Author Topic: Only 63 Days A Member, nicking hospitals and misleading Parliament already?  (Read 7584 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Also blogged here: http://www.geoffreid.com/?p=432

63 days after being elected to represent North Swindon, Justin Tomlinson MP has either moved Swindon's 75,000 ton Great Western Hospital or unilaterally decided to annexe part of the South Swindon Constituency for himself.

Perhaps it was the sight of Claire Perry, MP for Devises , batting her eyelashes at him that spurred him into boasting about the 'size of his constituency', but whatever the reason for saying it, I'm pretty sure that the Great Western Hospital is actually deep inside Robert Buckland's South Swindon constituency.

Here's the deed, done during Claire Perry's 'Minor Injuries Services, (Devises)', Westminster hall debate last Tuesday:

Quote from: Justin Tomlinson
    "I thank my hon. Friend for giving way in this crucial debate that she has secured for Wiltshire residents. I want to highlight a concern that supports her specific point about public transport. When the Great Western hospital in Swindon was set up in my constituency, there was an emphasis on green travel, so there was a limit on parking provision. The residents of Devizes who are sent to Swindon almost invariable come by car, and there simply is not adequate parking provision."

Whoops!  Perhaps, (as my Westminster Moles are hinting), Justin should spend less time sniffing around the ankles of the local talent and more time engaging mind with mouth instead of exaggerating the size of his small constituency to lady members.

I'm not surprised to see Justins mate and former UKIP bloke,  Robert Feal Martinez,  popping onto www.theyworkforyou.com to post another in a long line of comments, (he's often there telling the MP's how to run the country),  but I was surprised that he failed to notice that a spot of Hospital blagging had gone on under his nose.   Perhaps even an 'Old Coppers' nose for bullshit is eventually destroyed from hanging out with politicians?

Should Tomlinson apologise to the house, or is my local geography as shaky as Rod Bluh's grip on the councils finances?

Hat Tip: To Talkswindon's 'Fido' for picking this up and fetching it all the way back to Talkswindon for us: http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=6100.msg40399#msg40399

Offline Richard Symonds

Geoff you will be pleased to hear that the Great Western Hospital is well and truly in the Constituency of Swindon South the MP for which, when I last looked, was a certain Robert Buckland.  I have consulted the irefutable oracle in the form of a constituency map held by me when a friend was considering running in the North.  Now that should tickle your fancy?

If Justin Tomlinson is having so much difficulty with his Geography I am suprised he found his way to the Palace of Westminster.

I wonder what Robert B makes of all this?  Still he seems to be just getting on with the job and the first impressions are very favourable.

Anyway more to the point what exactly was JT trying to achieve in this debate?  It looks like an intervention for intervention sakes to me!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
I don't like the tory party any more than the next far-left anarchist eco-warrior does. But I have some respect for Robert Buckland (can't really comment on Justin Tomlinson yet).

I understand from the networks that I'm involved with that they are setting up a shared constituency office for North and South Swindon. An article in Swindon Link confirms this.

I hope SwindonLinkMan will forgive me for reposting his content here.

Quote from: http://www.swindonlink.com/news/swindon-mps-open-town-centre-office-
Swindon’s two Conservative MPs have opened a new joint constituency office in central Swindon.

Robert Buckland and Justin Tomlinson are sharing office premises and staff to make the most efficient use of public money, and it’s in a central location to make it as accessible as possible.

The office is in a prominent location between the town centre and the Railway Village, and opposite one of Swindon’s most well-known landmarks – the historic Milton Road Baths.

Justin Tomlinson MP (North Swindon) said, “Robert and I decided very early on that we wanted a joint office, sharing staff and cutting costs. And the central location means getting here will be easy for as many residents as possible”.

Robert Buckland MP (South Swindon) said, “Having this joint office forms part of the ‘Team Swindon’ approach that Justin and I are championing. It’s a very prominent location almost on the boundary of north and south Swindon”.

The address is 1 Milton Road, Swindon, SN1 5JE; the telephone number is (01793) 53 33 93.

The office hours are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, with visitors welcome from 10am to 3pm each day.

The office is on the first floor but there is a lift, and disabled facilities are on the ground floor.

Contact the MPs via:
justin.tomlinson.mp@parliament.uk
robert.buckland.mp@parliament.uk

www.swindonconservatives.com

So, Robert and Justin, do you both consider all of Swindon to be your collective constituency?

And would you act on a letter or email from a constituent who lives in the other half of Swindon for which you're not officially responsible?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Or is it that Justin feels he is MP for Swindon and Robert is the teaboy, like Cameroon and Cleggie?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
As per my posting in another topic, I am afraid this was simply just that nerves got the better of me.  I was meant to say 'the Great Western Hospital that serves my constituency'  :embarassed:

Yes Rob and I have a shared office and staff in Westminster and in Swindon.

I believe there should be an article in the Swindon Advertiser on this today, as the Swindon office is now up and running properly.

To us it made sense to work together, and we do get on well, with different interests and experiences which comes together nicely.  It also has allowed us to get a more accessible Swindon office (as many people who need to meet with us rely on public transport, so Milton Road works really well) and by pooling resources we have saved quite a bit of money.

Obviously we will deal with our own individual casework, but the issues Rob and I are trying to get involved in Westminster are split so between us we can cover more ground.

As with all things we will need to review and reflect, but I would happily meet with anyone to show you how we are working etc. 

Offline Bobby Bingo

Quote  "It also has allowed us to get a more accessible Swindon office (as many people who need to meet with us rely on public transport"
How long before you have to move because the bus routes have been changed.
One question. How does a disabled person from Penhill get to your office, and do not say by Dial a Ride?
Bobby

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
Quote  "It also has allowed us to get a more accessible Swindon office (as many people who need to meet with us rely on public transport"
How long before you have to move because the bus routes have been changed.
One question. How does a disabled person from Penhill get to your office, and do not say by Dial a Ride?

Milton Road is a lot easier to get to from the bus station than Little London Court (no hill to climb).

You might as well ask, "How does a disabled person get from Fleming Way (where the Penhill bus drops off) to Wharf Green (where House of Fraser is, and only a short perambulate to no.1 Milton Road)."
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

I was just about to answer Justin - public transport thing, but I see other have worked out that one half of Justin's consituency (dare I say the more affluent half, the half that will drive their cars?)  the other half will have to walk though town from Fleming Way.   Never mind the disabled - what about them that are just plain getting old (I put myself in that category).

Having said that, the office is for both MP's and both sets of constituents are more or less will have the same distances and problems getting to it.  In reality most will phone or email and it does make sense they share an office.

You could say that there is a free bus pass for most of those in the getting old and disabled groups who need to get two maybe three buses to get to Milton Road. How long for?  And in the Adver this morning if you haven't get a bus pass there are dire warnings of massive bus fare rises.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Muggins

FYI - there is no bus stop in Milton Road!

Just one in Faringdon Road nearby. Several buses stop in Farnsbry Street, but I can't figure out whether they go to Fleming Way first - I think not.
i.e. they use that route on their way back from Northern development etc.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
FYI - there is no bus stop in Milton Road!

Just one in Faringdon Road nearby. Several buses stop in Farnsbry Street, but I can't figure out whether they go to Fleming Way first - I think not.
i.e. they use that route on their way back from Northern development etc.

Yep, as far as I know all the buses serving Farnsby Street do so on their way from North and West Swindon into the town centre.

I think there may be a case here for a town centre bus route going round Fleming Way - Fleet Street - Farnsby Street - Commercial Road - Princes Street - Fleming Way

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
IMHO I think the MP’s deserve a bit of praise for having some joined up thinking on this and having a joint office. :clap:

Being in the town centre the office is a lot more central than either of our former MP’s offices and to set the record straight.

Michael Will’s had offices 1st in the Pinehurst People’s centre. How many buses did that take to get to Muggins – even if you got the then No 10 bus (now the infamous 21) it was nearly as long a walk from the circle as it is from Fleming way. He then moved his office to Rodbourne in a totally inaccessible place for most of his constituents needing public transport.

Julia Drown’s office was situated on Bath Road, at the junction with Victoria Road. Quite easy to access from the Vic Road bus stop but the offices themselves were at the top of some very steep stairs and totally unsuitable with no lift. Little London Court, just round the corner a little more accessible but again for those who rely on public transport, not a dissimilar problem to that which some are now complaining about with the joint MP’s office.

It’s great to see Justin back on here, even though we all know he must be pretty busy getting to grips with what is a new role.

Did TS ever see Michael Wills on it’s pages? And just how much engagement did TS’er get from Anne Snelgrove -  I see just 1 post.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
It’s great to see Justin back on here, even though we all know he must be pretty busy getting to grips with what is a new role.

Did TS ever see Michael Wills on it’s pages? And just how much engagement did TS’er get from Anne Snelgrove -  I see just 1 post.

Got to heartily second that  :clap:

In our haste to hold our MPs up to scrutiny and challenge, let all make sure we're also ready to recognise their successes and their willingness to engage.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

I think it's a great idea that they share an office and that it's central.  So 10 out of 10 for that, and I would not have commented further apart from Justin's claim it was on a bus route.........just pointing out it's not exactly the be all and end all for those this side of  the consituency, but a step in the right direction.  As it happens, I never had to go to Michael's office (as far as I can remember). I always used the phone or email and then usually addressed it to his parliament address, without exception I always received a  prompt answer.  Michael was on our email list at his request. for info. Mostly minutes and annual reports but got all the groth as well, on occasion he sent remarks so he or someone must have read them!

However the No  21 would take me as close to the People's Centre as I can get to Justin's office.  (and at that time it was every half an hour).

BTW, if it was community thing we could usually rely on Michael to come to us - even if he was notoriously late!   

Justin will be getting an invitation to our Community Open Day on Saturday 11th September, this is when we showcase what's on for the community, by the community - it would fit in with Camerons Big Society!
If he likes he can bring Robert, we welcome anyone who takes an interest.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

In our haste to hold our MPs up to scrutiny and challenge, let all make sure we're also ready to recognise their successes and their willingness to engage.

Oh yes, absolutely....but there is always time for a piss-take or two along the way. 

I'm pleased to see Robert immediately getting to grips with some heavy stuff and somehow finding the time to blog about it here: http://www.robertbuckland.co.uk/  I think he's started well and will do well in Parliament despite being part of a coalition government which is apparently destined to be more unwelcome than Harold Shipman opening a nursing home fete.   

For the record: 

Michael Wills flatly refused several invitations to pass comment on various TS threads, (I was looking for the emails - so I could ref what the threads were about- but haven't found them as yet).

Anne Snelgrove made 1 post here in her time as MP for South Swindon but I wouldn't be surprised if she is selected, (and wanted to stand in Swindon again), if she reappeared at some point.

RB and JT and streets ahead on the TS engagement index. At the moment.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
I agree with the comments made regarding Justin's engagement via TS- I felt very encouraged that he put a very human perspective on life as an MP, if I had a hat, I'd tip it.

Great to see joined up thinking- who could have suspected that there may be some common sense employed, my estimation of Thatchers' children is very slightly higher. Not to the point where I fantasise about the future being warm and fluffy, but a tad higher.  :)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
BTW, if it was community thing we could usually rely on Michael to come to us - even if he was notoriously late!   

Which Michael Wills ALWAYS WAS. In fact I never knew an event that I attended where he actually turned up on time (the academy bus meeting in Penhill was the last in a long line) and I always found this very disrespectful. It’s like it didn’t matter that he was late and always had an excuse which we knew was BS.

Offline Muggins

Yes, I would agree Geoff, however I find that lateness is a fault of a few people I know, and those not in the position of an MP  i.e. a lot less likely to get waylaid on their way. 

But there again, one expects better behaviour of an MP, the higher up the pole you get the more expectation there is on you.

Usually once he arrived we had 'quality' time rather than just 'quantity'.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Eh?

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
I think she meant to say "Boggy"  :2funny:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Justins 'reputation' in the Westminster Village is not thriving, I am semi-reliably informed via local contacts.

I'm told he recently appeared at a select committee and didn't 'come across' to the committee well at all.