Author Topic: Where does the plastic end up?  (Read 3655 times)

Offline scanfer

• Hello !
Where does the plastic end up?
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »
Now Swindon is recycling lots of plastic- where does it ultimately all end up?

I'd like to think that next week's milk will be packaged in last weeks plastic - am I being too cynical to think otherwise?

Simon

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
Re: Where does the plastic end up?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:43:39 PM »
Good question, when I saw the recent programme about the great Pacific Garbage Patch ( and there's an Atlantic one too) - more information  at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch   - I must admit the question crossed my mind too.

It would be very reassuring to know that it is being dealt with responsibly.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
If I was going to have my next weeks milk packaged in this week container I would rather it were glass, actually it is!

Wouldn't it be nearly impossible to get the plastic containers clean enough?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:00:30 AM »
If I was going to have my next weeks milk packaged in this week container I would rather it were glass, actually it is!

:clap:

RE-USE, DON'T RECYCLE (and incidentally, support your milkman who's employed locally - and who more than likely sources his milk locally too)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »
I do, I do, I do. :angel:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
Plastic bottles do get recycled, Cravendale use recycled plastics.

It's not 100% but the Dairy industry is market leader. 
They do use a lot of plastic, but if you think about it plastic should actually be as recyclable as paper wood.
People in the west view it as rubbish and so do councils.

I've asked and SBC just say its sold.  Who to?   
I seriously suspect it’s sold to a shipping company that sends it to China/Bangladesh.

Being a Google head and a bit Green I have been following this type of tech, where plastics become ‘valuable’ rather than rubbish.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/alumni/knowledge/engineering/recycling/

I have heard that Warwick University’s technology transfer arm; Warwick Ventures are looking for possible projects.

Perhaps SBC could look at a pilot project with them, perhaps maybe with another company like this one?
http://www.entsorgung-niederrhein.de/leistungen/wertstoffe/sekundaerbrennstoffe/

I bet some one is going to say good idea, BUT as is typical TS..
Yes it is a rubbish idea.   :uglystupid2: 
BUT a working one for some people in Uganda.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/30/uganda-fuel-from-waste-michael

It's going to be a better and better idea as petrol keeps getting more expensive.
I'd like to see SCS workers drive round in rubbish fuelled vans..

How about rubbish trucks fuelled by what they collect?
… and if they hit 70mph..
Well let the future deal with it.

:spin:

Offline PAV

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
Or they could turn them (back) into oil:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/02/turn-your-bags-and-bottles-into-oil/

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
Interestingly enough, there isn't as much oil on plastics as some people think, welly boots use about 16 different grades and mixtures of oil aswell as some other components.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
Wellies are more gummi or rubber than plastic.
Which like tyres don't degrade..

but it's been found out tyres and other rubber products do decompose using pyrolisis.
The process the Ugandans are using...

They actually sort the rubbish and use rubber to produce longer hydrocarbon chain fuel.
Plastic PET bottles and other plastics are usually shorter chains and make sort of bio fuel.

Once hydrocarbon chains are broken they are not easy to combine into longer chains without adding a lot of energy.

There are people working on doing that too.
Splitting H2O into H and O2 then mixing H with CO or CO2 and creating the same sort of Bio Fuel using Solar Furnaces and temp.s of 2000+ 'C.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »
Wellies are more gummi or rubber than plastic.

I'm sorry but I dis-agree, wellies are made from a softer grade PVC Compund, rest of your post was cracking. Good read
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."