Author Topic: Where's Our WiFi: August 2010  (Read 27848 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Where's Our WiFi: August 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Monorail, monorail, monorail.

Mono, doh!

Shall we agree on it's a puppet pyramid-monorail scheme?

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »
In the BCS Link Mr Hunt admits that it is news to him that some lamposts do not have a continuous power supply.

I too saw this and thought what tw@ts….  :uglystupid2:

But a while later (and I know I am a bit slow at times) I thought, hang on WE TAXPAYERS cough up for the electricity that Tricky Rikki is going to hack into for his Wifi nodes. I know they may not take much power, but with all the nodes that’ll be required to provide the 24/7 Swindon wide Wifi net (OK I know it’s a bit pie in the sky but stay with me) it could add up to a substantial cost, so how will they calculate how much DC pays back to Swindon Council in electric usage or will this be another backhander from Rodders to good old Rikki and DC?

Then bang… it hit me again… I remember reading that Swindon council was looking to switch off some of the street lights to save money. So will this mean that in some areas (if it’s ever completed) their WiFi will also be turned off?

I heard that our local councillor Andy Harrison - who is very vocal,  was taken outside by the borough solicitor at a council meeting and politely asked to zip the lip  :-X

Can anyone every gag this gobby git  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »

Can anyone every gag this gobby git  :-X :-X :-X :-X

eerrr ummm NO !
He is a man of many many words  O0
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 11:02:34 PM »
The conservative administration clearly stated as a proposal that switching some street lights off would save about £6,000 per year. (About the same as the amount of electricity used by the big screen I am told) I am never sure where they get these figure from as Lamps are or used to be provided on an unmetered supply, and I believe the big screen is too.

A charge is made for the electric used, but it does not cover anything like the electric consumed. The reason for this is that it was determined that street lamps were just consuming the power that was already being generated. In power stations you cannot turn steam generating boilers on and off.  They have to ensure that generators are running at a minimum capacity at all times there to meet any demand that may occur during the night.

Anyway Bogie food for thought :-\

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 11:10:49 PM »
The conservative administration clearly stated as a proposal that switching some street lights off would save about £6,000 per year. (About the same as the amount of electricity used by the big screen I am told) I am never sure where they get these figure from as Lamps are or used to be provided on an unmetered supply, and I believe the big screen is too.

A charge is made for the electric used, but it does not cover anything like the electric consumed. The reason for this is that it was determined that street lamps were just consuming the power that was already being generated. In power stations you cannot turn steam generating boilers on and off.  They have to ensure that generators are running at a minimum capacity at all times there to meet any demand that may occur during the night.

Anyway Bogie food for thought :-\

Bet I'd soon get nicked if I hacked into the my nearest lamp post though..... :knuppel2:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
If you think that is happening then report it to your local councillor I am sure they will be interested in any hacking into nearest lamp posts :azn:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 11:33:24 PM »
If you think that is happening then report it to your local councillor I am sure they will be interested in any hacking into nearest lamp posts :azn:

Bit hard mate… I live in Eldene and bloody Rod’s the one giving Rikki permission

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »
What can i say to that? :-X

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:27 PM »
What can i say to that? :-X

Oh you've had a visit from the cHarm police and been gagged too  :-X

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 12:18:50 AM »
 :2funny: you should  be on the stage like all councillors bar those on Cabinet and scrutinty I have been kept out of this process deliberately  :wakeup:

Offline DarkAuror

• Hello !
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
Monorail, monorail, monorail.

Mono, doh!

Shall we agree on it's a puppet pyramid-monorail scheme?

Substitute Norwich for North Haverbrook, shall we?  :popcorn:

Link

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
I have just read on Geoff's Blog that DC now have 24 paying customers.  Wow that means that the income of DC has increased to £143.76 a month or £1725.12 a year and that SBC Council Tax Payers will see their loan repaid in 260 years time.  This assumes that its Chief Executive doesn't take it in salary and SBC do not impose the 'commercial' rates of interest agreed.

No wonder Rikki Hunt has become my salesman of the year.  No other contenders!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
I have just read on Geoff's Blog that DC now have 24 paying customers.  Wow that means that the income of DC has increased to £143.76 a month or £1725.12 a year and that SBC Council Tax Payers will see their loan repaid in 260 years time.  This assumes that its Chief Executive doesn't take it in salary and SBC do not impose the 'commercial' rates of interest agreed.

No wonder Rikki Hunt has become my salesman of the year.  No other contenders!!

Actually, according to Charley Morgan's article in todays (Parer Edition) Advertiser, Mr Hunt has told her that he has about 40 registered subscribers.

Starting to look like Mr Hunt has more definitions for customers than he has actual customers.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »
Surely with such a small number he could be or specific... its not hundreds or thousands, i woudl liek to bet he was very specific about how much Rod was give lend him?

Can we assume about 40 means it coud be anywhere from 35 to 45?

Its all  abit 'shrodingers cat' for Rikki isn't it, an unknown qualitiy until he looks? Is he expecting mass resgistering at any moment?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »
Found ten of them.

Virginia Dare
Ambrose Bierce
Anastasia Romanov
The Lindbergh Baby
Amelia Earhart
Frank Morris and John and Clarence Anglin
D.B. Cooper
Abbie Hoffman
Oscar Zeta Acosta
Jimmy Hoffa

You can thank me later.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
Found ten of them....

Good point, I reckon not one name on that list is likely to deny being a paying customer of Digital City.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »
But the most interesting aspect of the Adver article is that they may just have realised the merits of actually reporting this Wi-fi saga in asking 'where is ours?'

Have they finally realised that in a very thin Saturday edition this may increase sales and maybe it is no longer an option to be the Council's mouthpiece if they are to survive in this hard economic climate?

Would love to have been a fly on the wall to watch Rikki in action with Boris.  He will have to get up early to get an order from the present Mayor of London.

and one final point is our Rod looking for a new career beyond politics?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »

Speaking of the press, contacts in the local media tell me that Mr Hunt appears to be gearing up for a frenzy of activity in Mid August.  I expect this will centre around news that new 'interest' in the scheme has been shown, by which I also mean 'new funding has been obtained'.   Swindon Borough Council remains tight-lipped although I'm told there's a lot of nervous buttock-clenching still going on around the WiFi'asco.

It's certainly beginning to look that way. First the BCS article, now another puff in the Adver. Seems Mr Hunt and Mr Bluh have been visiting London (at our expense, I presume).

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8332274.Boris_learns_more_about_Swindon_s_wi_fi_experiences/

Mr Hunt's ability for marketing abject failure as success really is quite astounding.

One of the interesting things is that the Government has been paying a lot of attention to Swindon because of what we have achieved in Highworth, which is a better product and a better speed of internet in a rural location, which isn’t being achieved anywhere else in the country at the moment.

Well with £½M of our money that was meant to have been enough to fit-out the whole borough with wi-fi, rather than just one small rural town, it damn well ought to be 'a better product'. :tickedoff:

The Adver article also gives us yet another figure for the number of subscribers: 40.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »
and one final point is our Rod looking for a new career beyond politics?

Yes he is. "Turn again Tricky Ricki Whittingdon" not quite Lord Mayor of Swindon but watch your back Boris he could be after your job!
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »
The adver article has now appeared on the internet version of the paper, but I spoke too soon about them starting to report 'facts' because they have not included the comments section.

Sorry folks this was a false dawn and the adver sadly remains incapable of actually reporting what is actually happening here.

and one final point a comment attributed to a well known politician 'Every town is judged by the quality of its Newspaper.'

So what does that say about Swindon?