Author Topic: Swindon South & North - General Election Results  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Swindon South & North - General Election Results
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
Swindon South

The seat of Swindon was held by Labour almost continuously from 1945 until 1983, when it was won by the Conservatives. The Tories then increased their majority at each election until 1997 when the Swindon seat was split into two seats: North and South Swindon - both of which were taken by Labour. Julia Drown won the seat for Labour in 1997 and she increased the Labour vote by almost 5% in 2001, but retired in 2005. She was succeeded by Anne Snelgrove, who held the seat with a reduced majority of 1,353.

Boundary changes for this constituency mean it will lose part-wards Blunsdon and Covingham and Nythe to North Swindon.

Robert Buckland      Conservative                   19,687     +4.9%  Majority    3,544
Anne Snelgrove      Labour                          16,143    -6.2%
Damon Hooton       Liberal Democrat            8,305    +0.6%
Robin Tingey            UK Independence Party    2,029    +2.1%
Jenni Miles            Green                               619    -1.6%
Alastair Kirk             Christian Party               176    +0.4%
Karsten Evans          Independent                       160    +0.3%

Turnout    47,119    64.9%    +5.9%

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:14:26 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Swindon South & North - General Election Results
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »

Michael Wills was selected as Labour candidate in the 1997 general election, and he won the seat with a 7% swing and a majority of 7,688. He successfully defended the seat in 2001 and 2005, although his majority declined to 2,571.

Under boundary changes for this election, North Swindon loses Cricklade ward to North Wiltshire but gains small parts of the wards of Blunsdon and Covingham, and Nythe from South Swindon.

Justin Tomlinson      Conservative                    22,408     +5.7%   Majority 7,060
Victor Agarwal             Labour                           15,348    -14.6%
Jane Lock             Liberal Democrat             8,668    +4.4%
Stephen Halden    UK Independence Party    1,842    +1.4%
Reginald Bates    British National Party    1,542    +3.1%
Bill Hughes            Green                               487    +1.0%   

Turnout    50,295    64.2%    +3.4%

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 05:09:48 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 06:41:08 AM »
new content @#1

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 07:49:18 AM »
A victory for apathy... 1/3 of voters didn't bother
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
Trouble is that 2/3's did! 

I expect that other 1/3 are those transient people for which Swindon is so famous. 

Like it or not congratualtions must go to Justbert.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »

A victory for apathy... 1/3 of voters didn't bother

True, but a majority did vote, and that's got to be better than the numbers being reversed ?

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:18 PM »
True, but a majority did vote, and that's got to be better than the numbers being reversed ?

Yes, increased turnout is a good thing generally. Although it depends somewhat who the people were who voted this time but stayed at home last time.

Are they the sort of thoughtful people who debate the issues on sites like this, or are they the sort who get their world view from the words put into the mouths of page 3 models?

:-\
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 08:59:43 AM »
I am afraid there are those sort of people Simon, and I've given this some thought this election and a few before.   

There is nothing to be be done about who gets the vote, it's fair that everyone should have it.  Everyone contributes something to our society, in some way.

We can only make change to the page 3 voter if we are behind them all the time correcting their misconceptions and giving a sprinkle of common sense to all the horror stories that appear in the Daily Mail.

Even then - and its proven through these pages - you will never move someone who has repeated the same mantras to themselves for years, or (and this is probably me) cannot take the wieght of every issue and tear it to pieces to make BEST sense of it. 

Sometimes people just have go on a sense of of what's best for them or their families and/or instinct.

Only this morning, I was giving some thought to the 2 million people in Britian who actually think the Tory's will do a better job than what we've had.  Time will be the teller. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)