Author Topic: Lamplighters18a: Information Request - Musical Chairs for Scrutiny?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Francoise De Lampe

• Oui, nous pouvons !
  • Francoise et sa lanterne magique !

Franscoise hears of gnashed teeth, tense conversations and hurried telephone calls in the Civic Offices this afternoon. 

She understands that the Leader of the Council does not want Councillor Derique Montaut occupying the Chair of the Scrutiny committee in 2010, although Cllr Montaut has told friends in the Conservative group that he wishes to remain.

Councillors in other groups are being offered the Chair, which comes with a £4,000 (approx) annual allowance, Franscoise does not yet know if any are prepared to accept the position, she is told that the previous behaviour of the leader of the council towards the current chair of scrutiny is uppermost on councillors minds when they consider accepting the position.

Franscoise has heard the same term: 'Poison Chalice', in no fewer than 3 separate 'Chair of Scrutiny' conversations today.

Please tell Franscoise what all of us wish to know! - leaks@talkswindon.org 

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Sorry, not much new information from me, (most of my attention is on my Dad this week), apart from saying that an email which arrived at my Blackberry earlier now makes complete sense, so thank you!

I'm suffering a curious sense of Deja Vú though..... because, about years and 10 months ago I said:

Quote from: Geoff Reid
".....Which would explain rumours of angry dissent amongst the Labour group at Swindon Borough Council.

But why would Councillor Glaholms resignation cause anger amongst the Labour group....surely they would be overtly pleased at this?

Well, I seem to remember 43 Conservative Councillors voting for the appointment of the only independant councillor to the chair of scrutiny and the Labour group voting against in their entirety and Des Moffat making a pretty definitive statement which promised a policy of non co-operation with the Conservative group regarding further appointments to the chair.

I also seem to remember Councillor Small removing Councillor 'Side Show Bob' Wright from his chairmanship of the Licencing committee and taking the position for himself......which evidently would have softened the £4,000 knock his finances suffered when he lost the chair of scrutiny.

Then Councillor Small accused Councillor Glaholm of taking the position 'for personal gain'.

The fuss in the council chamber died down quite quickly, but Councillor Glaholm barely had time to distribute his new found wealth along Manchester road before he was nabbed for kerb crawling a second time and forced to reconsider his position.

The Labour group moved quickly to issue a press release distancing themselves from Cllr Glaholm.

So, what happens next.....and who will become the next chair of scrutiny and why are the Labour group so agitated about it?

When we have the answers to those questions, we will understand why certain members of the Labour group are as angry as wasps.....

.....anyone care to make a prediction or two ? "

I wonder if Rod Bluh is now reaping the bitter harvest grown from the seeds sown almost three years ago when he,  conspiring with his micro-cabinet, hammered through a change in the Councils Constitution which enabled him to manipulate the Chair of scrutiny for political gain.

If so, you certainly do reap what you sow.  Considering the appalling way Bluh bullied, threatened and manipulated Councillor Montaut during his last stint as the Chair of Scrutiny, for just doing what he was supposed to do as the Chair of Scrutiny,  it will either be a complete Bluh sock-puppet that takes his place or somebody able to resist Bluh's 'cHarm'.

I can't honestly see Bluh willingly putting an effective chair in place, i.e, someone immune to his brand of 'leadership'.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !

The next question is to ask who will be the next Chair of Scrutiny?

KSmall

Brian Mattock – Former Director of Housing at SBC now cabinet member for it, maybe a good move.

Peter Mallinson - will he rein in the overspend in Adult services and if so HOW and WHERE will the hatchet fall. (grapevine says MB replacing PM as Health scrutiny chair)

Watching….

Offline Francoise De Lampe

• Oui, nous pouvons !
  • Francoise et sa lanterne magique !

Bogomil wins!

Kevin Small is new chair of Scrutiny committee, Derique Montaut described as looking 'Dumbstruck'.

Nick Martin vice chair of Scrutiny Committee and also has full Chairmanship of another committee which Franscoise believes to be the 'Economic, Environmental and Sustainability Overview and Scrutiny Committee' - This carries a considerable annual "Special Responsibilities" allowance.

Offline Bobby Bingo

Monty surprised?
This was cut and dried at a labour group meeting last night. Nick Martin is not the only one getting some extra cash, Mrs. Tomlinson has also been given a few bob. She is Chair of Licensing with a special responsibilty allowance of £4,253.15 plus £7,710.17 basic allowance.
Almost £12K a year. Not a bad little earner eh Teaboy?
Bobby

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
Monty surprised?
This was cut and dried at a labour group meeting last night.

Didn’t really have a lot of choice did they?

After being told that Monty would NOT be allowed the chair of Scrutiny the Labour Group were faced with a fait accompli, either accept Kevin Small or the Tories would put in someone else. This way they kept the chair witin the Labour Group.

Kevin certainly had a small spring back in is step yesterday.  :banana:
He’ll probably see this as the start of his fight back to the leadership.

Offline Bobby Bingo

I believe it was the responsibility allowance that put the spring in his step rather than his "political fightback"
Bobby

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Monty surprised?
This was cut and dried at a labour group meeting last night.

Franky described Monty as being 'Dumbstruck'.... Right!?  :)

Offline Richard Symonds

I believe it was the responsibility allowance that put the spring in his step rather than his "political fightback"

You know the thing that worries about all these Politicians Bobby is that they always act selflessly and in the best interests of Swindon.  Or do they?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Monty surprised?
This was cut and dried at a labour group meeting last night. Nick Martin is not the only one getting some extra cash, Mrs. Tomlinson has also been given a few bob. She is Chair of Licensing with a special responsibilty allowance of £4,253.15 plus £7,710.17 basic allowance.
Almost £12K a year. Not a bad little earner eh Teaboy?

Gissa job.......

Thats just less than council gardener gets and they work a 37 hours week (42 in the summer).....

which is 1924 hours a year. How many council meetings is that? how long does a licensing meeting take?

Bet that helps pay the mortgage
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Lamplighters18a: Information Request - Musical Chairs for Scrutiny?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »
With Osbourne cutting back nationally I wonder if our inovative Council will get rid of unecessary committees as well and instigate pay cuts for its Members?

After all Cameron wants to run the country like a Local Council.

Cart before the horse again!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 11:12:27 AM »

Yes and this lot would forget to feed the horse

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »

Yes and this lot would forget to feed the horse

So definately no one to pull the cart then!!

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
With Osbourne cutting back nationally I wonder if our inovative Council will get rid of unecessary committees as well and instigate pay cuts for its Members?

Nope… more committees and more quangos

And more “Special Responsibility” payments too for the chosen few I have no doubts.

Should be just up your street...

Just remember it was labours change in the licensing rules that meant the local council had to have a licensing committee for drinks licensing.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
No Bogomil I am not talking about more 'special responsibilities' I am talking about less.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
maybe you are but everytime they put extra on the local councils the local Tories have increased these payments

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »
Just a minute there, getting rid of extra committees and quango's probably means they will see that the first to go will be the ones we're on.  No hope of having a stronger voice then............ :tickedoff:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)