Author Topic: Lamplighters #17: Black Rod and The Touch of Death  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Francoise De Lampe

• Oui, nous pouvons !
  • Francoise et sa lanterne magique !
Lamplighters #17: Black Rod and The Touch of Death
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:04:57 PM »
Starting point for 'Black Rod and The Touch of Death' is Lamplighters #16 'What's happening at the Civic tonight ?' because of what Rod Bluh said after the Council Meeting has finished.

An email cc'd to the leakline yesterday from Lamplighter Geoff Reid, said:

Quote from: Geoff Reid
"Thanks for calling but I'd prefer not to publish yet.  Let's get the election out of the way and see what the landscape looks like.  The wifi debacle has a way to run yet so I'm glad no one is taking the spin at face value.  It is only dead when the GP decides it's dead or the AC gives it the green light.  Bluh usually ignores the former but he'll eventually realise they're now ignoring him and he'll be forced to beg the AC to investigate WIFi thoroughly and hope that it does get a green light. Which of course it can't.  A Classic Catch-22 and hoist on his own petard situation. Inept Twat.

You asked about last Thursdays full Council.  I wasn't actually there, (I won't step foot inside the civic offices until democracy is restored there), but what happened was a short-sighted political mugging for the benefit of the leaders 'reputation' within his own group. 

Figuratively speaking, Bluh was just hard enough to kick Derique Montaut's walking stick out from under him and, when Monty had hit the deck, (stunned by Bluh's betrayal of their 'leaders agreement'), Perkins kicked him in the bollocks and head repeatedly.  I doubt they would have done it as crudely if the media had been physically present but pretty soon they will wish that the Pravdatiser, (Swindon Advertiser - our singular local title), had been there to report it because their behaviour would already be yesterdays hampster bedding by now.  It's fast becoming more of a local story becasue it looks like Bluh & Perkins kicked the political shit out of teh leader of the opposition because they thought no one would catch them at it

Is it a case of necessity becoming the mother of improvisation?, it's certainly true that Bluh needed to look much harder in front of the Tory herd to fend off the leadership challenge from Nick Martin, but Bluh is so self-obsessed I'm betting he didn't realise that Nick Martin had already missed his optimal chance to make his leadership bid and that Perkins was now energetically playing both sides for his own mercenary advantage while the opportunity for him to do so briefly existed. 

When Perkins decided to go pensioner bashing to show his support for Bluh, he did the same thing to his agreement with Nick Martin that Rod Bluh had just done to his WiFiasco agreement with Derique Montaut.  This pair show how ugly and stupid political tribalism is in local politics - especially when it's being 'led' by two aggressive-but-simple politards like Perkins and Bluh.

Perkins and Bluh have demonstrated how utterly untrustworthy they both are, and how violently they will attack people they have previously glad-handed and groomed before betraying them. The majority of the Tory group think this is admirable stuff and will probably wheel in behind the Bluh bandwagon again, a few of them are disgusted by it but herd loyalty, (with just a few notable exceptions), will prevent them from breaking ranks.

Bluh thought he was being clever with his 'leaders agreement' and teaser of an AC invite, he doesn't seem to realise that Camerons  'Cast Iron Guarantee' and Browns non-existent 'Referendum' still resonate sourly with people, sometimes unconsciously even, but a promise made and then broken, (especially as quickly as Bluh did it recently), is a large petard waiting to be hoist upon. 

Bluh has dropped some many bollocks, lost so much money, (yes, before you ask I have most of the figures now), told so many porkies and betrayed so many people that his end is almost inevitable.

Think of Pamplona.  A bull may gore several people on it's run through the town but it has only one end. It doesn't know it, but everyone watching knows it's inevitable.

After last Thursdays Council Meeting the Mayor, as is traditional after the last council before the local elections, invites all the councillors into a function room for some light refreshments.  Lamplighter Ajax continues the narrative:

"It made me a bit sick really. This was not the old style honest toe to toe fist fight, this was a dirty cheap and nasty way of attacking a guy who is honest and decent.  He might be labour but most of us don't hold that against him.  Rod is silly because the labour group will probably replace Derek with someone that will be much harder for us to get on with or for Rod to control. We have had it very easy with Derek, that will change now.

Rod won't agree with me and I don't want to be singled out for speaking out, but this cannot be good for the Council.  Some of my colleagues think Rod did a good job and they clustered round him on Thursday night as he told them that the elections are in the Conservative bag for the South and that some of us should now go North and help Justin win the North.  I don't believe him, everything Rod touches or tries to manage goes very quickly wrong and if he says we have as good as won in the South then I am very sceptical.  I don't know what he's up to but whatever it is it won't benefit anyone but him"

I don't know quite what to make of the current situation in Swindon and I think we need much more 'on the ground' information as to what is happening out on the campaign trail.

Is Roderick Bluh putting out deliberate misinformation to get Labour canvassers to 'leave off' his official ward in Dorcan and the ward he actually lives in, Eastcott. ?

Do the South Swindon Conservatives really think they've as good as won both elections in the South?

What are the Labour group up to?

Where are the Liberal Democrats?

Shall we try a little 'Open Source' real-time Lamplighting using TS and Twitter posts to find out and broaidcast what 's going on today?  :)

• Oui, nous pouvons !
Re: Lamplighters #17: Black Rod and The Touch of Death
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:45 PM »

We're off:

Two hours ago:

Steve Wakefield http://twitter.com/therailwayman/status/12754872726

@Blewout The Council meeting on Thursday? It was like the old days years ago. Streetfighting is too far to strong a word to use I think?

Blewout http://twitter.com/Blewout/status/12754552913

Labour out in Eastcott and Dorcan as well as Freshbrook too its a big effort.

One hour ago:

Robert Buckland  http://twitter.com/RobertBuckland/status/12754919237

At Lawn Community Centre helping to celebrate the work of Lawn Community Association

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »

Jenni Miles on Twitter an hour back

At the swindon green party's stall outside the old bhs - pop along!

• Oui, nous pouvons !
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
Looks like everyone is out and making noise apart from the Liberal Democrats.

CharlieBach on Twitter http://twitter.com/CHARLIEBACH/status/12752391725

Is off out campaigning in Central Ward - Swindon to get Anne Snelgrove and Cllr Bob wright re-eleceted #labourdoorstep

Mark Lewis - A Candidate in the locals or support worker for Anne Snelgrove?

Question for twitter hashtag users: #labourdoorstep is quite busy, are labour using hashtags for a quick and easy mechanism for mutual-motivation ? 

Offline daproofreader

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »
                                                    Cameron announces candidate for Cowdenbeath

Embracing his Parliamentary Candidate to fight Gordon Brown in his Kirkcaldy & Cowdeneath constituency, Camerloon said "Gordon has a majority of 18,000 in this seat, but we are confident that with a candidate of this quality, he is beatable."

My money's on the chimp!

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »
Black Rod I have not heard that since the days Rod was on the backbenches and I believe that Labour  Cllr David Nash coined the phrase? Rod says this is the 3rd election he has faced in Dorcan that is six years by my reckoning. Rod was on the backbench for a year before being  elevated by the group to Deputy Leader. A year later he became leader.  Personally I think writing him off now may be premature? As  you can see his rise was impressive and he still has all the resources at his disposal. I am not sure about the "South Swindon is ours" comment, for just as I would not write off Rod, I would not write off labour's chances either.

I have never witnessed such a push by labour since the 1970s when as a union member we used to come and give them mutual aid and I think it was the year that labour took the council? Can anyone remember the year? I remember it was on TV, Ceefax, Teletext, and in the Wiltshire papers.

As for the street fighting remark I am sure old warhorses and streetfighters such as D. Benfield, Nick Martin, Mike Bawden and Monty himself have witnessed more exciting exchanges? I remember when the poll tax protesters broke in the doors of the civic and stormed the chamber, (again I would not write off cllr Nick Martin's chances either) when Nick Martin stood up to the protesters alone and drew their fire whilst Labour proposed and seconded the motion to pass the poll tax in Swindon.

Nick taking the heat helped labour to do that. Nick has had plenty of experience as Nick always bore the brunt of Labour's attacks. In those days it was akin to the Moscow show trials as Nick sat there and was haranged by Labour member after labour member. Nick has been very quiet this last couple of weeks and that for me is when to be cautious as Nick is normally never quiet.

I for one welcomed some of the passion, enthusiasm and the political heat in the chamber as personally I believe it has become more and more []wooden[/s] staid  since the 2000 Local government Act was introduced.  ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana: