Author Topic: The Candidates  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
The Candidates
« on: April 08, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »

BAKER Laura Eileen   The Labour Party Candidate 

CARTER Emma Katharine   The Conservative Party Candidate     

GLAHOLM David Ernest     Independent   Fairs Angela M.   

HARRISON Andy    Liberal Democrat Focus Team 

MORRIS Raymond George      British National Party     

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: The Candidates
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »
Me and a few others will share a wry smile at Mr Glaholms candidature.

We just knew he would stand again.....  ;D

Why is Andy Harrison listed as  'Liberal Democrat Focus Team '  ?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
I thought Cllr Glaholm was retiring? I listened to his resignation speech at the last full council or was it some sort of Dallas dream Sequence I sat through?  No I read it here as well. :)

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/5021866.Veteran_politician_quits_after_nearly_40_years_service/

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:09:25 PM »

On his reasons for leaving, he said:
“My health has not been good this last 12 months and in particular the last month as I have been in and out of hospital.

“I am sure nothing serious is wrong but I feel that I am unable to have the ‘fire in my belly’ that a councillor for Penhill needs and feel that my battery of energy is low.

Amazing how much fire having a personal attack page on Facebook aimed at you will put back in your belly!

Good luck Councillor  :clap:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
I hope Cllr Glaholm will be posting on TS before long about his campaign and the issues? It would be good to hear more from him, as his wind down is now definitely appears to be more of a  wind up no pun intended David.  ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
Are any of you readers really surprised.
Glaholm has often engaged his mouth before his brain.
"Act in Haste, Repent in Leisure"
Flo will be actively canvassing for him and hoping and praying he gets elected.
How did he manage such a quick recovery from his illnesses. Did he go to Lourdes?
Bobby

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »

On his reasons for leaving, he said:
“My health has not been good this last 12 months and in particular the last month as I have been in and out of hospital.

“I am sure nothing serious is wrong but I feel that I am unable to have the ‘fire in my belly’ that a councillor for Penhill needs and feel that my battery of energy is low.

Amazing how much fire having a personal attack page on Facebook aimed at you will put back in your belly!

Good luck Councillor  :clap:

Did you see the Facebook Page ?
It has now been removed with intervention from the Police .
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:08:22 AM »
This mix and David's getting back in the fight should make this very interesting.  David's bound to have personal following, Andy also will have that, with the added advantage that he is remembered for being a councillor before and of course he's well known amongst the younger voters, and even older voters know him because he's been involved in community stuff on and off for years now.  Laura is an unknown as a politician but has the advantage of being for *Labour, that her job has made her visible on the estate and of course, she's a young woman (and maybe it's time we had a woman again), smart and bright.  My fear is that between those three, they could split the vote so much that one of the other two could get in. 

I'm not offering any odds on the outcome - might need a bottle of something strong myself when I find out who's won!   And if you don't think I'm desperate enough here - I don't usually drink. :D

Exits stage left muttering that "perhaps it's high time you retired Muggins"   

*Some people still blindly vote Labour. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
Poor old David just cannot make a decision and stick to it.

The number of times over the last four years I have heard he was joining the Tories and geting Freedom of the Borough and then rejoining Labour.

But as I said on the Cabinet Wi-fi debate the other night he spoke really well and on that basis his canditure is to be welcomed.  It certainly will mix things up a bit.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
This mix and David's getting back in the fight should make this very interesting. 

Exits stage left muttering that "perhaps it's high time you retired Muggins"   

*Some people still blindly vote Labour.

Muggins I would never expect you to exit stage or turn right under any circumstance, nor stay in the middle of the road for that matter. :banana:

*Some people still blindly vote Labour/Tory/LibDem/Minority Parties/Independent/Spoil Ballot Papers and don't vote ...ever!

As a candidate you live with it :angel:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
Believe me, as a community activist you live with it too!!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
Believe me, as a community activist you live with it too!!

Oh so very true muggins - very true !   ;)
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 07:43:56 PM »
community activist

Sounds like communist.

I dunno where you find the energy, commitment or hope.

You are a better wossname than me.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »
Community Activist:  I have a definition here somewhere!

You are right though Mart it does sound  a bit odd and the 'title' has put people off.  I've heard people say "I'm not one of them" and jump two feet to the left to avoid being elbow to elbow with one.   Of course they clearly WERE.

At one time, meetings needed one the same as they needed the obligatory ethnic, gay, woman, disabled person.  And were glad to see you declaring yourself as such. Not now.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: The Candidates The Importance of Being Ernest
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

BAKER Laura Eileen   The Labour Party Candidate 

CARTER Emma Katharine   The Conservative Party Candidate     

GLAHOLM David Ernest     Independent   Fairs Angela M.   

HARRISON Andy    Liberal Democrat Focus Team 

MORRIS Raymond George      British National Party     

David it was an interesting chat yesterday in the Civic, I never knew you had a middle name  ;) Sorry David I could not resist it, seriously though have a good campaign. :banana:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »
Steve, Did you ask him what he put his marvellous recovery from his year long illness down to?
Bobby

Offline daproofreader

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 05:59:27 PM »
Are any of you readers really surprised.
Glaholm has often engaged his mouth before his brain.
"Act in Haste, Repent in Leisure"
Flo will be actively canvassing for him and hoping and praying he gets elected.
How did he manage such a quick recovery from his illnesses. Did he go to Lourdes?

For Lourdes   read   beauty parlour

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
To make sure no-one else gets the blame for saying it...I'll repost it here under my name.
This is what I posted on the adver comments’ today.

"Whichever councillor gets in I'd like to know that they are going to fully and fairly represent the views of the residents of their ward-not go on about the things THEY think are important.
That they will respect the confidentiality of their constituents.
That they will attend ALL the meetings they should be attending to make sure constituents are fully and fairly represented.
And that they are not going to turn up in tatty jeans and a washed out tee shirt or similar. The people of Penhill have a hard enough job fighting stereotypical bigotry; it would help if we have a councillor arguing our corner who looks well groomed if nothing else!"

:argh:

A few weeks ago I told someone I would have liked to have seen David when he did have fire in his belly in MY opinion its something he has been lacking these past few years.

But David, what lost you my vote was when at the meeting re buses to the academy nearly the whole audience voted for one thing (they being your constituents) and you stood up straight away and said "I won’t accept that I want....[the complete opposite]" 

I stood up then and pointed out to you and all the elected representatives present that yours is not to fight for what YOU want, it’s too fight for what the electorate want.
Whoever wins the local election should be represent their constituents fairly, firmly and with passion.  I truly hope the BEST candidate wins.
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:18 PM »
Liz
What you must realise in this day and age you cannot always give people what they WANT what you have to endeavor to do is give them what they NEED, and a bus for the children of Penhill is NEEDED.
This is what Glaholm should have been persuing.
I have said often in the past that he is his own worst enemy. He needs to engage his brain before his mouth.
He loves to be contentious saying and doing things that will grab the media and I am not referring to his private life ONLY his public one.
Bobby

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »
BB,

The parents voted to ask for a moved time slot or extra normal service bus on the way too or from school dropping off and picking up from the normal stop at Pinehurst circle.
This would have given the children a 5 min walk to their destination.   It was a reasonable compromise with parents agreeing that a 'school bus' would not be a viable option.

This vote was taken after the various possibilities had been discussed and parents had three suggested options to vote on.  There was a near unanamous vote for this option immediatley followed by david saying HE did not want that he want a bus that went to and from the school and would  fight for that.

That was what prompted me to stand up and say what I did.
Local councillors are supposed to represent their constituents wishes to the best of their ability, whether they agree with those wishes or not.
  Something that seems to have been lost in local politics generally, locally and nationally.  Which is very sad really.
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk