Author Topic: Labour Selecte Matt Rhodes to fight FB&GP  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Labour Selecte Matt Rhodes to fight FB&GP
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »

http://swindon-labour.co.uk/freshbrook-and-grange-park/matt-rhodes-selected-for-freshbrook

I want to see the Council really engaging with communities. The Government has given local Councils the tools to do this under the Real People Real Power White Paper and locally this is known as Connecting People, Connecting Places. From my experience not many people know about this scheme, I’m not even sure how it will work in my area. That’s part of the problem; the Council doesn’t engage positively with people.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: Labour Selecte Matt Rhodes to fight FB&GP
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »
I wonder what he means by 'my area'? Perhaps he'd know a little more about it if he lived in the area he's hoping to represent….
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:06:25 AM »
But my goodness, he's heard of 'Real People Real power' - vote the guy in!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »
Connecting people connecting places, too high falluting for me and disengenuous to the people of Swindon as a whole.

What does it really mean and more importantly what exactly does this portfolio on Cabinet achieve? 

Yes I thought so the closure of both Freshbrook (relevent to this thread) and the Walcot Dome now reopened under Council control and as a reult of which I understand has already centralised its bookings and doubled its charges.  One group has already withdrawn as the local people will not be able to afford the new fees. 

What exactly is the purpose of these community centres? 

How many more are under threat whilst our Council lends £450,000 of our money to Digital City?  Are these the priorities required by the people of Swindon?  I think not.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »
I wonder what he means by 'my area'? Perhaps he'd know a little more about it if he lived in the area he's hoping to represent….

Tories don't seem to think living outside the ward is a problem.  I don't know what the Borough-wide picture is, but I do know only 33% of, (1 out of 3), FB&GP's Councillors live in the ward.   :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
Richard says: Connecting people connecting places, too high falluting for me and disengenuous to the people of Swindon as a whole.

Thing is Richard 'Connecting people, Connecting Places' is NOT Real People Real Power (Communities in control) it's a poor SBC excuse for Real people action. Like the sub text?  I do!

I have it on very good authority that the Walcot Dome committee handed the centre back over - it was not taken away from them.  Perhaps they weren't charging enough for their space to pay bills or something, (this is in no way a critisism) it's very fine balancing act for local committee's that manage their local centres. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline komadori

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:57:37 PM »
Tories don't seem to think living outside the ward is a problem.  I don't know what the Borough-wide picture is, but I do know only 33% of, (1 out of 3), FB&GP's Councillors live in the ward.   :)
Not sure that any of the parties view it as a problem. 0 out of 3 Central ward Labour Councillors live in the ward… and it shows. >:(

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:11:19 PM »
Connecting people connecting places, too high falluting for me and disengenuous to the people of Swindon as a whole.

What does it really mean and more importantly what exactly does this portfolio on Cabinet achieve? 

Yes I thought so the closure of both Freshbrook (relevent to this thread) and the Walcot Dome now reopened under Council control and as a reult of which I understand has already centralised its bookings and doubled its charges.  One group has already withdrawn as the local people will not be able to afford the new fees. 

How many more are under threat whilst our Council lends £450,000 of our money to Digital City?  Are these the priorities required by the people of Swindon?  I think not.

Strange Walcot Dome shuts and reopens in a week under council control yet FBGP is I believe still not open and it closed in September 2009. Any views on that Richard?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »

Strange Walcot Dome shuts and reopens in a week under council control yet FBGP is I believe still not open and it closed in September 2009. Any views on that Richard?

Yes that is very interesting.  As regards The Dome it is my belief that they have been waiting for a long time to take control of it rather than help them.  I understand the Trustees are accountable for the considerable debt and just wonder why they were never given the opportunity to discharge it by continuing to trade under Council Supervision rather than Control?   Whose agenda is that one?

As for Freshbrook I know very little about this centre but am told it was very vibrant and was allegedly closed on the instructions of the Chairities Commission due the non filing of accounts.  Please correct me if this understanding is incorrect.  However, why leave it closed for so long when it had outstanding commitments to the community as a whole?  Again surely the Council could have entered the equation to maintain the interest in the centre which it will now be very difficult to rekindle.  What is the Agenda here then?   Another example of Connecting People Connecting Places I suggest or the lack therof and gives a good example of how important the Tories regard communities when all they talk about is Wi-fi and loaning £450,000 of our money.  Surely it would have been better spent on the community as a whole rather than something which is of more interest to business rather than the rest of us?

And finally what is the position of the Tory Councillors on this very important subject?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:10:44 AM by Richard Symonds »
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 09:20:21 AM »
I wonder if the difference between Freshbrook and Walcot Dome is that Freshbrook was about the Charity Commission - no returns filed etc., where as Walcot Dome committee had been trying to get things straight etc., and things had not got so bad that the charity commission had not become involved.  If a centre is 'going on alright'  SBC don't interfere that much and neither would a local  committee want them to, except to get their part of the lease building work done.  I don't think you'll find that the Walcot Dome committee is complaining about having the centre taken back and I understand it's for the time being whilst they build of their strength -  buzz words being 'capacity building'.

thats not about how many people you can stuff in a building it's about - well, learning all you need to know to manage effectively.

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
Re: Labour Selecte Matt Rhodes to fight FB&GP - community centres sad saga
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »

AAAAAH - I must have pressed a wrong button as have just finished a, dare I say, eloquent response, and it dissapeared off the screen !!

Can a tech person devise a continuous or button to press, "save as draft" thingy to prevent such occasions please ?

However - re the post...In brief

1    all councillors should at their fingertips genuinely know what community centres are for

2    so many have closed or taken back by SBC over last 20 years that it may be the case that they have not been sufficiently, and not patronisingly, supported by our paid officials.

3    paid officers should definitely be able to answer this question CCs -what for ?  Can anyone refer me to where their purpose has been described in a recent policy document ?

4    Having worked for many years in the community sector, I believe it essential that a light touch support be given on an ongoing basis to volunteers and paid people who run these centres.

5  Come back Community Development Dept.....all is forgiven

Tony

pressing post button quickly..

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »

I have it on very good authority that the Walcot Dome committee handed the centre back over - it was not taken away from them.  Perhaps they weren't charging enough for their space to pay bills or something, (this is in no way a critisism) it's very fine balancing act for local committee's that manage their local centres.

Muggins, I have been away to check my facts.  The council closed The Walcot Dome down, hoovered up every single piece of paper in the place changed the locks and installed a new security system.  The Trustees and existing people were in effect removed from March 31st.   The Trustees obviously want to discharge their debts and this action removes any possibility of them doing so.  Is this fair?  I believe not!

These people were obviously out of their depth but where was the help that they needed and requested but never received. 

Connecting People Connecting Places my Ass

I hear that new regime is short of bookings can you confirm that please Muggins?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 01:32:30 PM »
Short of bookings?
Not unexpected , they know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
Where was the help when they neede it most?
Come on Mallison and Childs, where were you?
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »
Short of bookings?
Not unexpected , they know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
Where was the help when they neede it most?
Come on Mallison and Childs, where were you?

People in Walcot have told me that Mavis Childs has been on the case since this problem was revealed to her and she is still waiting for the help that she actively requested.

Nobody has mentioned to me what Peter Mallinson has or has not done on this problem.

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
Not sure that any of the parties view it as a problem. 0 out of 3 Central ward Labour Councillors live in the ward… and it shows. >:(

Martin and I live in the ward.  Stan lives about 10 metres from the ward boundary, although before living there he'd lived in the ward his whole life (I think).  This latter fact led the Tories in 2008 to go with 'ours is the only local candidate'.  The Tory vote dropped.  Lots of people laughed at their message, literally.

Us three aside I think I'm correct in saying that in the last ten years or more - with the exception of rejectedineastcott Michael Dickinson - all our councillors and target seat candidates have lived in the ward they stood in.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 04:11:32 PM »
I am glad you stated target seats because at one time nearly every member of the Pajak family has stood for council!
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »
I am glad you stated target seats because at one time nearly every member of the Pajak family has stood for council!

But Bobby the Liberals are a bit short of members!!

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »

But Bobby the Liberals are a bit short of members!!

I don't think there is a single Pajak on a ballot paper this year!

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 05:44:59 PM »
Perhaps they got fed up with "losing their deposits" or with Stan's "Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit"
Bobby

Offline komadori

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Us three aside I think I'm correct in saying that in the last ten years or more - with the exception of rejectedineastcott Michael Dickinson - all our councillors and target seat candidates have lived in the ward they stood in.
Don't think so. There was another Lib Dem candidate (I've forgotten her name) who lived in Albion Street (Eastcott) and stood in Central in 2006 and one of the West Swindon wards the next. Now, Albion Street is close enough to Central as makes no difference. But there's not much connection with West Swindon.

2007 candidate in Central (Steve Pipe) was from Abbey Meads. Again, hardly local.