Author Topic: A hung parliament - what does it mean for Swindon's politicians?  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: A hung parliament - what does it mean for Swindon's politicians?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
As an outsider looking in, the impression I got was that her party had abandoned her cause before the campaign started.

I think Labour fought an air-war and cyber war in Swindon-North and just a ground-war in Swindon South.  Swindon South also appeared to have more activists on the ground than the Lib Dems, (Shortly to be called the LibCons ?), and Tories could muster combined.

Haven't had chance to reflect on the figures yet, did an increased 'tactical' vote for the Lib Dems scupper Snelgrove?

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »
Speaking to a labour councillor yesterday I learned that the local labour team supporting Anne are absolutely shocked by the outcome of the election
This puzzles me. Her majority in 2005 was small - smaller than Mr Wills' majority in North Swindon and something that a small swing to the blues would wipe away, unless there were very big local factors in her favour. The online campaigning from Labour was all for Mr Agarwal. Ms Snelgrove seemed forgotten. As an outsider looking in, the impression I got was that her party had abandoned her cause before the campaign started.

Upon reflection, I don't think the word shocked was used, however he did describe some members of her team as being in mourning......As someone who has been a vocal critic of her approach as an MP, I suspect that it wasn't just Anne that had selective hearing, perhaps her team did as well    :-\  It's even possible that as the people with their ear to the ground and who opened, prioritised and responded to her mail, they have more responsibility for her defeat than they realise.  If they cushioned Anne from her critics, she may not have known the strength of feeling on some issues.  Who knows?.....

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
Haven't had chance to reflect on the figures yet, did an increased 'tactical' vote for the Lib Dems scupper Snelgrove?

Increase in Lib Dem vote was less than 1000. UKIP was up by over 1000 and Green down by 600. So I don't think tactical voting had any greater disadvantageous effect on Ms Snelgrove than last time. (Figures from wikipedia.)
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c