Author Topic: 2010 General Election: Who I will Be Voting For And Why.....  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 2010 General Election: Who I will Be Voting For And Why.....
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »

My word.  I sometimes read back through older threads and reflect on where, how and why my attitudes and opinions have changed.  I don't always comment on them, (thereby bumping them back up the topic lists), but I still feel quite strongly about this one.

I started this topic 3 years and 4 months ago and yet it almost feels as if I wrote it yesterday.  Perhaps that is because, (imho), I have been proved mostly right?

:popcorn:

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »
What I find fascinating is how so little has been resolved since the election. Financially, we're still in the shit (though gradually crawling out at a snail's pace at the cost of becoming increasingly vulnerable to the years of non investment in national infrastructure that austerity is backlogging).

The only real difference I've noted socially is the preponderance of Facebook posts blaming all of societies ills on the conservatives (whilst conveniently forgetting from whence most of these social issues stemmed in the first place!)

Jobs are still like rocking-horse shit - and the real impact of the austerity cuts is still to be felt...

But that aside, has anyone noticed a revolution in governance? The reduction of knee-jerk legislation is welcome, but we feel like a country mired in treacle to me. Ed Millibands best effort to propose a concrete alternative rather than empty criticism seems to have been the utterly laughable and ridiculous freeze of leccy prices...

What I see isn't so much a failure of tory policy but one of the entire political class. They have shot their bolt along with their mouths once too often. The internet means their previous false words and broken promises are just too readily to hand. There are no glib solutions any more - we know that in their struggle to dominate the middle ground, REAL difference in policy is very small.

Perhaps a few more people are beginning to realise that salvation lies within our own hands - not those of demagogues, sophists and public school boys who've done little outside of politics.

Its time for some new ideas... Dear god, PLEASE!!!!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:47:23 AM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 01:01:56 AM »

What I see isn't so much a failure of tory policy but one of the entire political class. They have shot their bolt along with their mouths once too often. The internet means their previous false words and broken promises are just too readily to hand. There are no glib solutions any more - we know that in their struggle to dominate the middle ground, REAL difference in policy is very small.

Absolutely spot bollock on.

The Quill Pen mentality, ethos and methodology are all spotted with more disease than Dorian Gray's painting.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »

The Quill Pen mentality, ethos and methodology are all spotted with more disease than Dorian Gray's painting.

Couldn't put it better myself.

It is time for change, and for new ideas and approaches because change we must or sink into the abyss.

So how many people will join me standing as Independents next May?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »

It is time for change, and for new ideas and approaches because change we must or sink into the abyss.

I think rather than over focus on what candidates Are standing AS it is more important to be clear on what candidates are standing FOR.

Kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 09:06:44 AM »

I think rather than over focus on what candidates Are standing AS it is more important to be clear on what candidates are standing FOR.

Kareen

I agree JennyB, if they haven't got parties to squabble over things could be just as bad , if they don't know how to manage their behaviour and start side swiping at one another.

Trouble is, we don't get to choose the candidates that stand - the parties do that at present and one would hope there would be enough standing for selection for them to have  choice of candidate. If there were a choice we would hope they would make a wise choice - the best for the ward or even the person most likely to work and support the best principals and practice of democracy.  At least these candidates are known by some people in their party and if the same rules apply they have to be members for a year before they can stand for anything.

Any old joe soap can stand as an independent, they come with no references and maybe no experience. Maybe they stand as  independent because they know they wouldn't get selected as a candidate if put against others.

Maybe the best independents are those who have walked out of one party and used it as learning experience. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:58 AM »

Kareen

I agree JennyB, if they haven't got parties to squabble over things could be just as bad , if they don't know how to manage their behaviour and start side swiping at one another.

Trouble is, we don't get to choose the candidates that stand - the parties do that at present and one would hope there would be enough standing for selection for them to have  choice of candidate. If there were a choice we would hope they would make a wise choice - the best for the ward or even the person most likely to work and support the best principals and practice of democracy.  At least these candidates are known by some people in their party and if the same rules apply they have to be members for a year before they can stand for anything.

Any old joe soap can stand as an independent, they come with no references and maybe no experience. Maybe they stand as  independent because they know they wouldn't get selected as a candidate if put against others.

Maybe the best independents are those who have walked out of one party and used it as learning experience.

M,

My question has nothing to do with the colour of a rosette.

kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »

There's only one notable example of someone having the chutzpah to do that. The others have crossed the floor at their convenience (and advantage).

I'd prefer to see my independents make a public commitment NOT to cross the floor without first gaining a mandate to do so: They should promise to commit to stand down and be re-elected if that's what they propose to do.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
M,

My question has nothing to do with the colour of a rosette.

kareen .

Didn't think it was Kareen,

"I agree JennyB. (changed comma for full stop)  If they haven't got parties to squabble over, things COULD be just as bad , if they don't know how to manage their behaviour and start side swiping at one another"

What I'm saying is a poor choice of councillor is a poor choice, whatever way they come to it.

Like the debate about a good chair or a bad chair, to do most jobs a bit of training and or experience can make the difference.  From where does the new independent councillor gain either, who is there to give them a reference of being able to do the job or even the ability to learn?  i.e. the choice of councillor may be no different to what we have now, the politics could be replaced by other sniping about other things, it almost certainly would be.  At present the leaflets go out and frankly whilst the promises might be good it says nothing of their ability at governance and debate. None of them say "I will present you to the best of my ability and maintain decorum at all times."  The selling point for them is I will get the potholes filled and the bins emptied, not how they will go about that. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)