Author Topic: Statement of the persons nominated for election as a Borough Councillor for Cen  (Read 10886 times)

Offline Jenni Miles

• Swindon Greens
CHADFIELD Stephen Robert   The Green Party
COX David                            Independent
EVANS Karsten                      Independent
LEAKEY Kevin                           The Conservative Party Candidate
SPENCER Kathryn                   Liberal Democrat
WRIGHT Bob                          The Labour Party Candidate

Jenni Miles Green Party Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Swindon, South. *Link Removed* *Link Removed* htt

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
Dont you really wonder what the Labour party can do right?
How can it be that the Leakeys always get stuck with the Tories?

I despair of them I really do.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Dont you really wonder what the Labour party can do right?
How can it be that the Leakeys always get stuck with the Tories?

I despair of them I really do.

In previous years I would have agreed with you, however this year I despair of Kevin for putting his name forward as a tory at all.   By standing a s atory I fear he's sold himself short when I think of what he (or Karen) could achieve as an independent

I haven't spoken to Kevin, but I suspect he's a paper candidate as the blues won't want to admit they they don't give a stuff about winning in central, but they really don't give a stuff and, no offence to Kevin as he and Karen do a lot of good work in their area, but I really think the tories would field a womble if they thought they could get away with it.  Having Kevin's name on the ballot is a huge bonus for them as gives them credibility they don't deserve.

If anyone is in any doubt about how thw tories view central ward, just rememeber the way the tories behaved over the parking tax.

Offline ZPW

Don't agree with you.
A party badge still counts for masses of voters.
Kevin would never get in a s an Ind. But with his local stature and a party badge he's got to have a chance.
Can't see Bob Wright endorsing any dirty tricks against Kevin ( or anyone actually) so he's probably in with a chance.

Don't think Mr Leakey would be putting his name forward for any reason other than it's his only way into the Civic - he can do ( even) more for his Community from insied the tent than he is currntly doing outside it.

I'll put a fiver on him. You picking that up Aligator?

Offline Alligator

I'll put a fiver on him. You picking that up Aligator?

You're on!   I say Bob Wright will get in without any difficulty.  Poor old Kev will be held back by the local slimeballs in the blue party.   :)

Offline ZPW

You met Kevin Leakey?
Cannot imagine the local party have any bearing on him at all, beyond the whole deal whereby he'll get a load of random votes by sheer dint of the Tory badge; he'll be getiing on with it on his own terms.

Tenner?

Offline Alligator

I know Kevin well enough, he's a good bloke and does a lot for the community.  he would make a bloody good councillor, sadly the badge will have a negative impact on his chances.

By standing as a blue I have to assume that he thinks that the parking tax on his neighbours is a good idea.  Hopefully he'll come on here and tell me I'm wrong on that one though.

Your fiver should buy me about two and a half pints of IPA in the Beehive.....bring on election night.   I'll be thinking about you when I down them   :)

Offline ZPW

A bit more likely he can something about the parking tax as a sitting cownsler than as a concerned citizen.

I upped the ante to a Tennr. You taking?

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
I agree with Alligator that this time round the blue badge will do Mr Leakey even less favours than usual. And although he may do sod all specifically for Central ward, as a thinking councillor prepared to challenge, logically without too much party political hubris, some recent carp decisions by the council, Mr Wright is currently doing a very good job.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Alligator

A bit more likely he can something about the parking tax as a sitting cownsler than as a concerned citizen.

I upped the ante to a Tennr. You taking?

We can make it a score if you like.  I'm going to enjoy taking your money off you  :)

Offline Richard Symonds

I think Kevin's canditure may be more about Robert Buckland's interest here than Kevin's.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline komadori

I think Kevin's canditure may be more about Robert Buckland's interest here than Kevin's.
Er? I don't question the Leakeys' interest in Central. Indeed the one consistent factor in Central has been their commitment to the area in which they live regardless of what others in the party they are members of (or elsewhere) may think of that.

Offline Richard Symonds

Er? I don't question the Leakeys' interest in Central. Indeed the one consistent factor in Central has been their commitment to the area in which they live regardless of what others in the party they are members of (or elsewhere) may think of that.

I don't question the Leakey's commitment to Central either K but I believe their cause would be better served if Kevin had gone as an independent Swindon First Candidate.  He was probably persuaded to do otherwise, anyway there is always next year.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline komadori

I believe their cause would be better served if Kevin had gone as an independent Swindon First Candidate.
Er? Either you're independent or you're not. If someone is a 'Swindon First Candidate' then by definition they're not independent.

Offline Alligator

According to karen Leakey's blog, Kevin is taking his campaign seriously which suggests that my assertion that the blues are fielding a paper candidate isn't accurate....but I suppose they would say that wouldn't they  :-\

The emphasis in the quote below is mine.

Quote from: Karen Leakey
Friday, 9 April 2010
Elections - standing and ... me
In 2006 and 2007 I was asked to stand as a candidate by the Swindon Conservative Party - I stood as the candidate for Central Swindon - which is the Ward where I live. I had volunteered in the Broadgreen community for 6 years at this point. I had hoped that this would give the Central Ward a 'voice' in Swindon.

The Chair of the Broad Street Area Community Council was a fabulous man - older and an ex-union person. He also had very strong thoughts and feelings - one of them was a female should not be 'up there doing it' - it was a man's job. For every job my husband did for and within the community - I had to work 10 times harder just to prove I was worthy of doing the work! This gave me a good grounding and made me alot stronger which has seen me through some difficult times. I often Think of Les with great pride and admiration - for he helped to make me some of the person I am today (not afraid to 'fight' and stand up for your rights).

In 2008 I was asked to be the candidate and after agreeing - I found that I was happier to continue doing the community work within Broadgreen. We had embarked on a project doing our own Community Plan - which was very important to us all.
Kevin my husband was then asked to stand for the same party - which he did.

I was asked by a different party to stand this year - and will think about this for the future (never say never)- Kevin is standing as the Central Ward Candidate for the Conservative party this year. He is running a full campaign and would like to be elected as a councillor to give the Central Ward residents a strong voice within the Council. I am fully 100% behind Kevin and will continue doing so throughout.

Central Ward has been a hard labour voting Ward for a very long time - one of the things that amazes me - when the councillors are asked to represent or campaign on our behalf - often the reply has been - we are not in the majority in council, so we have no voice. That is the reason both Kevin and I have stood - to give people that voice.

When I stood as a candidate and engaged with people on the doorstep I was asked to do some work - or help people in other areas - I still have people contact me today for this - even though I was not elected - when one of the serving Central Ward Councillors found out - I was told to 'stop this as you are NOT the councillor' - my reply was 'why dont you do the job you were elected to do then?'

I am not into the Political 'rubbish' that goes on - I think Swindon is let down very badly by local politics getting in the way of really making a difference.
I do not know what is going to happen this General Election - I can only hope that with the MP expenses saga - the lack of work some politicians are at - people can get to make a real difference.

I genuinely wish Kevin well as he has what it takes to make a good councillor, but I stand by what I have said previously about his choice of rosette.

ZPW, I'm still waiting to see if you've taken me up on raising the stakes in our little bet  ;)

Offline Alligator

Has anyone received a local election leaflet or seen any sign of local tories canvasing in Central ward?  I'm still convinced that Kev's a paper candidate despite what his Mrs is writing in her blog. 

Can anyone offer anything to suggest that the blues have invested more than a name on the ballot paper to win the ward next month?

Offline komadori

Nought here, even though the blues have clearly passed this way as I've had two leaflets in support of Mr Buckland. But as he came quite close last time, you'd think they might put more effort in.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
This is the year when Independent candidates could have wiped the field in SBC elections. The anger against the mainstream parties is intense even at local level. I think Kevin will give Bob a run for his money but the 2 Independents will 'queer the pitch' in terms of taking votes

Offline komadori

Both this time and last, I've not been convinced that aligning himself with the blues is doing Mr Leakey any favours, especially as there's not much evidence of them supporting him in campaigning effort. The Leakeys are sufficiently well known in Central that I'd have thought they could succeed on their own.

Offline Ringer

Both this time and last, I've not been convinced that aligning himself with the blues is doing Mr Leakey any favours, especially as there's not much evidence of them supporting him in campaigning effort. The Leakeys are sufficiently well known in Central that I'd have thought they could succeed on their own.

I would have thought Robert Buckland would have needed every vote in Central and now with the onset of Cleggmania every possible vote squeezed out of Eastcott.  :popcorn:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print