Author Topic: Walcot Library and Charity shops 1 year Anniversary  (Read 10145 times)

Offline Claire Ellis

Walcot Library and Charity shops 1 year Anniversary
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
On Thursday this week we are celebrating the saving of Walcot Library and Charity Shop.

We will be having drinks and nibbles at 12 noon, all are welcome.   :banana:

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

Re: Walcot Library and Charity shops 1 year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:56:04 AM »
I just heard the volunteers and Peter Mallinson on Radio Swindon and it really cheered me up!  A nice good news story how the local community rallied round to save the library and charity shop when they were both facing closure.  A real  win win situation.

Have never been to Walcot library and shop but sounds like it is a real success story - well done everybody!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
May you should pay them a visit then today C o O T.  I am sure you will be well received.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
May you should pay them a visit then today C o O T.  I am sure you will be well received.

Are you going with Damon Hooton?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Claire Ellis

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
I just wanted to say thank you for all the support today, we had a good turn out.

:clap:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
Hi Claire I am very pleased it was a success and that all my hard work twelve months ago has borne fruit.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Peter Mallinson

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:41:01 PM »
For the last time Richard, you were just a small part of a team.  You seem to want to take the credit for what has happened but forget that you walked away the day after we opened.

Can I refresh your memory about what happened, you started to ask for money that was not available and was beyond what we as a charity could afford to pay.  All the other members of the team are doing the job as true volunteers you wanted paying.  There are other aspects that I will not go into in public but you are well aware of them.

The decision was yours to leave us as soon as we opened and at a time when we needed all the help we could get.

The credit should go to everyone not one individual.  It is what you do when you are a team player which clearly you were not.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
For the last time Richard, you were just a small part of a team.  You seem to want to take the credit for what has happened but forget that you walked away the day after we opened.

Can I refresh your memory about what happened, you started to ask for money that was not available and was beyond what we as a charity could afford to pay.  All the other members of the team are doing the job as true volunteers you wanted paying.  There are other aspects that I will not go into in public but you are well aware of them.

The decision was yours to leave us as soon as we opened and at a time when we needed all the help we could get.

The credit should go to everyone not one individual.  It is what you do when you are a team player which clearly you were not.

There's a Mallinsonian threat buried in there, Richard should call him on it  :popcorn: 

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »
Peter you memory is remarkably selective.  I am going away for a  :coffee: but I will be replying to your post shortly.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »
Hmmmm....... Spankie and Sparkie spat spitefully ?............

Offline Ringer

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:51:31 AM »
Peter you memory is remarkably selective.  I am going away for a  :coffee: but I will be replying to your post shortly.

Looking forward to it Richard  :popcorn:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
Hmmmm....... Spankie and Sparkie spat spitefully ?............

I will be back shortly there is a lot going on at the moment! :popcorn:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 10:25:01 PM »
As I have already said Peter your memory is remarkably selective and on reflection I am utterly bemused by your unnecessary reaction to my congratulatory posting.

Interesting article in Friday’s Adver
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8115553.Celebrations_at_Walcot_Library/
‘Councillor Peter Mallinson’……”….library’s saviour, yesterday basked in the glory of it all…”……. (Quote from above article)

This article implies this was a one man show.  Where is your tribute to your hardworking team of volunteers?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
Richard you have no chance of getting any credit from Cllr. Mallinson.
His ethos is ME ME ME.
P.S.
I hope my grammar is correct.
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
Bobby I don't need any acknowledgement from Councillor Mallinson, I know what I did and achieved.

But it is a pity he cannot acknowledge the work of others.

If I had been him I would have been embarassed by the Adver article.

Offline Peter Mallinson

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »
Richard,  had you been at the event you would have heard me congratulate and thank the whole team for their magificent work over the past year.  You could have been part of that team but you decided otherwise. 

You did work both in the shop and later in the shop/library but you were only one of a team of 10. 

The remarks in the Adver were not mine and I can assure you that I do not need any praise or thanks, what I do is for the good of the community and not for "PAYMENT".

I work in the shop 5 days a week continuously, not because I am looking for glory or "PAYMENT" but because I enjoy doing so. 

When I introduced you to the shop I thought you would feel the same way and that it would give you something to do whilst you are unemployed.  It is a shame that it all went wrong but that is life.

I intend to continue to work in the shop regardless of anything you may say, I am not a quitter. !!!

Offline ZPW

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
Is "PAYMENT" the same as payment?

Offline Claire Ellis

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Can we get back to the fact that this is a brilliant achievement.  The volunteers in the library work day in day out for no pay and they have been there since the beginning, with a few others who only stay a week or so.
Peter works tirelessly in the library/shop, he does not need to be there but he does for the community he is part of, something I would think the most people in his ward would want out of their councillor.  He is right; he did not seek applause for himself but talked only of the staff.  It was me that made the quote in the paper the day before, and it was me that said that Peter set the shop and library up, because he did.

Offline ZPW

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 11:17:34 AM »
Cooo Claire Ellis.

Good woman.

I think this spat is over now with Sparky the victor and Spanky tangled in the ropes.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
Is "PAYMENT" the same as payment?

Is payment, a 'wage' for work or an 'out of pocket expenses'?  If it is expenses, then every volunteer has a right to ask for and expect them, even if they don't get them!   If the circumstances are that the organisation can't afford expenses, then that should be made clear at the start - and vol expenses should be including in any funding bids to cover them.  Receipts for expenses would be required of course for accounting purposes.

Those who can afford to contribute their time (and expenses) to projects should not look down their noses at those that can't! 

And we have to remember that if the volunteers give up at walcot, they have completely lost their Library. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)