Boys to prevent them turning to crime...like Fagin did.
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
As a customer I resent being labelled 'inert' because I don't buy the product. Then if I don't buy the product am I a customer? So is there such a thing as an inert customer?

Perhaps the product is shoite, there's a new angle to exploit, 'Nobody is buying my product, my product is, in my eyes, oh, I dunno, vibrant, therefore the non purchasers are blinkered dull plodding and clearly not vibrating, inert if you will. My failure is not, in fact, mine. My failure is their fault because they won't buy my product because, apparently, there are better offers in the market. Get with the vision you slackers!'

However the genius of this specific plan is that you are obliged to subsidise it whether you want the poxy thing or not.

Will SBC be subbing Sony TV cos I bought a Samsung?

I bet he gets another bung.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 02:20:48 PM »
"The bad news (for Boris, that is) is that Swindon got there ahead of London – it has just finished wi-fi-enabling a northern suburb called Highworth in a pilot exercise, which will be extended to the rest of the city in the coming months."

Two things here show the how wobbly it all is - could be bad reporting., of course.  Highworth is a blessed TOWN, not a 'northern suburb' and the rest is not a CITY, it's a TOWN.  Maybe a the two ends of the definition of TOWN but still town's nonetheless.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
Hey folks is Rikki going to build Rod's Canal?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »
2015 Swindon Town Centre.

Rikki is speaking, "We didn't know that canals had to have water in them and when we researched this and carried out some trials we found that the flowed downhill. Working with our partners and provided that there is no more political interference, we hope to have everything up and running in about a years time."
What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
Water runs downhill, - did Rikki tell you that outoftowner?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 12:31:47 PM »
Good point and the drop along fleet st Faringdon road is 40ft how many locks is that?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
One very big one?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »
Good point and the drop along fleet st Faringdon road is 40ft how many locks is that?

Who was that very well known engineering consultancy firm who did that very expensive survey for this route?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »
Halcrow.
Bobby

Offline Drone

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
We could always have a boat lift... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Lift_Lock
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »
We could always have a boat lift... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_Lift_Lock

But Rod will have to find yet more money for a further survey Drone!

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
You want that Brunel bloke, his Dad was french, but I'll forgive him that.

Swindon needs a canal like it needed regeneration and WiFi.

And that bloke Blah. Or whatever his bloody name is.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
The whole issue of 'delay' in the Wi-Fi roll out needs to be clarified.

According to Coun Perkins 'because of delaying tactics employed, this project was held up for six months"  This statement of course is simply a nonsense.

The Wi-Fi project was set in motion under the terms of a Cabinet Briefing Note dated 12 October 2009 (this was the decision that Coun Bluh decided should not be referred to or made by the whole Cabinet due to commercial sensitivities)

The first phase, Highworth was agreed to be completed by 'end of November 2009' followed by the rest of the Borough within 4 to 6 months.

It therefore follows that, as DC had been given £150,000 (the first drawdown) the project timetable started immediately after the signing of the minute confirming acceptance of the loan agreement.  There was no delay to the start of the project as the first opportunity for members of the public, never mind councillors, to ask questions was circa 17 November when a Press Release was issued by SBC.  The first time the subject was raised at a Scrutiny Meeting was 14 December 2009 - some 2 weeks after the first phase was supposed to have been completed.

It is difficult to imagine how anyone could suggest that asking questions after the event could be in some way be categorised as employing delaying tactics.

The Scrutiny Committee and members of the public asked searching questions, some of which were decidedly uncomfortable for Councillors and Officers - sadly obfuscation and evasion were the standard responses employed until it was obvious the questions were not 'going away' - then ridicule and insult were added to obfuscation and evasion.

The delays in progressing Highworth to completion have been formally identified by both DC and SBC - these include - the weather, planning problems, technical issues and the topography of Highworth. Now Coun Perkins adds "attempts to de-rail the project".

Not only does he add this unjustified slur to the melting pot , he further states that "attempts made to de-rail this project stalled development until just 6 months ago" That timeline just happens to coincide with the decision to release a further £250,000 to DC.

As you will know the release of the £250,000 was only made possible due to the largesse of the Council in varying the terms of the original Loan Agreement.  Each of the variations reduced the performance measure aginst which DC was to be judged.  It should have been a matter of concern to the Council, it's officers and members, that DC was unable to obtain £20,000 of private sector sponsorship or committment and that after 5 months of operation with comments being made in the media which suggested Swindon was a Wi-FI Eldorado.

DC has had a further 6 months to drive the project forward.  It received the additional funding of £250,000 at the beginning of May 2010. That no physical progress has been made is not down to scrutiny of the project, it's down to DC's failure to fulfil their part of a bargain and the introspective attitude of SBC which forbide them from ever acknowledging they got this one wrong.

This is what SBC Officers wrote: "The risk in delaying funding is that DC will not be in a position to progress full Borough coverage, meaning that the project is likely to stall and the original loan amount of £150,000 wil be in jeopardy"  sadly, the project has stalled unless someone thinks no action for 6 months can be defined otherwise.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »
If I recall the project was officially opened/launched on 15th december 2009 by Caroline Spelman and PPCs Justin Tomlinson and Robert Buckland and others at Highworth library. The next tranche of money was due to be released in March as per the cabinet report. which is on record. The one where the progress measures were adjusted, so payment could be made in March except for 50K, which has been held back.

As I understand the rest of the money less 50K was paid before the end of the 2009/10 financial year, if you recall to enable that to happen that is why a special cabinet meeting was held on 31st March. December 15th to March 31st is not a 6 month period  and I believe was part of the proposed timeframe as outlined in the report to cabinet. If there is a delay  or I have any of the facts wrong in my post. I am the council will email me with the facts, so that I can post  on TS any correction.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2010, 09:32:16 PM »
Steve - you are correct in that the 'big switch on' was 16th December and it was covered extensively by the Adver.

Interestingly all the comments at the time were 'positive' and very gung ho. Indeed according to Mr Hunt DC would be selling other linked servcies to Highworth residents by the end of next month - January 2010 that is.

According to Mr Hunt - Highworth was 'almost completed' and he is saying the same today nearly one year on.