Author Topic: 2010 Penhill Lib Dem Election Leaflet  (Read 13121 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 2010 Penhill Lib Dem Election Leaflet
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 06:20:30 PM »
It’s not an election leaflet, (they won't start going out until later.)

A pre-election leaflet then. Call it what you like, it wouldn't be going out if there weren't an election coming up.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Lets do a quick 'doorstep comparison' between the Lib Dem election leaflet I received a couple of years back in Freshbrook & Grangepark ward, and the non-election leaflet just distributed in Penhill.

2008 Election Leaflet FB&GP                                                                      March 2010 'non-election' leaflet Penhill

The difference in size and quality is marked, which is why I'd assumed the March 2010 leaflet illustrated in post #1 is an election leaflet. 

Is there an accounting reason why a political party might not want what appears to be a quite expensive leaflet to be described as an election leaflet?

I'm happy with the thread title as it stands. Looks like an election leaflet to me.  If subsequent post-election leaflets continue to be of the same production quality I'll happily change the title and eat lots of humble pie   ;D

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
I have had a couple of leaflets through my door of late.
One being a UKIP one which was a quarter of the size of an A4 page, and the Libdem colourful one.

The UKIP one was black and white - and Basic, I can't remember what was on it, but on the Libdem one without looking at it I remember the pictures - road humps, bus stop, kids playing pool, and rubbish.

I think the visual works better, as in pictures. Too many words are like sensory overload, so the balance needs to be right.
However, it depends on the reader as we are all different and what will catch the attention of some, may not necessarily catch the attention of others.

I think the theory behind election campaigning is interesting.

Quote from: Steve Wakefield on Yesterday at 12:48:14 PM
You have to admire the tory election phalanx as sun glints off its armour in the early morning sun. I almost feel nostalgic looking back over the campaigns I have fought alongside former comrades.

Ah Steve an impressive sight no doubt, but what’s the good of just being there on the streets at election time?
I can honestly say that during my 4 years on the council I was out on the streets WEEKLY. (and that wasn’t just walking to the paper shop or pub)
Seriously though, the effort that must have been wasted by your team of 40 traipsing the same streets just to give the BIG gang impression amazes me.

Andy you would say that, wouldn't you  but the tories learned that one from the LibDems and the results for both the Libdems and Tories proved it worked. Or are you saying it is a Tory myth that LibDems bus in people for mutual aid? I suppose that at present all the mutual aid will be going into Eastcott to retain it?

So did the Tory's use the Libdem Model because it works !
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
I think the visual works better, as in pictures. Too many words are like sensory overload, so the balance needs to be right.
However, it depends on the reader as we are all different and what will catch the attention of some, may not necessarily catch the attention of others.
More a words person myself, particularly when the pictures are of some politard standing pointing at rubbish/graffiti tags/fly-posting when their track record of doing anything about it is non-existent.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 08:27:11 PM »
I'm happy with the thread title as it stands. Looks like an election leaflet to me.  If subsequent post-election leaflets continue to be of the same production quality I'll happily change the title and eat lots of humble pie   ;D

I can't foresee any situation of producing a normal run of Focus, at any time of year, in black and white.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
More a words person myself, particularly when the pictures are of some politard standing pointing at rubbish/graffiti tags/fly-posting when their track record of doing anything about it is non-existent.

I too am a person of words, but preferably on a face to face level - I like to speak to people /the person, as on a leaflet you just read what is written, but during a face to face convo, its the non-verbal I like to pick up on.
You know if the person you are speaking to and questioning is saying what they believe /answering with honesty just by the body language alone!

A fellow community volunteer has got us tickets to go to the question time event at the Wyvern on the 26th April, and I will be watching like a Hawk !

Anyone know if cameras are allowed as I like to capture facial expression and body language etc  ;)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

I can't foresee any situation of producing a normal run of Focus, at any time of year, in black and white.

I am sure Andy will agree with me, the one he put out before the colour one was in Black and White.
I still have it I think !

Prefer colour though especially the yellow on it as it is quite an eye catching colour !

I wish the Penhill News would come out in colour, but the person who does it I know has looked into it and its quite expensive. I think they produce 2,600 copies each month !

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »
I am sure Andy will agree with me, the one he put out before the colour one was in Black and White.

Prefer colour though especially the yellow on it as it is quite an eye catching colour !

I wish the Penhill News would come out in colour, but the person who does it I know has looked into it and its quite expensive. I think they produce 2,600 copies each month !

Might that have been a survey form? We still run those off at home sometimes.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:51 PM »

Might that have been a survey form? We still run those off at home sometimes.

Ahh yes , It was one with a lot of surveys on and a petition. I think we all go that one through our letter boxes before the full council meeting that the Academy Bus was bought up and Cllr Glahom announced that he wouldn't be standing for re-election so that must have been in February , and the one before that I got was in November time I think !
I have a feeling that that one was in colour !  :)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 10:07:25 PM »
Hmmm, that’s a lot of money.... to man with a £700 a year pay cut,
I'll tell you what i will do though, I will make it another £5 if Andy actually cracks a smile  :) on his! I want to see those pearlies in plain view first though.... ;D

Tea Boy, one quick fire way to get your £700 back is to vote for a Lib Dem government…

and after years of being let down by Labour & Tories there’s not a lot to smile about…..

boom boom…  :banana:
(sorry couldn’t resist the politics)

To be honest, I’ve never managed to fake that “Politicians Smile” that you see on the pages of so many publications and that’s why you don’t see my pearlies. However you might see them on election night if all goes well…. (but then again after what looks like will be a 22 hour day I may be too knackered whatever the result)

NB: I understand that the local election count will take place immediately AFTER the general election count IF they are both on the 6th May.
[/quote]

Still think the original £5 bet i safe, as i don't believe a certain PR agency Tomlinson inc can stop themselves claiming credit for any advantageous thing thats happen in the past 4 years. however i 'm sure you are more then capable of the odd smile and its £5 to charity! go on sneak a photo, it won't take 5 mins, or 10 using photoshop!

Respect to you Andy, i voted for you when i lived on Penhill, partly because you were labour and then, after, because much like David you got off your A*** and stood up for Penhill and its people. Always a big vote winner that.

The days of labour dominaton could well be at an end.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:19 PM »

Do I get a fiver Tea-Boy  ;D

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 10:45:53 PM »
......... And what made Andy smile ?

He likes to get his hose pipe out !  ;D

It was a fun day may I add - the Seven Fields Splash Park Event back last August.

We are having another fun day event to be held on:

Saturday 24th April @ Penhill British Legion
11:00am - 5:00pm Day time event
                   &

7:00pm - till late - evening event

There will be a St George's Day Theme to it - so please come along and support us !

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »
i'll do £2.50 as i can see a lot of tongue (ooher errrr), but only the top set, had he left the bottom set at home in a glass of water :2funny:

At least its an honest and uncontrived smile (of sorts), also Paul Baker getting soaked that worth the other £2.50 for sure!

gotta be worth it, pocket or charity Chav?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 10:51:42 PM »
£3:00 quid donation to the Seven Fields Splash Park group and its a deal  ;D

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »
Come on its worth the fiver...... I'll get it to you some how

now to see if i can lose the other one....

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Come on its worth the fiver...... I'll get it to you some how

now to see if i can lose the other one....

Aww thank you Tea Boy,

You know its worth it for the cause !

Tell ya what - come and join us on the 24th April at the St Georges Day event.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
If i can I will, shall i bring the kettle?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
If i can I will, shall i bring the kettle?

I'm sure I could sort you out with a cup of the Legions finest - tea/coffee/a pint !  ;)

AndyH

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Lets do a quick 'doorstep comparison' between the Lib Dem election leaflet I received a couple of years back in Freshbrook & Grangepark ward, and the non-election leaflet just distributed in Penhill.

2008 Election Leaflet FB&GP                                                                      March 2010 'non-election' leaflet Penhill

The difference in size and quality is marked, which is why I'd assumed the March 2010 leaflet illustrated in post #1 is an election leaflet. 

Is there an accounting reason why a political party might not want what appears to be a quite expensive leaflet to be described as an election leaflet?

Looks like you’ll be eating lots of humble pie then Geoff and you know what they say about assuming. Can’t understand why the quality/size should influence why you think a leaflet should be classed as being an election leaflet. If you compare Eascott leaflets they are always full colour glossy, though sometimes an A4 and sometimes an A3.

Size/quality notwithstanding the 'doorstep comparison' as you put it doesn’t stand up. The former clearly being an eve of poll/vote today leaflet clearly asking you to support the Lib Dem candidate, whereas our Feb10 FOCUS covers the issues raised during recent campaigning which warranted the larger A3 leaflet.

AndyH

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
Ahh yes , It was one with a lot of surveys on and a petition. I think we all go that one through our letter boxes before the full council meeting that the Academy Bus was bought up and Cllr Glahom announced that he wouldn't be standing for re-election so that must have been in February , and the one before that I got was in November time I think !
I have a feeling that that one was in colour !  :)

Yes Chav the Nov09 FOCUS was a A4 full colour, (Posted below, sorry I don’t know how to embed it between paragraphs) followed by the Bus Petition and Residents Survey form which was A4 Black and White (thanks for signing the bus petition)

The Feb10 FOCUS was the one above and was delivered along with a thank you letter to those who completed the residents survey.

This weekend you’ll be having the March10 FOCUS delivered along with a letter thanking those that signed the Bus Petition.

[oversized attachment >100k deleted by admin]

AndyH

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 09:47:40 PM »
......... And what made Andy smile ?

He likes to get his hose pipe out !  ;D

It was a fun day may I add - the Seven Fields Splash Park Event back last August.

We are having another fun day event to be held on:

Saturday 24th April @ Penhill British Legion
11:00am - 5:00pm Day time event
                   &

7:00pm - till late - evening event

There will be a St George's Day Theme to it - so please come along and support us !

Chav, I wouldn’t have dared post that photo even if it was all in a good cause… (I expect someone would have accused me of using SFSP for political purposes.)
But just so people don’t think it was all one sided, I did let Baker get his own back when I did my turn in the stocks lol