Author Topic: Lamplighters 13#: Plots & Plans, Thrust & Parry  (Read 9492 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Lamplighters 13#: Plots & Plans, Thrust & Parry
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
This coming Thursday, 25th March, 2010 at 10.00 a.m.  the 'Special Committee' of Swindon Borough Council will meet to push 'Forward Swindon', erm...forwards.

There's lots of gumpf available on the SBC website about the cash being dragged from all manner of different budgets to inject some life into the cashless husk that is the New Swindon Company....but I'll let TS's finance wizards have a sniff at that lot to see if it smells rotten or not, what caught my eye, and is the reason for an earlier than planned Lamplighters bulletin, is agenda item number 7: Appointment to Outside Body: Digital City (UK) Ltd.

Buried right at the back of the information pack are the details of the appointment.

2.2 The Special Committee, on behalf of the Council, is asked appoint a Councillor representative to serve on the Board of Digital City (UK) Ltd. The Leader of the Council has indicated that it is proposed to nominate Councillor Garry Perkins, Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, to serve on the Board of the company.

The Perkinators appointment to the board of digital city is interesting, especially so because Cllr Gary Perkins is, or as is more probable now was, sunk sunk up to his proverbial nuts in a plot to replace Cllr Roderick Bluh as Leader of the Conservative group and, by default, the council itself.

I'm wondering how long the appointment of Cllr Perkins has been on the cards because, until very recently, he was strongly tipped to on his last legs and on his way out of the cabinet. 

Did Bluh get wind of the plot and purchase some extra loyalty by sticking Gary on the Board of Digital City as well as the board position he already holds at Swindon Commercial Services, or has Cllr Perkins being playing both ends against the middle to get himself the best possible outcome?

I'm not blabbing, (yet), who I think Gary was supposed to be nominating for the leadership, but it will be interesting to see if that particular leadership bid will now evaporate or solidify.  Has there been a clever bit of political manoeuvring by Rod Bluh and his one trustworthy consigliere, or is this pork-barrel survivalist politics at its very worst?

Know better? show me I'm wrong: leaks@talkswindon.org

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Re: Lamplighters 13#: Plots & Plans, Thrust & Parry
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:41 PM »

Did Bluh get wind of the plot and purchase some extra loyalty by sticking Gary on the Board of Digital City

I do not think that Cllr Bluh will purchase much loyalty handing over the toxic challis to Cllr Perkins.
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
Tip just received via the Lamplighters:

Quote from: A lamplighter
"There's a lot of chatter about a vote of no-confidence in the leader.  Actually, it has been called a vote of 'No F****ing Confidence' in the leader."

Offline Ringer

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
Rumours are thick and fast today as a vacuum has been left after Anne's foray This is being filled by rumours. cllr Perkins has bottled it? But what? Someone has sold out? But who? A Sir for a tory? Yeah but who? Lots of plotting and sub plotting woteva, a whip trying to whip, but no one cares. 

Thrust and parry you are lucky you are not in the thick of it its more like Badajoz (In a hell before daylight)  around here.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »

Ringer: You've heard the rumour that Cllr Bawden's name has been suggested for a Knighthood?

I'd dismissed it as a 'blanketing' rumour to keep Bawden docile until Bluh is safely re-elected/de-selected.   Bawden is still furious, (I'm told), after his abortive attempt to muzzle Rods Rottweiller.

I can't picture Bawden as a 'Sir'.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
See I said rumours flying around all over the place and a plan with more holes in it than a second hand dartboard.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »
But but but they are still looking a happy crowd in the Adver today - and confident about being re-elected.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
Bawden to get Knighted?
 You have this completely wrong.
Bluh said Bawden should "Get knotted"
Bobby

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:49 AM »
Bawden to get Knighted?  You have this completely wrong.  Bluh said Bawden should "Get knotted"

Bluh tying Bawden up in knots of self-doubt to keep him out of the way is more like it.

And by 'self-doubt' I mean he's already having trouble deciding which tie to wear to the palace.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:42 AM »
I wish our elected representatives spent as much time working for the benefit of the people who elect them as they do on other matters.

Time for big changes, because I am not sure how long people will put up with all this b******s, before getting seriously mad and we all know how people in Swindon are one minute 'not interested' and one minute later are very angry
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
Posted on my blog http://www.councillorstevewakefield.org.uk/?p=533 but reproduced here for those interested.

Did some one mention a vote of confidence? Is that in the Leader or the process? There are some who say it is not in the Leader's best interest to allow that either way for obvious reasons, it may also be a widespread view held cross party?  Though some may also be saying that it will be politically driven from other parties? My view is, it should be all about doing something that is serving the public interest, is that not in itself a good reason why a vote needs to be considered?

Or is there no stomach for a confidence vote amongst parties on the council? I am awaiting for news like the rest on TS about the definate possibility of a maybe of a confidence vote. Interestingly despite my views on acting in the public interest being known I  have as yet not been approached to propose or second any such confidence motion to full council.

However do not assume that does not mean in any way I am not considering this possibility as a matter in the public interest. My position is an open secret that is why it is also interesting not to have been approached openly.  Bearing in mind that it has been hinted that by some surreptitiouslythat there is a definite possibility of a maybe, that I could be damaging my political reputation by remaining stubbornly independent on the Wi-fi. If my political reputation is damaged by me acting in the public interest then so be it. I serve the public interest not a party :)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:20:16 PM »
i am hearing the vote will take place in april, unless Rod quits first

To win it will need 30 votes (if everyone turns up)
Labour have 12
LD 3
Ind 2
so will need 13 tories to win it

now, this is where labour have to be clever - if they make it against the whole administration you may get people who are 50:50 may be loyal to the party, where as if it's specific to being about Rod there could well be more who will be 'happy' to vote with labour

anyone want to guess the 13 names?

(070540)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 01:00:15 PM »

Labour have 12
LD 3
Ind 2

This presupposes that all labour, Lib Dem and Independent Cllr's would vote against Bluh.  I'm not convinced that's a sensible place to start from.

I think between 15 and 20 Tories would be needed to oust Roderick Bluh. 

The £450,000 question is:  Who would propose and second the motion? 

I don't want to even speculate on proposers and seconders of a motion, because even idle speculation is likely to bring the Rodigarchy's cHarm police to the door of anyone implicated in a threat to the Reign of Rod.

But if I was to speculate I'd say Cllr Michael Dickinson is just unpredictable enough to have a go, especially if he was backed up by Mad Dog Nick Martin  :)

Offline Ringer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 01:05:26 PM »

Labour have 12
LD 3
Ind 2

now, this is where labour have to be clever - if they make it against the whole administration you may get people who are 50:50 may be loyal to the party, where as if it's specific to being about Rod there could well be more who will be 'happy' to vote with labour

I think I could name more actually but  I won't :-X I am going to  :coffee: I do not want a definite possibilty of a maybe being delivered on any one but MD now that is a good one but which MD? ;D

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 01:30:43 PM »
there is a definite possibility of a maybe, that I could be damaging my political reputation by remaining stubbornly independent on the Wi-fi. If my political reputation is damaged by me acting in the public interest then so be it. I serve the public interest not a party :)

Interesting point.  I've always thought that local politicians have two, if not three reputations to consider.

1. A reputation within a party or political group.

2. A reputation in the local community and ward which they represent.

3. A professional 'worklife' reputation.

I personally don't give a rats arse tail about my councillors reputation within a political group, but I do care that their reputation within the community and ward is based on merit, actions and honesty. 

Generally speaking I think a good reputation in their working life (outside of local politics) will initially help their political reputation within a political group.  It's often downhill after that though, with councillors often being carefully led to believe that their political 'group' reputation is more important than their external ones.  Sadly, many councillors believe this, and end up trapped in a cycle of being variously whipped and bullied into staying 'on message' with the threat of 'reputational damage' being waved over them regularly.

I think what Wakey is being subjected to is very much a "return to the herd or else!" type threat....and this would only be issued if the herd has recognised him as a threat., and if this isn't the case, why bother?  Maybe the herd has just remembered that Cllr Wakefield probably knows where the skeletons are buried.  Whatever, what the political herd thinks is almost irrelevant to the public, but what the public thinks is not irrelevant to the herd. 

Herd politicians pat each other on the back and tell each other that public opinion is unimportant and easily steered with leaflets.  "Talkswindon", I hear regularly, "Is unimportant and irrelevant, no one reads it and it's the same 6 people talking at each other day after day".   One Cllr can often be heard to say: "It's my golden rule, I never go on Talkswindon", yet two years ago the admin team discovered they had three separate Talkswindon accounts and had been logging in with someone else's account, (using a illegitimately obtained password).   Such shenanigans don't really bother me but I think risking damage to both professional and political reputations just to hide the fact they were using Talkswindon indicates that at least some of them thought the potential benefit outweighed the risk of discovery?  Who honestly knows, some of them aren't particularly bright.

The WiFiasco is providing plenty of  examples of civic obfuscation, concealment, deceit and, in some cases, outright lying which all reinforce my opinion that the bigger the herd gets, the worse the behaviour will become.   What the Tory herd says about Talkswindon in the corridors of the civic is almost irrelevant as it's simply another sign of 'Ivory Tower' syndrome. 

The continuing presence of Talkswindons huge readership, (currently averaging 1,800 unique visits each and every day), and the ongoing high standard of contributions from members is the only proof I need that the current anti-TS briefing by Tory councillors is panic driven.  TS is four years old later this month. I reckon it will outlast the careers of several Tory councillors....

....Anyway, do we, as voters, deserve political herd animals that are mentally stuck between the twin electric fences of the whip system and 'party lines', or do we want representatives that can think for themselves and will challenge the executive when it is actually required, not when the executive deems it to be allowable?, an executive, I might add, that seems to think it can reach out and whip members of the opposition groups and independents as easily as it whips one of its own.

Keep it up Wakefield, non illegitimi carborundum.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »

Labour have 12
LD 3
Ind 2

I think I could name more actually but  I won't :-X I am going to  :coffee: I do not want a definite possibilty of a maybe being delivered on any one but MD now that is a good one but which MD? ;D

:agreed: Ringer I have not been approached to vote either way and anyway SL why would the Leader quit? He is being robust, innovative, open to strong scrutiny, that does not sound like a quitter to me. ))))

Geoff thanks, but I can't help but think, a definate possibility of a maybe, looks like a new political phrase has been founded, as usual it appears to have a meaning all of its own :2funny: Better than being a loose cannon ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »

I'm impressed with the quality of your information SwindonLad  :)

A message* has just dropped dropped into the Leakline inbox which indicates you've hit the nail firmly on the head and confirms that the position of Rod Bluh is increasingly being regarded as 'untenable' in Euclid Street.

Now the Parliamentary Debate has been concluded the pause in the work of the District Auditor is probably over and calls for external examination of the wifi 'deal' and Councillors Bluhs various and regular excursions outside proper governance framework(s) look set to be satisfied.

I'll probably publish this message in conjunction with another interesting factoid tomorrow  :)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
1. A reputation within a party or political group.

2. A reputation in the local community and ward which they represent.

3. A professional 'worklife' reputation.

Interesting order. Deliberate or Freudian?

My money, if that shite Drling has left me any, is on deliberate.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »
Ringer: You've heard the rumour that Cllr Bawden's name has been suggested for a Knighthood?

If there's anyone who should never be given a knighthood, it's cllr Bawden.

I was going to post his quote in the Guardian about how he'd brokered the deal which led to the current conflict between housing developers and people who object to the idea of putting buildings up all over the farmland between Coate Water and the A419 / Liddington Hill.

But I checked the link I'd originally posted, and cllr Bawden's boast about how he'd enabled the desecration of one of Swindon's favourite places was strangely missing from it.

Here's the Guardian link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/mar/17/politics.highereducation

And here's what I posted at the time (including the full article from the Guardian as it was at the time): http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=2756.msg17208#msg17208

:-\
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Piston Broke

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »
Simon Are you are implying that only sandal wearing, tied dyed skirt/shirt clad people should qualify for a "Knighthood"?  Arise Sir Michael Bawden of the Planks and  go forth to multiply the Band D Serfdom, that the Rodarchy Empire so desperately needs to bring warmth comfort and Wi-fi to its subjucated inhabitants.  :2funny:

Pass the lentils to the left hand side.