Author Topic: BBC Points West: Voter Apathy In Penhill  (Read 7689 times)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
Re: BBC Points West: Voter Apathy In Penhill
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
ZPW   No, I didn't have my aspirations thwarted - what I meant was that with the hindsight of age and experience I realised that I had had no aspirations instilled in me. No one, had ever said to me 'you can do that'. If you ain't got 'em you don't aim for them.

That didn't happen to my children

Well done you.
If you broke the mould and managed to take responsibily for your children's aspiration, why then cannot the breakfast-clubber?
Her...' no-one has ever explained politics to me...' is beyond beleif really in terms of the 'it's-not-fault-mentality' . Are you suggesting that we create a seperate enclave for those that depned on others for all? It's OK by your book that these people don't assume responsibility for their own actions? Inaction holds as great a responsibilty an action.
If the Toris get in in Penhill, this woman will be a party to that despite her...I'm not involved, don't blame me, I've been dobbed in it attitude..

Stellar-Mart's idea to get voters out is a gentle one... see how he addreses the need for people who want someting from everything?
I counter suggest ( in arsieness) that we compell people to vote. Fine them in they don't. That may help breakfast clubbers learn a little bit about politics.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 09:52:41 AM »
So many words.

Here we are, stick £5 a month on the Council Tax.

When you vote you get £ a redeemable voucher to the full value of your monthly £5's. It's cracking, invest the fivers between elections for a bit of income, keep the fivers from the people who can't be arsed.

Stop it out of benefits to close that little loophole, and Bob's your uncle and, very surprisingly, Defence Minister.

Probably a tad draconian, but this is either important or it isn't.

Voting at 16 is bollocks by the way.

No mate take £5.00 of the council tax you sound like Cllr Edwards with adding a fiver!

Benefits? What next stop child allowance ..... to get em out to vote?

Vote at 16, you can Marry, at 16 I think that is more of an informed choice that X in a box, driving at 17 is more skillful than putting an X in a box. At 16 people can enter the world of work at 17 soldiers can be in Afghanistan though not on frontline duties now that does  require more skill/guts/ability than an informed choice about an X in a box.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:46 AM »
If people CONSISTANTLY fail to vote take them off the register!!!
Bobby

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »
Well what can I say  :-\

I think that democracy should be part of the curriculum in schools as well as life skills.
I know a lot already is being done, and I do think that 16 is too young to vote, although they do need to learn the theory of why we vote etc... They also then need the practical which equates to life experiences - the world of work, cost of living etc, then what with that and the theory, when they come of age and get to vote, they will /should have an understanding of who , why and for what !

I also would like to see more people in general out voting and contributing, but then again it is a personal choice.
There is at present media coverage everywhere - papers, TV, radio as well as the being the topic of conversation in the work place, local shops, communities , the pub etc etc ..... the list goes on, so I would be shocked if I heard someone say 'I didn't know' as an excuse not to vote - personal choice is different !

I think that obviously during the run up to elections be they local or general, the coverage is everywhere, however when its over, its over and then you get the usual hype and the ins /outs of the whose who in Government - then that tends to fizzle out and then thats it for a while.

We need to take responsibility for our actions as no one else is going to , and if those who do understand the voting process and have the 'I can't be arsed attitude' then its no good moaning about who did or didn't get in afterwards when your vote may have made a difference - get 1000's of people with the same attitude and all that - then there you are !

If people choose not to vote, and don't moan - then fair enough !

Waffle over  :angel:

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
I know for a fact that the people that complain the most are those that do nothing to help our society.
Just look at the volunteers and community groups. Yes they criticise, but invariably it's justified and not just a constant moan.
Make a mental note of some of the moaner's comments and then ask them what have they done about it?
The answer is nearly always nothing. They say "What's the use nobody listens or does anything about it"
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
ZPW said:   "Well done you.
If you broke the mould and managed to take responsibily for your children's aspiration, why then cannot the breakfast-clubber?"

Ummm!   My life was easier and more informed than my parents?? 
I didn't break any mould, my parents were fine, upstanding citizens, the best and I have always tried to emulate their decency/kindness etc etc.  They were encouraging as far as their horizons were concerned.  I didn't mind being from a working class family, we were all in the same boat so we couldn't see any differences.

Ms breakfast clubber may not have had the benefits I and then my children had.

To be honest I can't really discuss this further on these pages, it goes a lot deeper than we can discuss here.  Happy to do that if anyone wants to pm me.  I do want you to understand the difficulty.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »

Oh, I expect she does, and then some.

you can Marry, at 16 I think that is more of an informed choice that X in a box,

http://www.2as1.net/marriage_research_3.html

No it's not. It would be a sign of fiscal irresponsibility and indicative of very poor research. Unless of course you are 14 and being married to your wealthy uncle on another continent. According to some papers.

My mum married at 16. Luckily.

driving at 17 is more skillful than putting an X in a box.

Yes, it is, more's the pity. Ask a Motor Insurer for his competitive rates for teenage drivers, then ask him why the annual premium is the only thing keeping pace with Gordnon's borrowing. An exhaust the size of Ball's gob does not imbue the driver of the vehicle to which it is attached with skill.

At 16 people can enter the world of work

Though record numbers are choosing not to. I daresay that being compelled to remain in education until you are 18 will put a bit of a crimp in any plans for gainful employment amongst the baggy trousered little scamps as well.

at 17 soldiers can be in Afghanistan though not on frontline duties now that does  require more skill/guts/ability than an informed choice about an X in a box.

Indeed it does, and they will vote Tory or UKIP, and the lads that do are a minority.

We are dealing in generalisations. That's why it is called a General Election. (I made that up). I onlly half believe what I write, it's a worry it's that much.

I think lowering the age limit will only devalue something which has already been lowered into the midden, voting should be a respectable thing, candidates should be respectable people. I didn't say it was easy.

The alternative is voting at MaccyD's (Do you want fries with that?) Perhaps you could block vote for your entire life, a sort of season ticket to save waddling off to the Polling Station when 'Enders is on.

I favour one man, one vote. As long as I am that man.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
ZPW said:   "Well done you.
If you broke the mould and managed to take responsibily for your children's aspiration, why then cannot the breakfast-clubber?"

Ummm!   My life was easier and more informed than my parents?? 
I didn't break any mould, my parents were fine, upstanding citizens, the best and I have always tried to emulate their decency/kindness etc etc.  They were encouraging as far as their horizons were concerned.  I didn't mind being from a working class family, we were all in the same boat so we couldn't see any differences.

To be honest I can't really discuss this further on these pages, it goes a lot deeper than we can discuss here.  Happy to do that if anyone wants to pm me.  I do want you to understand the difficulty.

As you know Muggins, i know your son and that although i take the piss out of him (i can't help it, if your a SBC SCS gardener its the law!!), if it wasn't for working with 'old big head', i certainly wouldn't have been that interested or questioned politics. Looking around at my fellow workers, they aren't the brightest. It's all base desires and fears that drive their politics. If i hear one more person saying the only way to protest is not to vote, or worse to vote BNP i'm going to really let rip :bash:. I came from direct into the workplace at 17, it was filled with this type of person, to then work with some one like R was quiet a revelation, he had a reputation as a decent gardener who took no s*** .

I don't know what you did to him, but i've seen him debate and question opinions in the work place, was he the same at home?. Some have not taken the debate well and lost it, of course by then we all knew the argument had been lost. great sport though... :popcorn:
I did not know much about politics so, like many of the north Swindon gardeners, we would sit back while the debates raged (much more fun than the recent telly debates, we had front row seats!! :popcorn:). R was about 21 i guess, so he was almost my equal in age, but he would just challenge and argue especially if there was someone who would rise to the bait (and there often was). Work with R for any length of time and you became interested because he didn't talk to you about all the other shit such as telly /x factor etc, you discussed real things and issues. perhaps from a slight left/red perspective, but you discussed them. well that and about the latest star trek episode ;D

My guess is that you gave all your kids the best support and education you could, to make thier own judgements just as i suspect your parents did the best they could for you before.

The way i see it is that when i left school i was a 'generation' politically, behind were R is now. I hope i have taught my kids to be aware of whats going on and to question stuff and that they will do the same for theirs. Another generation will have in effect 'caught up'

Perhaps that's what the young lady needs, to have that day to day conversation about real issues with a peer who is not out to preach but to make her think for herself.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Muggins

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
Tea boy said: I don't know what you did to him, but i've seen him debate and question opinions in the work place, was he the same at home?.

No we didn't get a lot of argument...he did the odd daft thing but he didn't argue (he wouldn't have dared!) but then at 14 he moved completely into his bedroom, (probably because he had a mind of his own) with a malaria injection and an elephant gun.  I only washed what he threw out of the door and I only saw him when he came down to cook his own dinner.  (If you know R as well as you say you do, you will have heard tales of my cooking).  Although I do wonder how he got to be a fine healthy strapping 6 footer if it was as bad as he says it was.

I must admit he probably did hear plenty of debate and cussing at the latest hardship or bureacracy that some government/union or the other had flung at us to cope with.  There were always books and newspapers and the news was always on at 6pm so the information came in in many ways and perhpas the disucssion around that showed him how politics fitted into his life.

Were you at the Poll Tax riot in Swindon?  I was persuaded to go to the Civic demonstration by a friend and R kindly drove us, that's all he was going to do, but stayed and participated!  That was an eyeopener too.  At the time all of us where working and we paid 5 lots of poll tax - very expensive for a family living in a council house.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
Mr Muggins has just received the Tory leaflet, apparently by post?

It speaks of a record of action in North Swindon

Delivering Central Library: Whilst closing down others.

Fighting Development:  In the town as well as in the countryside?

Listening to residents:   Been listening to Penhill Residents then? What have they said?  I would be really interested to know.

Promoting sport and leisure:  What have you done to help the TWIST and SPLASH Groups meet their aims?  What will you do if elected?  Have you ensured that Penhill playing fields have received due consideration?

Strengthening communities: Just why then are local groups managing SBC properties still awaiting proper leases after at least 7 years.  Why were the communities, affected by Connecting people clusters not consulted about any of it?

And last but not least: Protecting Open Spaces.............

No mention of Seven Fields Nature Reserve or the whole Seven Fields Area. So just how, Mr Tomlinson have you protected our open spaces?   Although there are new open spaces  are not resources stretched further and further and only four rangers left in the whole of Swindon? We could ask how many square yards of open space (as opossed to open countryside) you protected from selling off?  and how much do you know about the Swindon Biodiversity Action Plan? Because wildlife doesn't just live in Lydiard you know.

Sorry Geoff, can't scan the leaflet in, it's got a big tear down the middle of it!   :tickedoff:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »
Of course Tomlinson is trying to keep as much open space as possible.
He is helping his buddies from the Foxhunt brigade. Remember 2005 when they flooded Swindon to try and get him elected?
The result is now history.
Let's try and repeat it.
We can then all shout together "Tally Ho There the B*****d Goes"
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
Bobby said "Of course Tomlinson is trying to keep as much open space as possible"

Yes of course, but we want it to be green, outdoors and not between his ears.

Mmmm... remember the Fox hunting discussions - at one meeting we couldn't get the mini between the 4 x4's and one guy, who had brought his beagle to show how mnay dogs would die of they banned foxhunting and was so drunk he nearly fell off the stage.

Oh, and there was the very pretty size 10 blonde in horse riding gear who very prettily said she would be out of a job too.  I remember we promised to find her something better to do with her time. 

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »
Did the size 10 Blonde ever get a job?
I doubt it, she would not be worth even half as much as my size 20 missus!
Bobby

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
;D   :emb:   ;D

Well this year they can always vote for the 4 th option.   
Protest Vote.. Get their vote counted as no confidence in the house of commons and its not so honourable MPs and the civil servents that 'control' most of them.
Check out my web site http://www.swindon.org.uk

Don't lose your vote! Protest vote.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »
Chav

It looks like the Tories did well in Penhill, but will the Tory Candidate be getting involved with the community?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
Chav

It looks like the Tories did well in Penhill, but will the Tory Candidate be getting involved with the community?

Unikely, the Tory candidate couldn't even be bothered to attend the Penhill question time, nor for that matter did the BNP bloke!
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
Chav

Unikely, the Tory candidate couldn't even be bothered to attend the Penhill question time, nor for that matter did the BNP bloke!

I did have a conservative leaflet - but anyone can pose for a photo outside CLIP at the John Moulton Hall , and may I add - actions speak louder than words and pictures.

Many can talk the talk, but its walking the walk that matters.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 07:26:46 PM »
Chav

I have looked at the figures on another site and that shows that they didn’t seem to do well, proportionally their vote, along with everyone else’s, dropped. Only one candidate, according the site I saw earlier, increased their share of the vote.

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2010, 08:52:08 PM »
Chav

I have looked at the figures on another site and that shows that they didn’t seem to do well, proportionally their vote, along with everyone else’s, dropped. Only one candidate, according the site I saw earlier, increased their share of the vote.

Hi Bog...(again LOL)
As far as I can make out of the 4430 odd registered to vote in the Penhill ward the turn out was 51. summat %
What I found interesting was the swing factor....
Party –     Votes Cast – Vote Share – Vote Swing
Lib Dems – 898 -           39.5%          (+14.2%)
Labour –    782 –           34.4%           (-7.4%)
Cons -       444 -            19.5%           (–0.5%)
BNP            152 –           6.7%            (-6.3%)

I am also pleased to announce that I may have been the first person to say to our newly ellected Cllr harrison..  "Oi...when is my street being swept I am sick of bleeding reminding SBC that they should do it at least once every year!"   :tickedoff:
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk