Author Topic: 2010 Local Elections: Who I will be Voting For And Why.....  (Read 8284 times)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: 2010 Local Elections: Who I will be Voting For And Why.....
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
Some well known names, not necessarily for the right reasons.
http://www.ssep.org.uk/ssep_board_members_revised_dec_09.pdf

I think this may be the current version of the LAA http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/ssp-boardmembers-2.htm ?

Two different bodies?

Yes two different bodies, both in existence. I'm aware of 12 'partnerships' and other such quasi-autonomous organisations that have 'responsibility' for delivering various things that you might think are Swindon Borough Council's responsibility. But their existence is not special to Swindon Borough Council - all these organisations exist because central government has decreed that they must.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
I think that if you go back to some of my first posts on TS I was pointing out the interconnection of these boards. (If you didn't know already!) 

I'm not going to call them quango's. because if they were properly organised and the electoral colleges to the positions on them were done properly, we would have a better and greater democracy. 

The fact that they are in the strangle hold of the few, who do seem to recognise they are they place to be.   But WE should have our reps on them - properly on them.    WE (us common lot) are now down in the Overview and Monitoring Plus Group - not even on the sub-committee, but on the sub-sub-committee, where anything we say can get lost in translation.    It's sort of like that saying about Britain and America - divided by a common language.   WE still fight for places on them becasue at least we can have our say, even if it's still not heard.

At the last OMG+, THEY suggested that one of the ways they could hear more about what people had to say, was to ask those that get elected in this time to feedback what they were hearing on the doorstep.   Excellent suggestion.  I added to that and asked that to make it fair - and to ensure that there was a better cross section of feedback, that they also ask those that didn't get in. 

I could hear the intake of breath, but I can see it wouldn't take that much more work/money to do that, so I am going to use that one suggestion to see if we are listened to - others did agree that it was fairer way by the way, so it wasn't just me'.

I would expect some people to be on both the Strategic Partnership (about everything) and the Strategic Economic Partnership (about the economic potentials) and the one should feed into the other anyway.  And the partnerships are good, as plans should be made by everyone together, not the borough, Police, Primary Care Trust, businesss, voluntary sector having a plan etc.  It's when they gathr in all their mates and don't listen to what you want that it goes wrong and when one sector or the other has more sway - which is what has happened here. 

Because I think, if you scrape away all the other groth, you are down to a few very powerful (Swindon) business people, whom the rest, for some reason don't want to stand up to or cannot even see why they should.   

But you can and probably will ignore this posting by someone, who is after all, a very lowly, common Penhill person - and what do we know up here on Penhill??? :D

Course, if they let us on those proper partneships we could perhaps see that we are badly mistaken, but whilst we are locked out we have to speak as we find.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »
Because I think, if you scrape away all the other groth, you are down to a few very powerful (Swindon) business people, whom the rest, for some reason don't want to stand up to or cannot even see why they should.   
What puzzles me is why the few business people that appear on so many of these local quangos have any power at all.  I'm not sure they really are powerful (outside of the council), just ones with time on their hands. Successful business people have more worthwhile (from a business perspective) things to do with their time than indulge in local government. And for those that are altruistic, I suspect there are going to be far more legitimately personally rewarding outlets for their altruism than anything that brings them into contact with local politicians.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 03:23:33 PM »
I don't think there is much  altrusim about.   

I think it's fairly obvious that it is worth a few of them hanging around our local government. 

On the 'quango's as you call them, they can swing considerable power in the future planning of Swindon.  Especially if they can keep us off them.

Every new development and new service brings contracts.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)