Author Topic: Lamplighters #11: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum....  (Read 7919 times)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Re: Lamplighters #11: A funny thing happened on the way to the forum....
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
Why do i get a feeling that Hitesh Patel is being offered up as a sacrifical victim to protect Rod?

nothing like hiding behind an officer? wonder what the truth is?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:27 PM »
I think it might be more a case of suicide, though I suspect Mr Bluh wouldn't be disappointed of it took the spotlight off him.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 09:05:32 PM »
Why do i get a feeling that Hitesh Patel is being offered up as a sacrifical victim to protect Rod?

nothing like hiding behind an officer? wonder what the truth is?

I don't think this is the case at all.  Mr Patel, as a senior officer must have been party to the deal in which his position was set out quite clearly.  First 3 months an observer, after that and subject to 'full council' approval he would be the SBC nominated director on the board of Digital City.

It isn't an accident to sign documents establishing yourself as a director, a month before the deal is done and some 4 months before it is ever intended for you to take up the appointment. It was clearly something he was very proud of as he included it in his on line CV. It is clear that he should have gone back to his superiors and told them a mistake had occurred, if it was a mistake.

Of course the question not yet asked is 'what did Rikki Hunt do about this, it beggars belief to think that he didn't know Mr Patel was a director of HIS COMPANY.  The forms were prepared by the same solicitors on the same day, one can reasonably assume that the two men were together when they signed Form 288a.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
Hmmm, your quite correct, but surely SBC has a code of conduct for any employee, from my own experience of working for SBC in my lowly position, i can't just take a second job without letting:

1. the boss know about it
and
2. getting his okay, as there should not be conflict  between the two jobs

I thought that to do so without letting your manager know was an act of gross misconduct and resulted in instant dismissal (or at least it is to the 'scum' at the bottom)

surely this is as relevent to Hitesh Patel as it is to me? or are the 'high flyers' protected when the Sh1t hits the fan?

If this has indeed happened then is a Director going to be treated any different to a street sweeper or bin man or gardener?

If his 'manager' did know then why denials from of his status from Rod, is the 'Rotten' streak at SBC more extensive than at first apparent
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
Spot on 'Tea boy' and you will see that i have asked that very question.  What is the HR policy and process?

There are a number of points to consider:-
1. Did his boss know or did he not know
2. If he knew when did he know and what did he do
3. If he knew who did he tell - clearly not Rod Bluh
4. If he knew at a later date (say very early Jan, which is when i knew) why didn't he take action to correct the misconception that Mr P wasn't a director
5. As soon as they knew (assume later than me) why didn't they then do something
6. If they didn't know before last weeks Cabinet they all ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. A simple check on Companies House would have told all - failing that I assume SBC paid Townsends a fee for sorting out Form 288a for Mr P and that must have been paid by now.
7. Mr P has not tried to deny his position (until recently when he attempted to change is on line profile) which was pretty silly as it suggests he had something to hide.

Offline komadori

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
It'll have a code of conduct and even if that code allows staff to have multiple jobs, they still have an obligation to declare them whenever a potential conflict of interest could occur, for example when giving advice to invest in a company of which they are already a director.

6. If they didn't know before last weeks Cabinet they all ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.
If seems they didn't know because the statement that Mr Patel wasn't a director was repeated at that meeting.

A simple check on Companies House would have told all - failing that I assume SBC paid Townsends a fee for sorting out Form 288a for Mr P and that must have been paid by now.
I assume that the fee was paid by Digital City (UK) Ltd, not the council.

You would have thought the the council's due diligence checks before investing would have included a check of Companies House records. I find it very hard to believe that his directorship wasn't known about by others involved in this decision, unless, of course, their due diligence was significantly less diligent than they would like us to believe.

Offline komadori

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:34 PM »
Yet by Cabinet they were saying something very different. You could be forgiven for thinking that when council officers come to him for advice on a decision delegated to them, Mr Bluh believes that the best advice he can give is advice based on total, unadulterated ignorance. He seems to take the same approach when answering questions at council meetings.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 08:23:10 AM »
Either way no one comes out of this with any credit whatsoever and please do not forget folks that these people are in charge of our future with our money.  hmm.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Piston Broke

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »
Either way no one comes out of this with any credit whatsoever and please do not forget folks that these people are in charge of our future with our money.  hmm.

Does that mean Cllr Keith Williams? I thought you writ in another thread that he helped you with your questions. Did he help you with what to ask or did he give you help on the points you needed to make about this thing. You  said he sat next to you and assisted you with your questions and this has thrown me not sure what you meant? It made me think can people in the cabinet help you with questions about what the council is doing if I am being :uglystupid2: then tell me as it is.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 12:54:29 PM »
Yet by Cabinet they were saying something very different. You could be forgiven for thinking that when council officers come to him for advice on a decision delegated to them, Mr Bluh believes that the best advice he can give is advice based on total, unadulterated ignorance. He seems to take the same approach when answering questions at council meetings.

The leader can only give an answer based on the best advice he has been given by his officers who are duty bound to give their best advice to him. They are obliged to be open and honest with him and co-operate and decline to take or be involved political decisons. However they do carry out political decisions as council's are driven politically.

Ignorance, who is the ignorant one?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 02:46:48 PM »
I pinched this quote from the Big Weekend thread.

'If I make a mistake I will admit it straight away and look for ways to resolve any issues. I will not expect others to take responsibility for my actions.

I encourage and enable my managers to take reposnibility for poor performance within their teams."

Does anyone thinks this applies to Rod and are we not happy because he shows no sign of being anything other than right all the time?  Interesting thought Rod because if you could just admit just once you were wrong about something we might be able to move on.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »

Does that mean Cllr Keith Williams? I thought you writ in another thread that he helped you with your questions. Did he help you with what to ask or did he give you help on the points you needed to make about this thing. You  said he sat next to you and assisted you with your questions and this has thrown me not sure what you meant? It made me think can people in the cabinet help you with questions about what the council is doing if I am being :uglystupid2: then tell me as it is.

To makes things clear PB keith Williams intervened to suggest the way in which I should couch my question, nothing less nothing more.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 03:21:18 PM »
I pinched this quote from the Big Weekend thread.

'If I make a mistake I will admit it straight away and look for ways to resolve any issues. I will not expect others to take responsibility for my actions.

I encourage and enable my managers to take reposnibility for poor performance within their teams."

Does anyone thinks this applies to Rod and are we not happy because he shows no sign of being anything other than right all the time?  Interesting thought Rod because if you could just admit just once you were wrong about something we might be able to move on.

Funny that's almost word for word what's on that the mangers card for intouch 'personal development folder' that's being discussed on another thread! He must have just come out of a course on it.  I will go there and put up what the Members card says.  Follow me.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »
I genuinely do not know which is the greater crime, not knowing what is going on in the organisation of which you are leader or running for cover when you are stuck in the headlights?