Author Topic: Swindon COnservatives Launch local manifesto on National Budget Day  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Cllr David Renard tweets:

Our Swindon Manifesto is launched today. All Haydon Wick homes will either have received one or will be getting one soon

Looking forward to getting my copy - my house is probably on a Tory 'DO NOT LEAFLET' list so I will probably be disappointed.  I'll pop next door every day until I can grab a copy...and then I'll probably still be disappointed  ;D

sbc voice

Re: Swindon COnservatives Launch local manifesto on National Budget Day
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
They can't  be very proud of it - I can't find it on the web.

Maybe it's like the wifi business plan - we'll believe that it's brilliant because they tell us that it is, but we're not intelligent enough to understand it for ourselves!  ;)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
Oh! I am so excited can't wait to get it but like Geoff I amm on the "Do not post list"
Pity because the Andrex has almost run out.
Bobby

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
let me guess the format :coffee:

Local councillor Mr xxxx xxxxxxx , instrumental in building/installing/renewing/getting something done etc....  even though in truth it would have happened anyway

no mention of any hard working council staff member who probably, in actuality, did  the graft.

oh and lest we forget.....................

A picture of Justin T, Swindons very own Chesire Cat, grinning inanely........ next to bullet points similar to the above

Can some one tell me i am right

i'll pay a fiver to the person who can prove me wrong!!!

i mean it....
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
Many thanks to lamplighter Bella Donna who tells me she had to rummage through her recycling box to dig her copy of the Tory manifesto out for us.  Bless her for driving across to West Swindon and delivering it in person  :)

Bella Donna says that there was some commotion close to her house just before the manifesto was delivered, I'm thinking this might have been Eric Pickles flagging down a passing kebab van while the Swindon Tories were busy posting the end result of Lord Ashcrofts foreign Labouring through the letterboxes of Old Town.

Bella was sorry the leaflet manifesto was damp, she'd read the first two pages then lobbed it straight in the recycling bin.  She also says she's always voted conservative in the past but wasn't sure how she'd vote now.

I'm waiting for the other pages of the manifesto to dry off before putting them anywhere near my scanner, but here's the first two pages:

My eye was immediately drawn to:

These booklets have been paid for by local Conservatives. They have NOT been funded from your council tax, MPs' allowances or Trades Unions

...and I wondered whether they'll be publishing their accounts for the last two years before the 2010 elections?  I'm willing to help if they've spent all their own money on this.

I think Tea Boys prediction looks more or less spot on. We'll be able to tell better when the other pages have dried some more.

Piston Broke

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:37:58 PM »
It look like  that cost a lot of money who printed it and were. 

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Come on you TS members that fiver is still up for grabs.....

I'll extend that 'bet' to the first person who can find a Conservative leaflet that doesn't follow that trend. Just one published within the last few months that doesn't show Smiler or his south Swindon equivilent claiming credit for something they have not been part of.

P.s This fiver would have been paid for by your  local Conservative Council and thus via your council tax by way of the payrol system into my pocket
 ;D ;D ;D

It's still up for grabs.... I'll be glad to be proved wrong, i don't mind paying it or giving it to charity (perhaps SMASH), come on.... i actually want to be proved wrong
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 10:44:09 PM by Tea Boy »
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:09:01 AM »
Tea boy, would it have been a tenner if you had not taken a pay cut?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

sbc voice

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
Mine was delivered at 7.15am this morning, presumably the early Tory hopes to catch the Voter.

Tea Boy is spot on, lots of photo's of grinning Tories in front of things! They should have checked the photos more carefully though, one includes disgraced Councillor Owen Lister (He of 'guillotined babies' fame) and Maurice Fanning is prominent in another one.

Lots of pictures show Robert Buckland claiming credit for things  - how and why ????

It's 16 glossy pages so Lord Ashcroft's money has been well spent - should be good for TB Marketings profits and Swindon's recycling rates!!!

Offline PAV

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:34:56 AM »
I think it's quite smart.

There is a nice little battle forming round by where I live between the Tories, who are obviously very keen to win the general election and the Lib Dems who are very powerful on a local level. Both are campaigning hard.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
I see they use the old chestnut these leaflets are.................. I have always thought that if labour had followed that lead they could have said:

These leaflets are paid for by ordinary working people who are members of unions that are representing some of the poorest paid people in the country and yet they choose to pay a voluntary political levy from their meagre take home earnings AFTER Paying all their TAXES! Unlike some tory tax exiles who donate to local tory campaign funds apparently?

No maybe not; it's too long for a strap line, anyway as a non affiliated interloper I thought I would  add some political balance ::)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
I skimmed our copy to see how they pitched the wifi deal, but I must have missed that bit...anyone know which page it was celebrated on?

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
Tea boy, would it have been a tenner if you had not taken a pay cut?

Hmmm, thats a lot of money.... to man with a £700 a year pay cut, nope £5 is about as far as i'll go, not that i'm worried it's going anywhere of course. If its not claimed by next week end i'll donate it to SMASH any way