Author Topic: Only 63 Days A Member, nicking hospitals and misleading Parliament already?  (Read 7421 times)

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
I've heard he's struggling up in london and regarded as something resembling gollum or a village idiot
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
I can only comment on my experiences of Justin

Until I was made redundant from SBC, I always found Justin to be a very effective, he worked with me many times to get his constituents problems sorted as an MP and before that as a councillor .

I think it's too early for a new MP to prove how effective he going to be. My experience of him is that he does what he says he will do, which is so different from so many people nowadays.

I would assume it's a very steep learning curve.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
I think it's too early for a new MP to prove how effective he going to be. My experience of him is that he does what he says he will do, which is so different from so many people nowadays.

I think Richard makes a very fair point.  New MPs have to hit the ground at speed. Having visited the Commons to meet Justin I can only say that he appears to have got his bearings together remarkably quickly.  Both he and Robert have a steep learning curve just to learn the archane ways in which Parliament works (no different from SBC there - as i found out when attempting to ask a question at the last planning meeting!! Thanks to Dale Heenan i avoided making a complete prat of myself.

I have besieged Justin with letters on issues both local and national, everyone has been dealt with efficiently and speedily (he had a class act to follow in MW in that respect).

I also impressed with how Robert and Justin are working together - sharing out work where the issues warrant it.  For example Robert leads on the Mechanics for all swindon residents - a logical move which ensures concentration of effort.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
I have always had responses from any emails I have sent to Justin and Rob. They do work well together and may not always agree, but they do respect one another and that does come across, well it always has in any dealings that I have had with them both.

They do work hard and I agree with Richard and Des in that they have had and are still in the process of a very steep learning curve.

Credit where credit is due, they appear to be working hard and respond to emails promptly, and in my experience, acting on them.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Ringer

I also impressed with how Robert and Justin are working together - sharing out work where the issues warrant it.  For example Robert leads on the Mechanics for all swindon residents - a logical move which ensures concentration of effort.

He should do its in his constituency now I know Justin claimed the Hospital was in his but Robert knows Coate is his and the Mechanics.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

robert feal-martinez

Let me first declare an interest, Justin is a friend of mine, that said it does not stop me criticising him both publicly and privately.

For his part he expects that. I have frequent contact with him over constituency matters, and matters concerning my Industry and he works extremely hard to address the issues I raise. I have received a number of letters from his Ministerial colleagues generated from enquiries from me to Justin.

He personally where ever possible answers his own emails, something our previous MP never did. I have watched his performance in the house on quite a few occasions and as has been said by Geoff I have offered comment both favourable and otherwise.

I do not however see the point in making posts simply based on semantics. All in all it is my honest opinion for some one who your could never describe as a career politician Justin, as with Rob has done extremely well. Whether the Coalition Government has is a whole different question.

Don't forget Swindon 105.5 tomorrow at 10am, I am looking forward to debating with the opposition parties. We will be discussing Wind Farms, Solar Farms, SBC's 50 promises and I'm sure UKIP. It could be described as the real local politics. :fence:

Offline Ringer

I do not however see the point in making posts simply based on semantics. All in all it is my honest opinion for some one who your could never describe as a career politician Justin, as with Rob has done extremely well. Whether the Coalition Government has is a whole different question.

So do you think both of them are accidental MPs? When Justin became uncontested Conservative Futures Chair a bit like Howard and Brown were uncontested then that was completely accidental and nothing to do with political career? If uncontested then like Howard and Brown was it a coronation?

Adver 23/8/02 Elected chairman
Justin Tomlinson (Con, Abbey Meads) has been elected national Chairman of the Young Conservatives, now renamed Conservative Future.

He said he was delighted to be chosen particularly because it was an uncontested election a first in the Conservatives' history. He said he is now eager to work with the 10,000 members nationwide and start to get more people involved.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/archive/2002/08/23/Wiltshire+Archive/7341761.Elected_chairman/

Here is another
  Adver 24/08/02 Mr Tomlinson, the councillor for Abbey Meads said: "I really hope to become an MP one day. At my age I'm already quite a way ahead of schedule, so it's looking good.

"The Sun newspaper placed a bet on me becoming PM within 40 years. £1 million is riding on it.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/archive/2002/08/24/Wiltshire+Archive/7341746.Is_this_the_man_who_will_be_the_next_Tory_PM_

As for Bob he started in Wales in the 1990s but that is another story. I am not sure the definition of a career politician as it may be samantics so Rob  your view that they are not career politicians, but have just done well is ok by me. As for the coalition government you are dead right on that one; itis a whole different question.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

robert feal-martinez

A career politician in my opinion is someone who has nothing else since leaving school, college or University. Just has run his own marketing business and Rob is a Barrister, and has practised at the bar.

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
A career politician in my opinion is someone who has nothing else since leaving school, college or University. Just has run his own marketing business and Rob is a Barrister, and has practised at the bar.

I should qualify then. I've marketed stuff from the back of a van and many, many years ago I practiced at the bar but now I can order my Guinness perfectly. ( Other brands of stout are available)  :coolsmiley:

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !

I should qualify then. I've marketed stuff from the back of a van and many, many years ago I practiced at the bar but now I can order my Guinness perfectly. ( Other brands of stout are available)  :coolsmiley:

Damn you stole my line.....

Offline Ringer

MPs are they all just Wannabe Ministers or is it only Career Ones?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »
Like most things in politics any defination is open to interpretation and not everyone will agree, but hey ho thats politics for you I suppose?  Is there an inverted or overtly attached snobbery to career politicians? Therefore are you more of a non career politician if you worked in a coal mine? Or is this a bid by politicians to show they are in touch with the people? Sounds to me like some career politicians and non career politicians  MPs if not the majority of all MPs are possibly wannabe ministers secret lemonade drinkers? :popcorn: