Author Topic: Is Brown about to stand down?  (Read 3999 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Is Brown about to stand down?
« on: May 09, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »

Is Brown flying back to London to stand down as leader of the Labour party?

If this is the case, is it because:

Tory Grandees like Malcolm Rifkind are saying there won't be a LibCon coalition   (Just tweeted by Kevin Maguire)

Con MP grandee Malcolm Rifkind told Piercey and me on our LBC show he doesn't think there'll be a Cam-Clegg coalition.

And the Liberals have hinted that they could work with Labour, Plaid and the SNP in a Rainbow coalition but only without Brown as PM?

On the Tory side, if Cameron unilaterally does a deal with Clegg without reference to the other 306 Tory mp's, it looks like Cameron really does intend to run the country like a Tory Council and he's going to use Bluh's Micro-Autocracy as his template.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Re: Is Brown about to stand down?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if they're playing with semantics....the Lib Dems and the Tories may still work together but not as 'a coalition' and may go for some sort of non aggression pact.  I would also question what value Brown standing down now would do, surely that would throw open more questions.

Labour rules mean that they take some time to find a new leader and this could result in ongoing uncertainty for a long time.  If I were a Lib Dem I would be reluctant to discuss working with any party without knowing who their leadership was, after all, it is the leadership that will decide on their ongoing strategy.

He may well be about to step down, but whether that's connected to the Lib Dem and Tory talks is another question altogether.  He may be planning to do so more to save face than for the good of the country.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:29:54 PM »
Our local Lib/Dems are quiet.
Come Dave Wood what is your opinion?
HARRISON   are you so engrossed in eliminating Spec Savers you can't be bothered.
I know you no longer contribute to this site but I would bet a King's ransom you still read it.                     s
Bobby

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »

I expect the Local Lib Dems are already reflecting on their 'success' in Penhill.

Shall we run a sweep stake on how long it will be before Cllr Harrison demands to lead the Swindon Lib Dems and flounces off to the Tories when he can't get his own way?  ;D

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »

I can't see Brown standing down before he has to.  But whose to say.

Shall we run a sweep stake on how long it will be before Cllr Harrison demands to lead the Swindon Lib Dems and flounces off to the Tories when he can't get his own way?  ;D

I'm in for a 'never'.  Forget how well I know Andy, I've just seen enough to know any prediction on here is worth a wager.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
Brown has never known when he is not wanted. I think it is his defining trait.

To be fair, it is a defining trait of politicians generally isn't it?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Brown has never known when he is not wanted. I think it is his defining trait.

To be fair, it is a defining trait of politicians generally isn't it?

Thinking about this in a particular direction I'd say the local evidence says otherwise.  A few years back when the Tories were on the up there was something of an exodus from other parties to them.  Would it be too cynical to suggest that this was councillors realising that the electorial didn't want them under their then party colours?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »

I can't see Brown standing down before he has to.  But whose to say.

I'm in for a 'never'.  Forget how well I know Andy, I've just seen enough to know any prediction on here is worth a wager.

I know hAndy very well too  ;)
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »

What would your bet be?

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »
Thinking about this in a particular direction I'd say the local evidence says otherwise.  A few years back when the Tories were on the up there was something of an exodus from other parties to them.  Would it be too cynical to suggest that this was councillors realising that the electorial didn't want them under their then party colours?
There's a difference between a politician realising their party is stuffed and doing a runner to t'other side (without changing their political viewpoint), and realising that they are personally not wanted. With Mr Brown it's the latter.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »

What would your bet be?

Well I can say that anything is possible, and knowing Andy as I do- I will say that he likes a challenge, is very very competitive and I think you may find that he will be quite competitive not just as Penhill's ward Councillor, but also within the Libdem party its self.
He is the chair on several groups in Penhill, and it wont stop there  ;)
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »
There's a difference between a politician realising their party is stuffed and doing a runner to t'other side (without changing their political viewpoint), and realising that they are personally not wanted. With Mr Brown it's the latter.

That's what I meant, you just put it better.

I think it is why in more excitable countries (The Rest of The World) politicians, leaders in the main, sometimes end up strapped to a post, or dangling from street furniture with a surprised expression on their faces. It must be a shock when you find a nation you convinced yourself adored you in fact means you considerable and lasting harm.

In fact, I bet our poltical leaders enjoy a very competitive premature mortality rate. There's a subject for a history student to play with.

Tht's cos we is civilised.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.