Author Topic: "Only Labour can win here" - Labour leaflet  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
"Only Labour can win here" - Labour leaflet
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
I have just received through my door a leaflet.

It is (apparently) printed by South Swindon Labour Party, 31 Wharf Road, SN4 9LF, and promoted by John Firmin on behalf of Anne Snelgrove and Matthew Rhodes, all at 7 Little London Court, Albert Street, Swindon SN1 3HY.

It wants me to vote for Matthew Rhodes in the council election for F&GP.

And one of the reasons it extends for persuading me to vote that way is...

Quote from: the leaflet
Only Labour can win here

2005 General Election Result
17,534 Anne Snelgrove, Labour
16.181 (they didn't bother to put Robert Buckland's name on the bar chart), Tory
7,322 (they didn't bother to put Sue Stebbing's name on the bar chart either), Lib Dem

(the observations regarding whose names made it onto the bar chart are mine, they aren't on the leaflet)

So, I'm being encouraged to vote for a Labour candidate who I've never heard of in the council election, based on the results of the 2005 parlimentary election?  :2funny:

Pull the other one, South Swindon Labour Party and whoever you are publishing and promoting. It might even have bells on.

Anyone with half a brain cell and half an eye on the political landscape can see that Swindon South is a marginal labour-tory constituency.

Freshbrook and Grange Park ward is a different matter though.

When I moved here about 10 years ago, F&GP was entirely represented by Lib Dems. Since then, the political landscape has shifted, and we are now entirely represented (allegedly) by tories.

If F&GP is a marginal ward, then it's tory-libdem. It's labour who don't have a chance in this ward in the council elections.

So, Matthew Rhodes, you have totally failed to get my vote.

You might have made a good cllr, but you've been let down by whoever creates your leaflets. I object to leaflets that assume that I'm stupid  >:(

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: "Only Labour can win here" - Labour leaflet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:09:54 PM »
Simon

Maybe there should be a "Cricks Law" the journalist told a committee I think it was on the standards in public life that all parties should be made by law to submit copies of their literature to the electoral commission and that there should be something like the misrepresentations act like the one that applies to Estate Agents.

That all stats and quoted information should be sourced. It may sort out some of the issues around leaflets?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
Yeah, cos Political watchdogs work so well.

It's a cracking idea but will always be owned and managed by those it professes to police.

As me first exhibit, I offer you expenses.

Generic leaflet, only the specific pictures, candidates names and colour change. Let's see them work with that.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »
I received a leaflet on 28th April for Ms Snelgrove only with the same bar chart and same words 'Only Labour can win here'. A more recent leaflet (yesterday) has the same bar chart but with the words 'Only Labour can beat the Tories here'.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c